Misused Terms You're Sick of Seeing

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Hopi mothers are traditionally the head of the family, women are in charge of business and the economy, and they are the primary property holders, WHen men marry, they become part of the woman's family, they take the woman's clan name, and women are the ones who ultimately decide for their villages and families the best course of action. Women ultimately decided who the tribe conducted trade with, and who they did not, if a village was to move or not, how resources to be allocated ect...
If the women did not agree, it is not going to happen. Simply because Hopi do not believe in " chiefs" does not mean women do not make the final decisions.
That sure does sound like someone being in authority over another. Which is what you said your Matriarchy didn't do. Not saying there is anything wrong with a structure of authority in a society since...well that's pretty much required for something to be a society. Simply pointing out that you seemed to contradict yourself between posts.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:
People saying 'SJW' and 'feminazi'. There is no situation in which you should say those words. Stop.
What about to refer to the author of this blog?
It is my favourite crazy person blog.

https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/

I challenge you to read this post and not use the word feminazi.
oooh or maybe this one that advocates male genocide.

https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/utopia-what-would-a-womens-society-look-like/
No, many words come to mind when reading this, but that isn't one of them. I just pity them instead that they are so lacking in orgasms that they cannot understand how other women desire enjoy sex multiple times a day and no it is not " rape" to do so. They are just very ignorant in their understanding of the enjoyment of sexual gratification, which is sad, but no I do not think spewing out equally ignorant terms would be the appropriate response.

I actually come from a Matriarchy, and in that Matriarchy sex was celebrated as one of the most beautiful and enjoyable parts of life. Celebrated openly and often publicly..Men are not subordinated in Matriarchy, no one is, in fact in our culture it was considered unthinkable for anyone to have authority over another, that very idea was considered toxic.

The best word to describe her nonsense would be " delusional".
How can it have been a Matriarchy without having a leader who was female.

matriarchy is a "form of social organization in which the mother or oldest female is the head of the family, and descent and relationship are reckoned through the female line; government or rule by a woman or women."
Hopi mothers are traditionally the head of the family, women are in charge of business and the economy, and they are the primary property holders, WHen men marry, they become part of the woman's family, they take the woman's clan name, and women are the ones who ultimately decide for their villages and families the best course of action. Women ultimately decided who the tribe conducted trade with, and who they did not, if a village was to move or not, how resources to be allocated ect...
If the women did not agree, it is not going to happen. Simply because Hopi do not believe in " chiefs" does not mean women do not make the final decisions.
I'd then argue that (although not as severe as most other cultures, especially historical, subordination of women) if women have the final say on major decisions that men are "lesser" in that culture.
You may want to argue that, but the Hopi men do not. In a society without force used, Men are not denied from "women's roles" as women have been denied "men's roles" in western society, it is not the same, as there is no forced used, there was no " no you can't do that", That is an invention that doesn't exist in Hopi society.. Men could do " women's roles' however, most men chose not to, just as women could do what is considered "men's roles" and most chose not to, though there were some males who chose to take on female roles and females who chose to take on male roles, but it was the exception not the rule. In a voluntary respectful society, treating anyone as lesser has no need to exist. Treating people with disrespect was considered toxic and unacceptable behavior.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Scars Unseen said:
Eddie the head said:
Scars Unseen said:
Only it doesn't. "That begs the question" doesn't really make sense as a functional phrase. What people mean when they say that is that a situation calls for a question. Try applying similar wording to any other situation where begging might occur. "The rich man was passing through an alley. That begs the coin." It makes no sense.

As was pointed out above, "That raises the question" is more accurate. A situation occurs. A question is raised in response.
It's another idiom. Yeah it's a far cry form making any logical sense, but so is the idiom "far cry." Whatever I'm not going to burn the midnight oil debating this. Besides I'm not an English major so take what I say with a grain of salt. I just hope I can cut the mustard.
An incorrectly used idiom. Which is my complaint.
Not really it's just not the particular definition that you, and some "intellectuals," might like. Language is a malleable social construct. Meaning that if enough people start using a phrase in a certain way it becomes correct, or the very least it stops being incorrect.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Lil devils x said:

matriarchy is a "form of social organization in which the mother or oldest female is the head of the family, and descent and relationship are reckoned through the female line; government or rule by a woman or women."
[snip]
Ok, this seems to contradict this point

Lil devils x said:
Men are not subordinated in Matriarchy, no one is, in fact in our culture it was considered unthinkable for anyone to have authority over another, that very idea was considered toxic.
How can any group be the ones to make final calls, posses authorization or veto power over decisions, but still claim to find the concept of authority over others "toxic and unthinkable"?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Lil devils x said:
That sure does sound like someone being in authority over another. Which is what you said your Matriarchy didn't do. Not saying there is anything wrong with a structure of authority in a society since...well that's pretty much required for something to be a society. Simply pointing out that you seemed to contradict yourself between posts.
That sounds like an authority over another due to what you are accustomed to, having authority over another is a foreign invention. No force is used, no one is told they "can't do that" some men took on women's roles and some women took on men's roles, but it was rare for it to happen. There as no force used or disrespect, ultimatums were not given. IT is more of " This is what I am going to do, you are welcome to join or not."

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Olas said:
MajorTomServo said:
Saying "I could care less."

That means you do care.

At least a little.
WORD CRIIIIIMMES!!!!

San Martin said:
People saying 'SJW' and 'feminazi'. There is no situation in which you should say those words. Stop.
I understand feminazi, but what's wrong with SJW? And what term would be preferred? I'm being serious because as much as I don't care really care about semantics, I do think it's useful to have SOME sort of word for people with a unified sentiment.

Auron225 said:
OCD

Everyone and their mother seems to have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder these days, but all with exceptionally mild cases which just mean that they "like things to be kinda tidy in general".

No. OCD refers to someone who will FREAK OUT if things aren't the way they are "required" to be, not someone will laugh and say "Nooo, stop itttt, I'm Oh-See-Deeeeeeee".
I think the problem might stem from the fact that the CORRECT term for that sort of behavior starts with the word "anal" and "don't mind me, I'm just anal" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
The problem with SJW I'd say I'd that there is no clear unified sentiment. The way people use the word is far too quick to determine some sort of unified sentiment. It's also rather hard to have a word that describes a group with a unified sentiment when that word is often used as a sort of pejorative. What constitutes an SJW is vague and often left to personal interpretation, generally heavily dependent on what one dislikes and traits that are determined rather subjectively.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
tilmoph said:
Lil devils x said:

[snip]
Ok, this seems to contradict this point

Lil devils x said:
Men are not subordinated in Matriarchy, no one is, in fact in our culture it was considered unthinkable for anyone to have authority over another, that very idea was considered toxic.
How can any group be the ones to make final calls, posses authorization or veto power over decisions, but still claim to find the concept of authority over others "toxic and unthinkable"?
It is not contradictory as they do have to make the decision for themselves in the end, however, with women being the primary property holders and the primary ones to conduct business, what they chose to do affected the course of actions of those things.

" This is what I am going to do." "Feel free to join me or not." "You can choose to do what you want to do." Force is not necessary, authority over others is not necessary to make the final decision. You do not need to tell someone this is what they must do to offer to let them join you. It is their choice as to whether or not they want to. The men didn't want to live without the women, so of course they joined them, but that was their decision to do so. Men could choose to go live by themselves if they wanted to, even doing so the Hopi women would still come by their home and make sure they had dinner for the night as they did everyone else regardless.

Para199x

Nov 18, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:

https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/utopia-what-would-a-womens-society-look-like/
No, many words come to mind when reading this, but that isn't one of them. I just pity them instead that they are so lacking in orgasms that they cannot understand how other women desire enjoy sex multiple times a day and no it is not " rape" to do so. They are just very ignorant in their understanding of the enjoyment of sexual gratification, which is sad, but no I do not think spewing out equally ignorant terms would be the appropriate response.

I actually come from a Matriarchy, and in that Matriarchy sex was celebrated as one of the most beautiful and enjoyable parts of life. Celebrated openly and often publicly..Men are not subordinated in Matriarchy, no one is, in fact in our culture it was considered unthinkable for anyone to have authority over another, that very idea was considered toxic.

I'd then argue that (although not as severe as most other cultures, especially historical, subordination of women) if women have the final say on major decisions that men are "lesser" in that culture.
You may want to argue that, but the Hopi men do not. In a society without force used, Men are not denied from "women's roles" as women have been denied "men's roles" in western society, it is not the same, as there is no forced used, there was no " no you can't do that", That is an invention that doesn't exist in Hopi society.. Men could do " women's roles' however, most men chose not to, just as women could do what is considered "men's roles" and most chose not to, though there were some males who chose to take on female roles and females who chose to take on male roles, but it was the exception not the rule. In a voluntary respectful society, treating anyone as lesser has no need to exist. Treating people with disrespect was considered toxic and unacceptable behavior.
I guess I'm a little jaded, that sounds almost too utopian an ideal to actually exist. I'm jealous.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Secondhand Revenant said:
The problem with SJW I'd say I'd that there is no clear unified sentiment. The way people use the word is far too quick to determine some sort of unified sentiment. It's also rather hard to have a word that describes a group with a unified sentiment when that word is often used as a sort of pejorative. What constitutes an SJW is vague and often left to personal interpretation, generally heavily dependent on what one dislikes and traits that are determined rather subjectively.
It's definitely vague and somewhat subject to personal interpretation, but so are lots of words like "liberal" or "hipster". There's no precedent for groups to need an exact criteria in order for us to have terms for them.

As for it being a pejorative? I don't really care, as long as it doesn't imply something that misrepresents the actual group (like "feminazi") I don't consider it a real problem. Besides, this is a thread about misused terms, not terms people find offensive.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:

I guess I'm a little jaded, that sounds almost too utopian an ideal to actually exist. I'm jealous.
I guess maybe I shouldn't tell you then that not only did they get to choose what they wanted to do, they had tests they gave the children to see what the child was interested in so they could specialize that child's education to allow them to become the best and most successful at what they were interested in... SO if you were a little boy and you were interested in fashion designing, for example, they would give you all the resources available to do so as a child and the best training available so that you could master it as well.

Para199x

Nov 18, 2010
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Para199x said:
Lil devils x said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:

I guess maybe I shouldn't tell you then that not only did they get to choose what they wanted to do, they had tests they gave the children to see what the child was interested in so they could specialize that child's education to allow them to become the best and most successful at what they were interested in... SO if you were a little boy and you were interested in fashion designing, for example, they would give you all the resources available to do so as a child and the best training available so that you could master it as well.
Can I hate you, just a little?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Olas said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
It's definitely vague and somewhat subject to personal interpretation, but so are lots of words like "liberal" or "hipster". There's no precedent for groups to need an exact criteria in order for us to have terms for them.

As for it being a pejorative? I don't really care, as long as it doesn't imply something that misrepresents the actual group (like "feminazi") I don't consider it a real problem. Besides, this is a thread about misused terms, not terms people find offensive.
I mentioned pejorative as a point on how it makes it hard to be unified. It is generally not a term one self identifies with, unlike liberal, for example. Some do, but I'd say the majority do not making it more muddled. And you originally spoke of a unified sentiment.

I also never said it needed an exact criteria. But you tried to defend the word by talking of having a word for people with a unified sentiment. When the word is so broad you may as well just be saying "You're an idiot" then that defense really falls flat. Feel free to say it doesn't need to be about a group with a unified sentiment but don't try it after using it as a defense.

Some people really seem to love to hunt for people finding something offensive, whether it is there or not apparently.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
"Great British", as used in the likes of pompous political talk about "the Great British public". The word "Great" in Great Britain does not mean "Really good". It means "larger", so I wish people would stop implying it means the former.

Oh, also the word "defenestration". Defenestration is to bibliophiles what Schrodinger's cat is to nerds; a thing which people think is a smart, esoteric term that they pride themselves on knowing about, when they really shouldn't. In fact it is a well known, garden variety word that gets crow-barred onto every list of "obscure/favourite English words".

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
"Entitled". If you are entitled, that means you should have whatever you are entitled to. If you mean that someone wants more than they are due, the term is over-entitled.

MeatMachine said:
"[country/continent]-American"

In the United States, no one is truly American; everyone is African-American, or Italian-American, or simply Jewish. We all like to think that because our great, great, great grandparents immigrated to New York from Dublin back in the early 20th century, that makes us honorarily Irish.
I agree with this. Unless you were born and raised in Ireland, you are not Irish.

Major_Tom said:
The question is not "does god exist" it's "do YOU believe in god" and there are only two possible answers.
There aren't only 2 answers. I don't know is an answer. I don't have enough information to speculate is another, as is I don't care.

FirstNameLastName said:
What's with all the people whining about "cisgender" in this thread? Last time I checked, this was a thread about words that are commonly misused, not words you have some bizarre hatred for.
Another one of mine is people who open they're post by accusing everyone they disagree with of "whining". It is an unnecessary insult and just makes the entire conversation hostile.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
"Pretentious"

People use that all the time to describe things that they didn't like which other people called smart. It's their way of trying to make their opinion seem more important than others.

Also, "bad writing"

I highly doubt that most people who make this claim are even remotely qualified to determine what bad writing really is. Usually when I ask someone to explain why something was badly written, or point to a specific example, they just give a really general response. It's another case of, "I didn't like this thing so I'll make my opinion seem extra valid by throwing this phrase around."

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
SJW.

Not so much that there are no such thing as SJW but rather, a troll can immediately just babble some social justice mumbo jumbo, insult someone using a buzzword and they got from just being a troll to being 'something special'. I'd have no problem with it if people stopped attributing the term automatically to Tumblr, which has plenty of disgusting people who aren't SJWs.

(This could also apply to 'femnazi', 'socialist','democrat', 'republican', really any political or social buzzword, frankly.)

There's also the issue that threats from SJW's are considered a major and big deal, but I've been getting death and rape threats ever since I came out as Asexual/female elsewhere. I'm sensing a double standard, is all.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
San Martin said:
THey're to mock the radical fridges of their groups. The first against those who never stop being outraged at social issues either picking up new ones to be mad about or refusing to admit that their cause has accomplished their goals, while the latter is mocking truly misandrist women who think the entire male gender are rapists and should be wiped out.

Calling any person who champions a social cause or a feminist one of those is stupid and goes too far, calling the nut balls and their insane ideas that is very apt.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:
Rape culture: The idea that we live in a rape culture is ridiculous. In a society where male students will be expelled immediately and found guilty until proven innocent, there is no such thing as a rape culture.
Definitely this. I hate this stupid term so much. No, we do not live in a "rape culture". Some highly tribal parts of central Asia? That's a rape culture. A first world western country? No it's fucking not, stop being so stupid.
While I wholeheartedly beleive we don't live in a rape culture, when you read stories about victims being silenced and punished while perpetrators are protected at all costs by authorities (stuff like high schools protecting football players), it gets hard to still beleive we don't live in a rape culture. While victims are shamed and perpetrators are protected, its hard to fault that some parts of rape culture are still seeped into our society, we may not be living in a rape culture but I think aspects of it are in our society.