Misused Terms You're Sick of Seeing

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
San Martin said:
People saying 'SJW' and 'feminazi'. There is no situation in which you should say those words. Stop.
What about to refer to the author of this blog?
It is my favourite crazy person blog.

https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/piv-is-always-rape-ok/

I challenge you to read this post and not use the word feminazi.
oooh or maybe this one that advocates male genocide.

https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/utopia-what-would-a-womens-society-look-like/

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:
People saying 'SJW' and 'feminazi'. There is no situation in which you should say those words. Stop.

https://witchwind.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/utopia-what-would-a-womens-society-look-like/
Feminazi was coined to attack feminists in general, though. Now, sure, there are people who are morally very wrong, often with no idea what the hell they are blathering on about, but words like feminazi, or generally anything else ending with Nazi, really aren't helpful.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
IOwnTheSpire said:
Major_Tom said:
I noticed a lot of people try to avoid label 'atheist' because they don't know what it actually means. Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. That's it.
If all it is a lack of belief, why do atheists wear something they lack on their sleeve? Why do they form groups and organizations based around something they lack? Why is there a symbol (the red A) for something they lack? We don't have a word for someone who isn't a golfer or a geologist or a lawyer other than attaching non- to it, but many atheists behave like an organized movement.

The root of the word atheism derives from lack of belief, but its usage in society has evolved to mean something beyond its original form. Attaching the label of atheism to someone by splitting hairs over technicalities only creates stigmas and biases.
Because I am pretty sure that atheists are the most hated group of humans, strength in numbers.

thaluikhain said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:

Feminazi was coined to attack feminists in general, though. Now, sure, there are people who are morally very wrong, often with no idea what the hell they are blathering on about, but words like feminazi, or generally anything else ending with Nazi, really aren't helpful.
But she is literally advocating genocide based on radical feminist ideals. Strikes me as pretty Nazi, but also feminist. Feminazi, Totally apt. I would argue against using this crazy lady as some kind of straw man, but its not like we shy away from calling other people Nazi if the actually are Nazis

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:

No, many words come to mind when reading this, but that isn't one of them. I just pity them instead that they are so lacking in orgasms that they cannot understand how other women desire enjoy sex multiple times a day and no it is not " rape" to do so. They are just very ignorant in their understanding of the enjoyment of sexual gratification, which is sad, but no I do not think spewing out equally ignorant terms would be the appropriate response.

I actually come from a Matriarchy, and in that Matriarchy sex was celebrated as one of the most beautiful and enjoyable parts of life. Celebrated openly and often publicly..Men are not subordinated in Matriarchy, no one is, in fact in our culture it was considered unthinkable for anyone to have authority over another, that very idea was considered toxic.

The best word to describe her nonsense would be " delusional".

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Lil devils x said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:

No, many words come to mind when reading this, but that isn't one of them. I just pity them instead that they are so lacking in orgasms that they cannot understand how other women desire enjoy sex multiple times a day and no it is not " rape" to do so. They are just very ignorant in their understanding of the enjoyment of sexual gratification, which is sad, but no I do not think spewing out equally ignorant terms would be the appropriate response.

I actually come from a Matriarchy, and in that Matriarchy sex was celebrated as one of the most beautiful and enjoyable parts of life. Celebrated openly and often publicly.. The best word to describe her nonsense would be " delusional".
I would argue that the Nazis were clearly delusional as well, blaming the jews, serbs, polish, handicapped.... anyone else they decided they did not like for all the problems they faced in their country. The author of this blog blames men for everything they experience in their life, If she were to somehow obtain political power, what do you think would happen?

ps. I am super interested in your matriarchy.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Reasonable Atheist said:
Lil devils x said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
San Martin said:

I actually come from a Matriarchy, and in that Matriarchy sex was celebrated as one of the most beautiful and enjoyable parts of life. Celebrated openly and often publicly.. The best word to describe her nonsense would be " delusional".
I would argue that the Nazis were clearly delusional as well, blaming the jews, serbs, polish, handicapped.... anyone else they decided they did not like for all the problems they faced in their country. The author of this blog blames men for everything they experience in their life, If she were to somehow obtain political power, what do you think would happen?

ps. I am super interested in your matriarchy.
The difference of course is her ideas are not widespread, Most Feminists will have nothing to do with her delusional rambling. The Nazi ideas were very widespread, that is what gave them power in the first place.

In traditional Hopi society the man takes woman's clan name and becomes a part of the woman's family upon marriage. Women traditionally owned property and were in control of business and the economy. Men could also do so, but this was primarily done by women. It is core to Hopi beliefs that no person can rule over another, nor can one give their choice to another, they must speak for themselves as they will have to live with whatever is decided in the end. ( Thus why Hopi core beliefs are in conflict with a representative society, as there is a long history involved that I am not going into right now with this as well)

Hopi believe that we can create an actual paradise or a hell on this earth by our own real actions in our lifetimes, that we have the power to nurture and grow our environment or destroy it and the choice is up to us to determine what we do, as we are strong believers in self determination of our future. While Hopi believe prophecies can tell us what can happen in the future, it is not set in stone, it is also believed we can change this, that instead prophecies are a gift of the opportunity to change and determine the future.
Hopi is a voluntary society where everyone voluntarily helps one another and shares all they have. Hopi believe it is mankinds purpose on this earth to keep our promise to the earth to take care of the earth and all that dwell upon it for allowing us to live here. That our purpose is to eb the caretakers of the earth and all life here.
Who are Hopi?
[link]http://www.legendsofamerica.com/na-hopi.html[/link]

On Hopi voluntarism
[link]http://voluntaryist.com/forthcoming/unconquered.html#.VU9tUPlVhHx[/link]

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
lordmardok said:
Sociopath DOES NOT EQUAL Psychopath
Well according to DSM-IV "... a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood. This pattern has also been referred to as psychopathy, sociopathy, or dissocial personality disorder" that was how it was qualified as Anti-social Personality Disorder. And DSM-5 seem to have only Anti-Social persoanlity DIsoreder and not eitehr Psycopathy nor Sociopathy. Sociopathy and psychopathy are both a bit fluid terms, and have no hard definitions.

Which takes me to my contribution. I have tried to have no problems with people misuing words. Each uses his own definition and changes and modifies the wwrds. Language is living thing and what isn'0t today might me tomorrow. lesbian was a person froms Lesbos, now it is a homosexual female. Gay was happy. ANd so on. Tryign to fight that is useless. Unless it is a strict matehmatical o scientific term with a very specific definition and used in that context, misuse or not I don't care. Only things that are in those contexts misuesed bothers me. (WHat a limt it, what a field is, etc).

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
MajorTomServo said:
Saying "I could care less."

That means you do care.

At least a little.
I do not actually feel bothered by this one, as "I could care less" is accurate. They cared enough to respond at all. They could ignore it completely. By all accounts the sentence and emotion behind it IS sound. Even though the meaning is muddled by what you feel about the wording.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Armadox said:
MajorTomServo said:

That means you do care.

At least a little.
I do not actually feel bothered by this one, as "I could care less" is accurate. They cared enough to respond at all. They could ignore it completely. By all accounts the sentence and emotion behind it IS sound. Even though the meaning is muddled by what you feel about the wording.
This is me quoting you.

Is it not accurate? It is. Does it bring anything to the table?

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
DoPo said:
Armadox said:
MajorTomServo said:

That means you do care.

At least a little.
This is me quoting you.

Is it not accurate? It is. Does it bring anything to the table?
Oh ho! I see what you've done there. But the complaint is a pedantic issues with wording that isn't a problem at all, rather that you don't much care for it. This one should be brushed off, unlike say "irregardless". "I could care less" is not "I care none at all" nor does it mean "I care very little", and saying it isn't an issue to the meaning of your sentence. You either get that they don't care for it, OR you ask for the amount they do care about the issue, but foaming at the mouth on this very instance isn't worth it. Same as "10 items or less" or "10 items or fewer"..

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Armadox said:
"I could care less" is not "I care none at all" nor does it mean "I care very little", and saying it isn't an issue to the meaning of your sentence.
A zealot could care less for their cause. As could somebody who barely cares. And all the shades in between. It is pretty useless to say - you could replace each word in "I could care less" with "blah" and you'd get as much information across.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
Lots of social justice phrases already, but mansplaining.

It means to condescendingly explain something to someone who has more experience or understanding of the topic. Usually a man explaining the motivations or thought processes of women to a woman.
It doesn't mean anytime a man explains anything, especially if he does have experience in the topic he is explaining. Akin to 'quit bitching', it's used as an insulting way to shut people down. Any defense against accusations of bitching will invariably involve a complaint (still bitching!) just as any defense against accusations of mansplaining will involve some explanation (still mansplaining!)
A cheap trick designed to infuriate someone into losing civility or shame them into silence.

Also one that bugs me irrationally.
Surreal as used to describe a dream.
Yes. Most dreams have the quality of being dream-like. 'I love how surreal the dream sequences are' sounds lie a fair opinion, but to me it sounds like, 'my favorite kinds of fiction are the fictitious ones' or 'I enjoy the mythological allusions in greek mythology.'
You're not saying anything. Stop.

This! so much this! Also stop, as used in the catty amateur comedienne way I've use it above. Saying stop, Can we just stop? It's problematic and gross, so just, stop. I can't even, so can we just stop? The escapist NEEDS to STOP needing to stop needing to stop needing to need and I just can't even need stopping. ok? OK?!!

ok

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
DoPo said:
Armadox said:
"I could care less" is not "I care none at all" nor does it mean "I care very little", and saying it isn't an issue to the meaning of your sentence.
A zealot could care less for their cause. As could somebody who barely cares. And all the shades in between. It is pretty useless to say - you could replace each word in "I could care less" with "blah" and you'd get as much information across.
Agreed! But "blah" is enough, I think, to get the meaning across of "this isn't something I care much about". So it's still an efficient sentence for it's use. This is a sentence that is designed to show disinterest, and it does. How much disinterest is moot, unless you demand of it. Off handed remarks tend to have the leeway of not needing to be defined unless pushed.

" Sir, please sign my petition?"
" I could care less.."

A. " But then you must care some, let me explain why you SHOULD care.."
or
B. This remark kills dialog and the conversation ends.

If you feel you can press it, then A. if you feel the cause is lost then B.

"I do not care at all for your petition" is a definable shut down of the conservation, where "I could care less" is a means to push said issue if one must.

So, what I am saying is..

Those that use "I could care less" is openly inviting you to make them care more...

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
Armadox said:
Those that use "I could care less" is openly inviting you to make them care more...
I disagree - most, if not all, times it is used to mean "I couldn't care less". You are putting too much faith in people using this phrase as they should.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
DoPo said:
Armadox said:
I disagree - most, if not all, times it is used to mean "I couldn't care less". You are putting too much faith in people using this phrase as they should.
No, you see, what I am implying is that those that use that phrase should be mercilessly barraged with why they should care about anything they don't care about. You leave the invite open and all..

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
rorychief said:
Surreal as used to describe a dream.
Yes. Most dreams have the quality of being dream-like. 'I love how surreal the dream sequences are' sounds lie a fair opinion, but to me it sounds like, 'my favorite kinds of fiction are the fictitious ones' or 'I enjoy the mythological allusions in greek mythology.'
You're not saying anything. Stop.
Well, no. You can have lifelike and incredibly realistic dreams as well. You can also have mundane, ordinary or just plain odd dreams, that aren't necessarily surrealistic. There's a distinction, and 'surreal' is descriptive enough to be warranted when applicable.

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
chikusho said:
Well, no. You can have lifelike and incredibly realistic dreams as well. You can also have mundane, ordinary or just plain odd dreams, that aren't necessarily surrealistic. There's a distinction, and 'surreal' is descriptive enough to be warranted when applicable.
I getcha, I know it means bizarre and uncanny and sometimes dreams are mundane and unremarkable, so it can be worth specifying a dream as surreal. It come off as redundant to me because I assume the standard for a dream is to be dream-like, and I take dream like to mean uncanny and bizarre. Like the outlier is a mundane dream, so that would be the thing worth specifying. Like I assume a romance is romantic, so for someone to describe a romance as romantic I have to go, Wait what? Before reminding myself that an unromantic romance can exist as well.

Minor peeve.