MIT Puts Minecraft Creations in the Palm of Your Hand

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
MIT Puts Minecraft Creations in the Palm of Your Hand

With just a simple programming script and a 3D printer, Minecraft creations can become physical objects.

How awesome would it be if you could build something in Minecraft, and later hold a model of it in the palm of your hand? Thanks to two students at the MIT Media Lab, now you can.

Cody Sumter and Jason Boggess have put together a project called Minecraft.Print() [http://minecraftprint.com/] that allows you to plop down a house or a car or a duck in Minecraft and save it as a file that can be read by a 3D printer. Once you get that file, technically anything Minecraft can become a real world model.

It works in a fairly simple manner. Players cordon off a 3D area in Minecraft that they wish to print with a specific combination of blocks. This combination doesn't naturally occur in Minecraft, so you won't end up printing the entire world. Once the area is set, a Python [http://www.python.org/] script generates a file that's standard for 3D printers.

Sumter and Boggess demonstrate their project by creating a Starship Enterprise [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Pc/dp/B002I0JIQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310226897&sr=8-3] from Star Trek.

I'm sure everyone is thinking of the wonders they'd make with Minecraft.Print(), but I just want a stable of Minecraft pigs myself. Sumter and Boggess's website for the project can be found here [http://minecraftprint.com/]

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Disappointed at the low level of detail - you couldn't see the edges of the blocks :'( If it's not pixelated, what's the point?

I guess this basically makes minecraft into some sort of game-engine driven 3D modeller lol - Maya eat your heart out!

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Does this mean there's gonna be a flood of home-made phallic symbols at print shops now?

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
So, they're using Minecraft as an overly complicated programme for they're 3D printer when they could get the same effect with the original program with a lot less hassle?

Er, Wooo I guess?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
and here i thought it was called legos.

Still, the lack of detail (and colour, though thats probably just an option) is disappointing. I mean, if I build it out of diamond, how can i really prove it if I shows someone it in the real world without going to a comp? cause really, if I could just show them on a comp, why bother?

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
Catchy Slogan said:
So, they're using Minecraft as an overly complicated programme for they're 3D printer when they could get the same effect with the original program with a lot less hassle?

Er, Wooo I guess?
I think the real drawl is that if you created something Super Awesome in Minecraft you could use the 3D printer to create a real-life version. I don't imagine this is meant to replace the 3D printer programs.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Think i'll stick with proper 3d modelling software for when it comes to 3d prints.

I mean, sure Minecraft has some appeal and is good to build some fancy pixelated stuff, but even with freeware 3d modelling software you can create much more detailed and better looking things and those have plugins for 3d printing for quite some time already.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I really should NOT have listened to this video and payed half attention to it while working 40k minis. I feel like my wallet is going to hide from me before i spend money on minecraft buildings.
Speaking of 40k, didn't you think about using such thing to print your own 40k minis ? (Yes, listen to the voice of Slaanesh and let your excess and pleasure take hold of you)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Wow.. Yes.. that is Impressive. Why I do believe I "Do want"

Question is how much does a 3d printer cost and could this, hypothetically be expanded upon sort of a form of nano construction.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
This companion cube is from the original Portal (the guys in the video even said so). You can tell since the one in Portal 2 has pink rings around the circles with the hearts on the sides.