Mixer is shutting down, merging with Facebook

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
@Nick Calandra couldn't find these stories on Escapist, I checked. Let me know if i missed them

Apparently Microsoft has decided to not only shut Mixer down and merge it into Facebook Gaming, but they also didn't tell any of their streamers that information. So all those big name streamers that have exclusivity deals with Mixer, all of a sudden will find themselves either forced to stream on Facebook or possibly back out of the contract to return to Twitch.

I wonder if people like Ninja will have had the clauses in their contract that null the deal if Mixer is sold or merged with another platform.

Also it seems like Twitch has become too big to even try to compete against at this point. Twitch reminds me of World of Warcraft in the era in which everyone was trying to release an MMO, only to have WoW destroy all of them. It might be the same case here where people are already too invested in Twitch to have the willingness to move to another site.

EDIT: Unknown sources are stating that Shroud and Ninja were offered to extended their contracts for DOUBLE the cash and they refused, forcing Microsoft to buyout their contracts and freeing them to stream wherever they want again. This is unconfirmed but that's what I'm seeing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, thats kinda too bad. I keep hearing how Twitch sucks in a lot of ways, but they have those amazon prime subs which seem unbeatable, no matter how crap their service can be.

Nick Calandra

Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist
Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
@Nick Calandra couldn't find these stories on Escapist, I checked. Let me know if i missed them

Apparently Microsoft has decided to not only shut Mixer down and merge it into Facebook Gaming, but they also didn't tell any of their streamers that information. So all those big name streamers that have exclusivity deals with Mixer, all of a sudden will find themselves either forced to stream on Facebook or possibly back out of the contract to return to Twitch.

I wonder if people like Ninja will have had the clauses in their contract that null the deal if Mixer is sold or merged with another platform.

Also it seems like Twitch has become too big to even try to compete against at this point. Twitch reminds me of World of Warcraft in the era in which everyone was trying to release an MMO, only to have WoW destroy all of them. It might be the same case here where people are already too invested in Twitch to have the willingness to move to another site.

EDIT: Unknown sources are stating that Shroud and Ninja were offered to extended their contracts for DOUBLE the cash and they refused, forcing Microsoft to buyout their contracts and freeing them to stream wherever they want again. This is unconfirmed but that's what I'm seeing.
All good, we haven't really been covering "industry" topics lately.

Not surprised and not really enthused about it going to Facebook either. Not sure how their creators are going to take it either, hopefully they discussed beforehand.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Not sure how their creators are going to take it either, hopefully they discussed beforehand.
From what the articles say, they didn't run this by any of their streamers. Which is fucked up. Though supposedly they had further contract discussions with Shroud and Ninja and maybe more I dunno who else is over there.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
From what the articles say, they didn't run this by any of their . Which is fucked up. Though supposedly they had further contract discussions with Shroud and Ninja and maybe more I dunno who else is over there.
It appears Mixer's employees had to find out the same way the streamers and the general public did.

Some of these employees will apparently be folded into one of Microsoft's other departments

... but seems not all of them

Although short notice shutdown are no exactly unusual in the tech sector.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Network affect are so incredibly powerful, I don't know why big company try to fight it. Even by luring big name I don't see why they'd think it would work. It's still way faster for someone to just click on the #2 streamer (whose almost as entertaining than whoever was poached) than switch to another website and have to learn the new layout.

It's like all the millions of facebook clone that company tried to launch, it just doesn't work that way.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I'm genuinely surprised. But y'know what Mark? My favourite Vietnamese Mobile Legends streamers are already on Facebook Gaming! It's Facebook Dating that I want. Focus on bringing that over.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Mixer was also racist, because everything is racist now a days. https://kotaku.com/former-mixer-employee-calls-out-racism-in-management-1844126059

The person in this article was told they were hired because they were "street smart" which they took as racist implication that they were hired for affirmative action reasons. Which is the very reason i laugh when I see posts on Twitter about how companies should hire more people of color, because of course just pulling in people who dont want the job and are unqualifed for the job simply on the basis of their skin tone isn't racist and will work out well in the long run right?

The article goes on to say that management made a slave comment in regards to streamers, which might be in poor taste and cringy, but it's not inherently racist because slavery isn't color exclusive last I checked.

Remember when we used to chant in school, "Sticks and stones will break our bones but words will never hurt us?" I do. Now words can ruin your life if someone has even the slightest reason to contrive offense by it.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
Mixer was also racist, because everything is racist now a days. https://kotaku.com/former-mixer-employee-calls-out-racism-in-management-1844126059

The person in this article was told they were hired because they were "street smart" which they took as racist implication that they were hired for affirmative action reasons. Which is the very reason i laugh when I see posts on Twitter about how companies should hire more people of color, because of course just pulling in people who dont want the job and are unqualifed for the job simply on the basis of their skin tone isn't racist and will work out well in the long run right?

The article goes on to say that management made a slave comment in regards to streamers, which might be in poor taste and cringy, but it's not inherently racist because slavery isn't color exclusive last I checked.

Remember when we used to chant in school, "Sticks and stones will break our bones but words will never hurt us?" I do. Now words can ruin your life if someone has even the slightest reason to contrive offense by it.
I think referring to anyone that's a content creator, on a platform that RELIES on content creators to thrive, as slaves is an absolutely stupid thing to say, racist or not. If anyone in my company referred to me as a slave, I'd quit my job on the spot. The mere fact HR didn't pay any mind to it is really shitty.

That isn't a hill I'd recommend dying on because I'm damn sure at any job you work at, if your boss referred to you as a slave you'd not be happy about it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I think referring to anyone that's a content creator, on a platform that RELIES on content creators to thrive, as slaves is an absolutely stupid thing to say, racist or not. If anyone in my company referred to me as a slave, I'd quit my job on the spot. The mere fact HR didn't pay any mind to it is really shitty.

That isn't a hill I'd recommend dying on because I'm damn sure at any job you work at, if your boss referred to you as a slave you'd not be happy about it.
I'm not saying it isn't a stupid thing to say. Because it is.

However the way these stories seem to come out about every company with no concrete proof other than someone saying it happened.....I dunno, it just seems like inflating the comment in order to make thing's even more racist than they seem. I simply find it hard to believe someone could say something like that and not get in trouble for it.

All this stuff paints the world like a bunch of white people laughing and making jokes about people of color constantly at work, and I just don't think that's the case. We live in an age where you are put on a pedestal for being a victim and the more victimized you are the more elevated that pedestal becomes. And some of these claims just get more and more obscene that I find it hard to believe. That's all.

Nick Calandra

Escapist +
Mar 13, 2020
Country
USA
I'm not saying it isn't a stupid thing to say. Because it is.

However the way these stories seem to come out about every company with no concrete proof other than someone saying it happened.....I dunno, it just seems like inflating the comment in order to make thing's even more racist than they seem. I simply find it hard to believe someone could say something like that and not get in trouble for it.

All this stuff paints the world like a bunch of white people laughing and making jokes about people of color constantly at work, and I just don't think that's the case. We live in an age where you are put on a pedestal for being a victim and the more victimized you are the more elevated that pedestal becomes. And some of these claims just get more and more obscene that I find it hard to believe. That's all.
At the end of the day, social media brings to light these issues and it's up for the companies to decide how they handle them. The mob justice on social media, I think, doesn't help solve anything or help anyone really so I get that part of it and why it's hard to take seriously at times.

I was just glad to see Phil Spencer take it seriously and immediately reached out to talk to the person affected by this.

I'd be careful with describing victims that way, because really, only the people that are involved in these cases know what actually happened. That's personally why I keep my mouth shut on Twitter, even though I of course support those victims. I myself have had to intervene in parties, against friends even, to keep people out of trouble in college multiple times. It's common occurrence and from the sounds of it, not enough people are stepping up to keep things from happening.