Miyamoto Believes New Super Mario Bros. Wii Will Sell

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Miyamoto Believes New Super Mario Bros. Wii Will Sell

A relatively unknown videogame designer by the name of Shigeru Miyamoto believes that his next game, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, will sell for a while.

At a recent Nintendo retailer briefing in Japan, Shigeru Miyamoto made a prediction for how much he thinks New Super Mario Bros. Wii will sell. As reported by Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/11/miyamoto_on_new_super_mario_bros_wii/], during a live play session of the game Miyamoto said: "It's a Mario that will continue selling even after one year has passed."

Miyamoto needs to take it easy with these comments or he risks becoming the next Peter Molyneux. I mean, saying that a Super Mario Bros. game will continue to sell even after one whole year? Absolutely crazy!

Miyamoto's comment may have something to do with the relatively low, but still successful, sales of Super Mario Galaxy, or he could be reeling from the critical failure of Wii Music, but someone should probably take the red Mario cap off Miyamoto's head and replace it with one that says "Captain Obvious." Last time I checked, New Super Mario Bros. for the DS was still selling even three years after it was released, totalling millions upon millions. Super Mario Bros. is always a staple no matter what system you own, plus it's the easiest thing to recommend to parents that have no clue what to buy their kids.

What Miyamoto should have said to really grab people is that New Super Mario Bros. Wii will continue to sell even after a billion years have passed. If the Earth continues to exist for that long, it probably won't even be inaccurate as far as the series in general is concerned.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/11/miyamoto_on_new_super_mario_bros_wii/]

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
If he didn't think the game would sell, then why would he make it anyways?
He said it'll still sell one year after release, while NSMB did that how many of the recent blockbuster games still made it to the charts even two months after their release?

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
It'll sell...but I doubt it'll be any good.....

I'm sick of them releasing the same damn game over and over again. Then being so smug that they say it'll keep selling. The worst part is it probably will.......

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
GamingAwesome1 said:

I'm sick of them releasing the same damn game over and over again. Then being so smug that they say it'll keep selling. The worst part is it probably will.......
Two things:

-The main Super Mario Bros. series is one of the greatest video game franchises in existance.
-Counting Super Mario World (but not Yoshi's Island or the American SMB2), this is the sixth entry of a series dating from 1984. And they most certainly aren't releasing the same game over and over again.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I'm genuinely excited about picking this one up. Looks like your classic left to right affair with some new powers, puzzles and elements thrown in. May not be the most original thing ever, but it still looks fun. Which is really what gaming is all about.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Who is this Miyamoto person? Is he the next games analyst genius? will his prediction be correct.

GamingAwesome1 said:

You can't really say that all the games have been the same just because they have shared the same fundamental mechanics. A lot of games share fundamental mechanics, like many RTS's and FPS's and action games and beat-em-up-and shoot-em-ups and adventure games and...and...and...you get my point. What separates games is more than just the mechanics. Each new Mario game has not only introduced new environments, they have expanded slightly on the core gameplay. Not counting the American Mario 2, 3 introduced many new enemies and powerups, World gave us Yoshi and the spin-jump, 64 expanded the jumping mechanics for a 3-D environment, and Galaxy again gave up new power-ups and expanded physics. This is probably a key reason why Sunshine was not well recieved since it expanded the mechanics with a gadget instead of new moves.

Apart from tat rant, I wonder if Miyamoto can enter the lottery by putting down "six numbers" instead of actual numbers.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
I'll quote myself from the previous thread :

D_987 said:
So...what was the point of this sarcastic news thread exactly? To tell us that Mario will consistently sell well - there doesn't seem to be a purpose for this article at all...?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.149136

VZLANemesis

Jan 29, 2009
Mario will sell... Interesting indeed, highly doubt it though --"
Have the toads already been replaced by something else (Peach?) or are they still toads? 3p and 4p probably aren't gonna be getting played a lot, but still, it must suck to play with two generic toads, they should stick to the Mario2 way.