Miyamoto Dreams About Rivalling Rubik's Cube

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Oh man could you imagine if Miyamoto had made a series similar to Bleach/Naruto/One Piece/Conan. Running forever, and ever, and ever... man that would be crazy.

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Interesting. I always viewed Miyamoto, at his best, as almost the opposite of how I'd imagine a Rubik's Cube; everything is always tightly designed, a perfectly coordinated series of events created to inspire a tightly chosen sense of awe, challenge and interest. The Rubik's cube, however, is more of a tool; at its base state, it is pointless, but the challenge interest and awe come from you.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
APB kinda had a rubik's cube.
its character creator was exactly like one.
You could try any combination of clothing, like you could trun and twist a rubik's cube. And you were always trying to find that perfict twist. That perfict color, that perfict peice of clothing to complete the cube.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I can just see Miyamoto's creation now, an ungodly puzzle that looks like a snowflake existing in 196,833 dimensional space (cookie for reference).

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
I'm calling it now - Next years big E3 announcement from Nintendo will somehow have something to do with the Rubik's Cube and/or manga. And it will be a major hit loved by video game players everywhere.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Caliostro said:
Logan Westbrook said:
By pretty much any standard you want to dream up, Miyamoto has had a very successful career at Nintendo, so it might come as a surprise to hear him say that he feels that making Mario games is taking the easy path.
Gee, who'd think making the same 3 fucking games every other year would be the easy path....

/sarcasm.

Seriously though You're surprised the guy behind things like Mario and Zelda "kinda" feels the need to do something new after 20 years...?
I'm so godamn tired of hearing this. Just because they keep their franchises alive doesn't mean they're all rehashes. They do something different every time. SMG and SMG2 was one of the least significant overhauls in their history, and even that jump was much greater than most other sequels....by far. Go criticize Bungie, EA, Activision, and Rockstar. Miyamoto lives and breathes creativity.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Im the mean time we'll get another mario game, or Zelda remake from him.
Electrogecko said:
Caliostro said:
Logan Westbrook said:
By pretty much any standard you want to dream up, Miyamoto has had a very successful career at Nintendo, so it might come as a surprise to hear him say that he feels that making Mario games is taking the easy path.
Gee, who'd think making the same 3 fucking games every other year would be the easy path....

/sarcasm.

Seriously though You're surprised the guy behind things like Mario and Zelda "kinda" feels the need to do something new after 20 years...?
I'm so godamn tired of hearing this. Just because they keep their franchises alive doesn't mean they're all rehashes. They do something different every time. SMG and SMG2 was one of the least significant overhauls in their history, and even that jump was much greater than most other sequels....by far. Go criticize Bungie, EA, Activision, and Rockstar. Miyamoto lives and breathes creativity.
lol he does? yeah as long as its another mario game which follows the same concept and same actual gameplay as every other, or a new zelda game which will be in the end a remake.

the main franchise zelda games have all been remakes of the past version, the only unique ones being majoras mask, adventure of link, and the oracle of ages and seasons, and four swords. Otherwise every zelda game is just a rehash remake. Miyamoto is no more creative then any other game maker out there.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
He had a hand in the Wii and the Wii has something in common with the Rubik's Cube that practically defines both of them: you pick each of them up every few months to mess around with, get bored in a few minutes and put it back to gather dust until the next season comes around.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Miyamoto seems to be one of his greatest critics. I think he has surpassed the Rubik's cube in every way. Show a picture of Mario to a kid nowadays and he'll/she'll recognize it immedietley. Show him/her a picture of a Rubik's cube, not so much.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Well he did create Mario...And isnt Mario bigger then Rubrick cube?

And i would like to see a Mario manga.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Miyamoto always finds new ways to impress me. wanting to make something like the Rubiks Cube will be a tough challenge but whe he said 'regardless of whether I can or cannot do it, I could at least give it a shot' i have to respect the guy for his ambition.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Strange thing to want to beat, of all stuff. The only problem with them cubes is they can be so evil to solve!

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
WilliamRLBaker said:
Im the mean time we'll get another mario game, or Zelda remake from him.
Electrogecko said:
Caliostro said:
Logan Westbrook said:

/sarcasm.

lol he does? yeah as long as its another mario game which follows the same concept and same actual gameplay as every other, or a new zelda game which will be in the end a remake.

the main franchise zelda games have all been remakes of the past version, the only unique ones being majoras mask, adventure of link, and the oracle of ages and seasons, and four swords. Otherwise every zelda game is just a rehash remake. Miyamoto is no more creative then any other game maker out there.
Just to add to this, Seasons and Ages weren't even made by Nintendo, they were made by Capcom.

And SMG1&2 were pretty much just an extension of what had been started in Mario 64 and Sunshine. The real innovation was in Mario 64 and the series has just been experiencing the normal Nintendo/Miyamoto slight upgrades since then.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Evilsanta said:
Well he did create Mario...And isnt Mario bigger then Rubrick cube?
Not by a long shot. The Rubik's Cube has sold 350 million units, while all the Mario games ever made have sold around 200 million collectively.

METC

Mar 21, 2009
Caliostro said:
Logan Westbrook said:

/sarcasm.

Pikmin? Nintendogs? Luigi's Mansion? Chibi-Robo? (acted as senior producer)

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Electrogecko said:
Go criticize Bungie, EA, Activision, and Rockstar. Miyamoto lives and breathes creativity.
I'm sorry, this is unacceptable. There are six Halo games. There are eleven Grand Theft Auto games. How many Mario games are there? Too many. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_games] And that's just Mario.

Props to Miyamoto for aspiring to more, but he doesn't come in contact with creativity more than a few times per console generation. He breathes money, though, because of people who put up with this sort of garbage. You know who you are.