Miyamoto Dreams About Rivalling Rubik's Cube

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Miyamoto Dreams About Rivalling Rubik's Cube

Shigeru Miyamoto may have created the most recognizable videogame character in the world, but that's not the only plaything he dreams about making.

By pretty much any standard you want to dream up, Miyamoto has had a very successful career at Nintendo, so it might come as a surprise to hear him say that he feels that making Mario games is taking the easy path.

In a interview conducted by Shigesato Itoi, creator of the EarthBound series, Miyamoto said that he'd always considered Ernő Rubik to be a rival of his, and had often entertained thoughts about making something like the Rubik's Cube. He though that the fact that he had never tried meant that he must be taking the easy option. "For 20 years, I've always thought that Rubik's Cubes are great," he said. "And I want to make something like them ... Regardless of whether I can or cannot do it, I could at least give it a shot, but I never have."

Miyamoto also expressed a desire to be a manga artist, and said that he had once drawn a rough layout for a four panel for that Takashi Tezuka, the general manager of Nintendo EAD, had said was good, but that was as far as he had gone with it.

Miyamoto may have never made it as a manga artist or a toymaker - although you could make the case that making videogames isn't all that different than making toys - but really, the only person who's going to accuse him of taking the easy way out is Miyamoto himself.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-24-miyamoto-wants-to-make-rubiks-cube-rival]

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Which is Ironic since Nintendo DOES make toys.

Miyamoto as a Manga artist? I would of loved to see it, but alas, I love mario more. :D

TheDoomPenguin

Mar 25, 2010
It's not too far fetched for him to do those too. The interviewer, Itoi, is a pretty good example of a multitalanted game maker. Besides creating and designing the Mother/Earthbound series, he's a pretty famous pop philosopher and has even collaborated with Haruki Murakami on a book before.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
By pretty much any standard you want to dream up, Miyamoto has had a very successful career at Nintendo, so it might come as a surprise to hear him say that he feels that making Mario games is taking the easy path.
Gee, who'd think making the same 3 fucking games every other year would be the easy path....

/sarcasm.

Seriously though You're surprised the guy behind things like Mario and Zelda "kinda" feels the need to do something new after 20 years...?

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
I'd like to see him do it.
Caliostro said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Gee, who'd think making the same 3 fucking games every other year would be the easy path....

/sarcasm.

Seriously though You're surprised the guy behind things like Mario and Zelda "kinda" feels the need to do something new after 20 years...?
I hate to defend the guy, because I sort of agree with you, but each time a new game comes out, theres almost always a new mechanic or something that makes it different.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
So we are probably getting cubic Wii's in the future which would need to be correctly assembled before playing as the competition to the Rubik Cube?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Well, he's ambitious, isn't he?
Still, now I'm curious as to what kind of manga he would have made... probably would have been awesome.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
Aren't videogames the toys of today though? Still, would be interesting to see what kinda manga he'd draw.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well, if you think about it, Mario was only a plumber when Nintendo couldn't get the rights to use Pop-eye in arcades in the POP-EYE arcade game they were making, thus having Miyamoto to just change the characters to a gorilla and a plumber at the last moment.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Miyamoto created the foundation of my childhood happiness when he created Mario and Link.
In my opinion thats far better then the Rubik's Cube or manga (seeing how I've only been into manga since my freshmen year of high school)

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
So he wants to completely own the lives of children everywhere?

And some people say he's lazy.....

Jan 29, 2009
Why would he want to make something to rival an extremely difficult to figure out gizmo that some nerds spend their entire lives figuring out?!?
OH WAIT-

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
To be fair, he sort of did take the 'easy way out' in a sense. Toys have always been fairly common in some sense, even if the toy was just a rock. With the rubic's cube's popularity, it would be hard to match that in a toy market. He got into the gaming market just as it was beginning, and helped make one of the best early games to ever be created when a lot of people were making meh games. It wouldn't have been way to hard to stand out in the gaming world if you created a good game, and Mario was one of the first good yet fairly complex games.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Caliostro said:
Logan Westbrook said:

/sarcasm.

It's funny how often people confuse "new franchise" with "new idea" on this website...

Anyway, it's hard to not admire this man's ambition. He's probably the most significant developer in the industry, and it's not good enough because he never expanded into other industries?