Miyamoto leaving Nintendo? *Rumor*

Recommended Videos

Boneasse

New member
Jul 16, 2008
1,960
0
0
Shigeru Miyamoto, one of the most famous (and probably talented) video-game designers of all time, developer of such games as the Mario series, Zelda series and Donkey Kong series, may announce that he will retire from Nintendo, some time in 2010 due to differences with the company.

The father of Nintendo, one of the ultimate faces of gaming, has not given any specific details as to what these differences may be, although an anonymous internal source claims that he does not like the path Nintendo has taken, disregarding the 'hardcore' gamers and implementing the casual persona. It "saddens" him that they have been left out.

Anonymous source:
"Shigeru wants to take into account, all of the hardcore players, but Nintendo does not seem to have the same priorities" - assured the source that prefers anonimity.

Via: Wiisos.com and TehSkeen.com

So... Will the father of gaming be leaving nintendo for good? Or are these just rumors spewed out by some mental journalist or the likes?

Do remember that E3 2k9 was the first E3 Miyamoto did not participate in, and also Iwata gave that interview earlier this year about how Nintendo could still succeed without Miyamoto if he were to ever leave.

However, do also remember that Miyamoto was one of co-developers of the Wii, bringing us games like WiiSports, WiiPlay, WiiFit and WiiMusic, and that he played a big role in the NintenDogs development (NintenDogs being one of the definite titles in bringing gaming to the casuals).

EDIT: I want to stress that this is only a rumor and even though I brought it here I don't necessarily believe it myself. If it turns out to be true, by any chance, it's a pretty big deal, which is why I posted it.
 

SantoUno

New member
Aug 13, 2009
2,583
0
0
So if he leaves no new Mario and Zelda games?

Good god will Nintendo surely die after that, well as a true gaming platform anyway.
 

Durxom

New member
May 12, 2009
1,965
0
0
SantoUno said:
So if he leaves no new Mario and Zelda games?

Good god will Nintendo surely die after that, well as a true gaming platform anyway.
Well, they still would be able to make Mario and Zelda games because I'm pretty sure they own the license to them, even though Miyamoto came up with them, they probably won't be as good as the Miyamoto ones. Such as the Donkey Kong games, they own the franchise but they haven't made a decent one since Rare left.

Also, I'm guessing its just a rumor and nothing else.
 

Lyri

New member
Dec 8, 2008
2,660
0
0
Good, maybe Nintendo can get a breath of fresh air dumped into those lungs.

They need something new.
Yet if he goes it could crush them.

Cliffhanger time!
 

Generator

New member
May 8, 2009
1,771
0
0
It sounds like just a rumor. Besides, I thought Miyamoto wanted to make games that catered to more casual gamers.

If he does leave though, I hope he takes Mario and Zelda with him; games made by people other than their original creators just never go so well. Take all post-Insomniac Spyro titles, for instance.
 

Capachinola

New member
Dec 28, 2009
162
0
0
Generator said:
It sounds like just a rumor. Besides, I thought Miyamoto wanted to make games that catered to more casual gamers.

If he does leave though, I hope he takes Mario and Zelda with him; games made by people other than their original creators just never go so well. Take all post-Insomniac Spyro titles, for instance.
Im not really smart or up to date about video game politics, but didnt Bethesda take over Fallout 3, and that game was sweet?
 

geldonyetich

New member
Aug 2, 2006
3,715
0
0
As far as rumors go, it's a pretty satisfying one.

Our buddy, Miyamoto, quitting Nintendo because they're sleeping with the casual gamers now!

However, like all rumors, it's completely worthless, less likely to be true as it is something some kid in Arkansas made up to get people to read his Blog. Dashing the fan's hopes moreso, I wouldn't be surprised if Miyamoto is fairly on board with the idea of pandering to casuals because he probably has enough sway in the company to have made the decision to go in that direction.

Incidentally, both those supporting links given by the OP are apparently posting over to mod sites, about one removed from a full blown software piracy site in terms of things you should not be posting on a legitimate site's forum.
 

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
1,988
0
0
Huh. If that happens, it will not be nintendo anymore. Nor will it last for more than a year or so.
I mean, without him gently diverting major, major screwups, what's to stop nintendo from becoming younger and younger? God, give it a few months and the controllers would probably be reduced to playmats, so babies can't swallow anything.
 

Aesir23

New member
Jul 2, 2009
2,860
0
0
SantoUno said:
So if he leaves no new Mario and Zelda games?

Good god will Nintendo surely die after that, well as a true gaming platform anyway.
No, there will still be Mario and Zelda games, they will just probably turn out horribly since they might deviate from what old fans of the series' love about them.

I know I would mourn the corruption of the Zelda series. I grew up playing most of those games and lord knows it kept me sane in my first hospital stay.
 

Generator

New member
May 8, 2009
1,771
0
0
Capachinola said:
Generator said:
It sounds like just a rumor. Besides, I thought Miyamoto wanted to make games that catered to more casual gamers.

If he does leave though, I hope he takes Mario and Zelda with him; games made by people other than their original creators just never go so well. Take all post-Insomniac Spyro titles, for instance.
Im not really smart or up to date about video game politics, but didnt Bethesda take over Fallout 3, and that game was sweet?
No clue. I was just kind of going off of my arbitrary, go-to example for games that suck after their original developers abandoned them. And who knows, a Mario or Zelda made by someone other than Miyamoto might be even more awesome, but if Nintendo keeps them and then just uses them as characters in new Wii Sports titles, I would be very disappointed.

Again though, it's probably (and hopefully) just a rumor.
 

Zand88

New member
Jan 21, 2009
431
0
0
Wizzie said:
Good, maybe Nintendo can get a breath of fresh air dumped into those lungs.
.. Except that Nintendo has become a lost soul of the gaming industry, and Miyamoto's franchises are the only ones with any quality left.

Unless, you consider more casual games to be "fresh air." I'd rather have a smoke.
 

Dark Knifer

New member
May 12, 2009
4,467
0
0
Since it's just a rumour then it won'tbe true, like miley cyrus reported dead every 15 seconds (I wish that one was true)...

But if he did leave nintendo then I would abandon it immediately and pray that he finds work elsewhere.
 

person427

New member
May 28, 2009
538
0
0
If this is true, I hope he starts a new company that will make good games. I recently got an emulator and started playing a bunch of NES games. I soon discovered that they were a lot more fun and challenging than the Wii games, despite their simple controls and older designs. If his new company doesn't get the rights to Mario, Zelda, etc., he can always create new series.
 

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
860
0
0
shewolf51 said:
SantoUno said:
So if he leaves no new Mario and Zelda games?

Good god will Nintendo surely die after that, well as a true gaming platform anyway.
No, there will still be Mario and Zelda games, they will just probably turn out horribly since they might deviate from what old fans of the series' love about them.

I know I would mourn the corruption of the Zelda series. I grew up playing most of those games and lord knows it kept me sane in my first hospital stay.
Actually, it's been a while since Miyamoto been respnsible for a Zelda game. Starting with Majora's Mask, which is one of my favourite installments in the series, it been down to Eiji Aonuma. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiji_Aonuma] So I'd say the series would be pretty safe.
 

Lyri

New member
Dec 8, 2008
2,660
0
0
Zand88 said:
.. Except that Nintendo has become a lost soul of the gaming industry, and Miyamoto's franchises are the only ones with any quality left.

Unless, you consider more casual games to be "fresh air." I'd rather have a smoke.
Why would they need to think up anything new, when the brain child of those series is still in the house?
Shift him, they have to re-invent the series for ill or good, or make new, better IPs.

Your post resembles the stagnation that Nintendo suffer, Miyamoto is still "the best", let him do the work.
 

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
1,039
0
0
Zand88 said:
Wizzie said:
Good, maybe Nintendo can get a breath of fresh air dumped into those lungs.
.. Except that Nintendo has become a lost soul of the gaming industry, and Miyamoto's franchises are the only ones with any quality left.

Unless, you consider more casual games to be "fresh air." I'd rather have a smoke.
Dude, Shut up, Kirby.

Mr. Miyamoto retiring/dieing in all likelihood would cause a shift in Gaming the likes of which have not been felt since 1983,

But fear not! Nintendo will be greatly changed but not broken, And I'm sure we will still see wonderful titles from them.

So lets face it, It's gonna happen. It's just a matter of when.

...I AM OPTIMIST PRIME!