Miyamoto On Putting Gameplay Before Branding

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
So they stick with tried and tested IPs because otherwise they might come-up with another amazing franchise?
Wouldn't want that now would we? ~_~
I get what you're trying to say, but that's not actually what the article says.

What it implies is that to Nintendo, Character and Setting are an afterthought.

They design games, then put a setting around them that fits. If the gameplay will fit with an existing set of characters and setting without feeling strange, they go with that, otherwise they come up with something new.

Seems like a reasonable strategy to me, considering it focuses on gameplay innovation, rather than narrative innovation.

Think of it less as not wanting to come up with new stuff, but more like wanting to focus your efforts in a particular area, rather than trying to invent everything in your games from the ground up every time.
(That does come at a cost, you know? Effort spent developing one part of a game, is effort that could've been used to do something else too.)

Still, this strategy isn't nessesarily right or wrong. It's just different. And easy to pick on because it looks superficially repetitive. (Because the stuff they keep reusing is the superficial, easily seen stuff that you can see a mile off without even looking at the game itself. - "Oh look another mario game!")

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I can't recall if I've ever owned a Nintendo console but my word these guys are by far my favourite.

we're focused more on the play and the interaction rather than necessarily on a specific character as the IP
Miyamoto "gets it".