Miyamoto Shows Off The Legend of Zelda, Discusses Starfox at Game Awards

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
New Star Fox?! When did that happen! Fuck yes! Just give me playable Wolf and then I'll have something to get extra-hyped for!

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
I was throwing money at the screen and nothing happened. On topic, yeah, if there's plenty to look for and do in this massive world they're showing us, we're in for a real treat. Also of course, psyched for Starfox.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
nima55 said:
Friends I have decided to give in and submit to the hype. I am one with it now. Do not weep for me
There's no shame in it.

I really don't give a shit that dozens of games have done the open world thing in the past few years, I've always wanted it from a Zelda game and am excited as hell about this.

It was Zelda that first planted the idea in my head (and the heads of so many young gamers) before it was ever a thing, but for reasons I never understood, it moved farther and farther away from the format while other franchises moved in to fulfill it. If the game is non-linear to boot, as they claim it will be, I'll have the Zelda I've wanted since I first put my hands on it in 1991 (provided they don't completely drop the ball in every other department and at least deliver adequately).

Will they do it better than Elder Scrolls or FarCry or GTA or whatever? Possibly not and I won't care; I'm going to enjoy the funk out of it regardless.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
As happy as I am to hear of a new Star Fox game...but god dammit Nintendo stop pushing motion controls in games that don't need it. Just let me use a damn gamepad like any sensible person would want, leave the gimmicky motion shit for grandma and the little brats who are just impressed to see the pretty colors moving on a screen.

Ugh sorry for the mini rant but it really irks me to see motion controls shoveled down our throats whether it fits the game or not. v.v

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So it's LOZ but in a more open world like Skyrim? My body is ready!!! (WEll ok I need to buy a WiiU first!)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
It sure looks pretty, but based on that footage I'm not sure where the actual gameplay is. Or, more importantly, where the content is. Having a big, open explorable world is one thing but, frankly, that's done by so many games these days it's not really a feature any more. What matters is what you do with all of that "open" space. I guess I've played enough open world games by now that a developer just saying "Hey, see that tower over there, you can walk there! And, get this, it'll take you 10 minutes of continuously pressing forward to do it!" doesn't really impress me.
You're looking at something that is probaly more than a year from being finished. What did you actually expect too see?
They mentioned in passing that something might be a dungeon entrance, but clearly if it is the dungeon probably doesn't exist yet...

This is essentially very early footage, as far as I can tell... Looks shiny, but probably has very little content, because the content hasn't been created yet...

gamegod25 said:
As happy as I am to hear of a new Star Fox game...but god dammit Nintendo stop pushing motion controls in games that don't need it. Just let me use a damn gamepad like any sensible person would want, leave the gimmicky motion shit for grandma and the little brats who are just impressed to see the pretty colors moving on a screen.

Ugh sorry for the mini rant but it really irks me to see motion controls shoveled down our throats whether it fits the game or not. v.v
What motion shit? There pretty much wasn't any... The control scheme looked about 95% traditional dual-analog style control as far as I could see... (Remember what the gamepad control layout actually is if you ignore the screen?)

Eh. Who knows what they're intending. But this clearly isn't a repeat of skyward sword, or even the Wii version of Twilight princess...

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Is this a joke?

I don't know whether Nintendo is just completely disconnected from what's going on in gaming right now or has just been copying open world games from the past decade and decided to present it as their own work, but it seems like they have just decided to give up and add features like map markers, large open world, shooting from horseback and has decided they're all extremely amazing and innovative features. It's a good laugh.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
mm. Push more to be Shadow of the Colossus than Skyrim and I'll give this game another look.

One thing I love about Shadow of the Colossus was that when you're on horseback, the horse and the protagonist was pushed to the side for the benefit of its beautiful visual.

One thing I hate about Skyrim is that once you're on horseback, I had to watch the boring animation of the horse's ass because its in the center of the screen.

I can't tell for sure but Zelda seems to waver between the two.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Man, people are just so hard to please. People have said that Zelda is "the same game" each time a new title is released, when finally they decide to incorporate other features from current games they say it's nothing special or worse just a copy.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
So Epona's on a glorified autopilot, there's tons of open areas with little to do, the vaulting slowdown thing was last seen in Vanquish, there's a big bright symbol and a clang when you shoot enemies because how else could you tell if you hit them, and it's another 3D Zelda game. I think I'm going to go back to Ocarina of Time because after watching that, I don't think I'll be missing much.

The Big N may not release their games every year like Activision or Ubisoft, but they're all pretty samey even with the longer development times. Aside from their publishing of Bayonetta 2, I still haven't seen another reason to get a WiiU or care about anything Nintendo's been doing.
You can say that again.. :I

They're taking a step in the right direction though in new material, i'd just like to see different characters honestly, or it's going to be just fun mechanics + predictable and reused story.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
gamegod25 said:

You can hate the motion controls all you want but those are damn useful. Even speedrunner use the motion controls in the Wind Waker HD remake because it's faster, easier and more precise than using an analog stick. I don't know if you played Call of Duty on the Wii but it was the best CoD game I've played. Motion controls can be great for aiming if implemented right.
Also it seems like you can use the right analog. Same as with Splatoon.

norwegian goose said:
Oh looks, another identical zelda game. Can't wait to never play it.
Oh looks, another identical ignorant gamer.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
endtherapture said:
Is this a joke?

I don't know whether Nintendo is just completely disconnected from what's going on in gaming right now or has just been copying open world games from the past decade and decided to present it as their own work, but it seems like they have just decided to give up and add features like map markers, large open world, shooting from horseback and has decided they're all extremely amazing and innovative features. It's a good laugh.
Yes but people will buy it because it's a Zelda game. The most funny thing right now is that they are focused on all these "innovate" ideas and remaking games to the end of neigh yet they cannot be bothered to port SuperNes games to the 3DS. Think of the money they would make off that alone? Hell, even I would at least get a copy of Link to a past and not it's shitty sequel.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Looks great but Zelda is all about the dungeons I wish they showed those. Probably they are still working on the actual dungeons, I think the best thing about the Zelda U is the fact that it's possible to add more dungeons and areas via DLC.

Anyhow I will get this depending on the reviews, still not Day 1 for me but it does look gorgeous from artistic point of view.

Robert Kalmar

Feb 3, 2012
mad825 said:
endtherapture said:
Is this a joke?

Yes but people will buy it because it's a Zelda game. The most funny thing right now is that they are focused on all these "innovate" ideas and remaking games to the end of neigh yet they cannot be bothered to port SuperNes games to the 3DS. Think of the money they would make off that alone? Hell, even I would at least get a copy of Link to a past and not it's shitty sequel.
It shows you are an expert gamer unlike all of us, so tell us all the innovation the AAA industry has presented in the last few years? Cloning GTA with Assassins, cloning GTA with "hackers", cloning GTA with dildos, cloning GTA in first person, cloning Skyrim, cloning GTA in the west, cloning CoD, cloning Battlefield, cloning Gears of War DOESN'T count as innovation, sorry. Really, the only innovation in the industry comes from indie developers and Nintendo is the only company that tries... Not with their big franchises, but with smaller games like Pushmo and Captain Toad. Did you even heard of these games? No? Then stand in line with all of the other ignorant gamers who hates Nintendo for actually no reason. But hey, you are problably more popular, than me, because you do the cool thing: hate Nintendo...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Holy shit the size of that map o_O
This will be great, new Zelda and new StarFox. Next a new Metroid :)
This console has kept me very satisfied so far and the pace is apparently not going to slow down! :D

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
endtherapture said:
Is this a joke?

In my experience, Nintendo's innovation comes more from how their gameplay works in tandem with their level design.

It's easy to watch a five minute demo and ***** about how it's copying other games, but to do so is to focus on the superficial features. If you want to understand just how innovative a Nintendo title really is, to quote Reggie, you need to play the game.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
As much as i love Yahtzee, his fans echoing his opinions are the most annoying part of the escapist.
Moving quickly on... Better put on my fanboy trousers and get a WiiU then! Starfox brings back great gamecube memories. Charm can get you a far way into my night knickers, Nintendo! Hence why i cant force myself to complete skyrim.

Also has anyone here experienced the disappointing horse mechanics in Inquisition yet?....