Miyamoto: Wii U's Second Screen Will Grow On You

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

Shigeru Miyamoto on the Wii U's "practical purpose" in the living room.

The Wii U isn't selling particularly well. Even the Dreamcast sold better during its launch window. Some have put this down to the now traditional, no-games post-launch funk that has dogged every Nintendo console since the N64. Others use the slow sales as proof that the console's central gimmick, a second screen built right into the control pad, is right up there with the prohibition and the TV Hat [https://www.buytvhatnow.com/] in the big list of terrible ideas. Defenders of the console, including Ubisoft's Xavier Poix, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121951-Ubisoft-Says-Gamers-Just-Dont-Understand-The-Wii-U] reckon people just need to get their head around the dual-screen concept before it'll start selling. Shigeru Miyamoto (seen above smiling like a super villain) makes a similar argument, going as far as to compare the Wii U to the DS (which just so happens to be the best-selling console in history as of December last year).

"There was a period when we first released the Nintendo DS that people would say there's no way people can look at two screens at once," he told CNN.

"I almost feel like, as people get more familiar with Wii U and these touchscreen interfaces, that there is going to come a point where they feel like 'I can't do everything I want to do if I don't have a second screen'," he continued.

"I feel a device like Wii U, with its ability to continue to offer new features and that network connection and the connection to the TV and the interface, really makes it feel that it's more than just a game machine, but something that offers a lot of practical use and practical purpose in the living room."

To play devil's advocate; the big difference between the DS and the Wii U (obvious jokes about the size of their libraries aside) is that the DS' twin screens are right next to each other, while the Wii U's screens require me to either hold the controller in front of my face or glance down every few seconds. The end result is that playing Wii-pad enabled games requires constant head bobbing. It's like attending an imaginary Pantera concert, only without the sweet riffs.

That being said, we go through this "Nintendo is dooooooomed!" song and dance with every new console, and it inevitably ends the same way; Nintendo gets around to releasing a proper Mario/Metroid/Zelda game, sales pick up and the cycle continues. While the Wii U might not repeat the wild success of its predecessor, it's unlikely that it'll be the end of Nintendo.

Source: CNN [http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/05/tech/gaming-gadgets/nintendo-miyamoto-wii-u/index.html]

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I have 2 screens for my PC, one is a tablet screen that uses a pen, that said it's strictly for work. One I paint/do graphics on, the other is for youtube/art references or whatever. When a game goes on? It's on the primary monitor only.

The whole 2 screens for 'gaming' doesn't even make sense because when you get right down to it all the second screen does is mimic the pause menu and in the time it takes for you to look down to use it, you can easily use muscle memory to hit start and select what you need. Or at best mimic a radial menu, something that works perfectly fine and doesn't require a overpriced screen attachment.

And because of that, it's not going to be something that changes how we do games.

Capcha: You are happy.
Not when devs are delusional I'm not :|

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
I am intensely interested in the wii u, but it has no games in its library to rope me in. Games sell consoles, not gimmicks. While the 2 screens seem cool to me (at least not a detriment like motion intros were) I bought a PS3 years ago SOLELY for GTA 4. Added more games to my library later of course but that was the draw. Same with the wii. I bought it when smash brothers brawl came out and not a moment sooner release a great Mario game and/or smash brothers and you'll have my money. Not a second before.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Even when you get used to the DS, some people just 'CAN'T' dual focus as much as needed by some games. I can't beat Contra 4 due to being unable to twin focus properly...I can half-focus on one screen and fully focus on the other, but when a game requires my full attention on both screens, even with the proximity I just can't do it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Grey Carter" post="7.405359.16828851 said:

So, basically it's a tumor?

I quite like the image of the Wii U being a secret mosh trainer produced by a cabal of metal legends.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
It grew on me the instant I discovered off-screen play. The Wii U is an amazing console, and I can hardly wait to see what the new Zelda, Metroid, and Mario games are like. Oh, and Bayonetta 2.. hell yes, Bayonetta 2.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Grey Carter said:
That being said, we go through this "Nintendo is dooooooomed!" song and dance with every new console, and it inevitably ends the same way; Nintendo gets around to releasing a proper Mario/Metroid/Zelda game, sales pick up and the cycle continues. While the Wii U might not repeat the wild success of its predecessor, it's unlikely that it'll be the end of Nintendo.
And that's my thoughts about the slow sales all in one paragraph.

Regarding the lack of games, that's a problem that'll be solved in time. Enough games will come out for it that it'll be worth the price of admission.

As for the second screen thing, it's all a matter of keeping things simple. Map, data display, extra buttons on the edge of the screen, inventory or off-tv play. That's all you need. People might say "Then why bother with the second screen if you're not going to take advantage of it?", but sometimes a simple addition is all you need. It's like the difference between 2 shoulder buttons and 4, or clickable analogue sticks. Simple is best.

Either that or go all out and make a whole game that revolves around the dual screen functions. coughworldendswithyoucough.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Two screens for gaming is awesome. As a devout PC gamer, I don't know how I would function with only one monitor. it's very useful for a great many things. I even have a third that is a monitor tablet for art work, it's awesome to have all that at my disposal. I don't think a lot of console developers have figured out a good scheme for multiple monitors and some companies like Ubishit use them in a the worst most gimmicky way. The issue withe the WiiU is that there is shit for games, plain and simple. Haters can put on the "Gimmicky second screen" all they want, but it misses the point completely. Bad games are bad games, and things that utilize non standard configurations on top of not having a worthwhile software library is going to make that bad thing seem even worse.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
Grey Carter said:

So, basically it's a tumor?

I quite like the image of the Wii U being a secret mosh trainer produced by a cabal of metal legends.
Tumour? I was gonna go with genital fungus.

OT: I do have a Wii U and I must say it's actually a really nice console, it's just a bit pricey since it's not really as powerful as the PS4 or nextbox are gonna be. And it's 1/24 as powerful as modern graphics cards give or take. It's lovely, it feels great to use and play and the Miiverse is lovely, the games that are good are great, it just needs to be a bit cheaper and have a few more games.

It's sad it's not doing well, I think if it came 2 years earlier it'd have done better.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
The problem isn't in the system as much as it's in the games. Most of them are ports that people already have for one of the other systems.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Is it just me, or does the picture of Miyamoto above look like a James Bond villain?

"Soon, the Wii-U-virus will spread across the world, and then... It will grow on you! Mhuahaahahaha!"

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Grey Carter said:
It's like attending an imaginary Pantera concert, only without the sweet riffs.
You couldn't have Pantera in a Nintendo game I mean god,

One of their songs is about Cowboys!

From HELL!

And you can't mention hell to children unless it's in church!!

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You know, considering the failure that was the utilization of the Game Boy Advance link cable for the GameCube... I guess the second time around still isn't proving to be interesting enough?

Maybe if they add some capability to Bluetooth/WiFi that can turn a 3DS into a second Wii U remote, they might get more developers interested. Then again, perhaps integrating HTML5 engine support would be better.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Sorry, but for the second screen to grow on me I'd first have to feel inclined to purchase the console in the first place, and that's really the problem here isn't it?

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I'd have to disagree with him, I've played and beaten the newest Mario platformer on the WiiU, and the second screen added absolutely nothing, the 'add extra platforms' gimmick just felt like cheating. I've also played ZombieU for a few hours... And the entire time couldn't stop thinking about how much better the game would be if I could play it with a controller that wasn't clunky as all fuck with a sub-par inventory system.

I'll stick to my screenless controllers, assuming I don't just go full-on PC gaming master race when the NeXtbox is officially announced, thank you very much Mr. Miyamoto.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I think it's a little TOO ahead of it's time. Whilst behaviour is shifting towards multiple screen engagement, with more people watching TV with a laptop or tablet as well etc, it isn't there yet, and definitely not for gaming. I would have to agree that I think it's definitely the future of gaming but like most pioneering devices it's a bit shit, lacking anything worthwhile and yet to find it's place.

I think the real reason for a poor launch of the Wii U was a lack of proper publicity, too expensive a price tag and shit launch titles. Where was the Wii U Zelda game? Where was the Wii U Super smash bros game? That'd be awesome with an extra controller to fuck with people like on the Super Mario Bros game they have.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Snotnarok said:
The whole 2 screens for 'gaming' doesn't even make sense because when you get right down to it all the second screen does is mimic the pause menu and in the time it takes for you to look down to use it, you can easily use muscle memory to hit start and select what you need. Or at best mimic a radial menu, something that works perfectly fine and doesn't require a overpriced screen attachment.
I agree with you here, and I'd just like to add that his comparison to the DS is fallacious. At least on the DS you could see both screens at the same time. You can't do that on the Wii U. In fact, the only advantage that second screen provides is to allow for local multiplayer games which utilize hiding information from one player. And I can't even think of any way in which that is particularly useful in a manner that can't be accomplished just as well, if not better, with online multiplayer.

It's literally forcing the player to use a second screen which is more cumbersome than a simple menu to do the same thing. Maybe I shouldn't be that surprised though since that was 99% of what the Wii was all about with motion controls.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Vivi22 said:
Snotnarok said:
I agree with you here, and I'd just like to add that his comparison to the DS is fallacious. At least on the DS you could see both screens at the same time. You can't do that on the Wii U. In fact, the only advantage that second screen provides is to allow for local multiplayer games which utilize hiding information from one player. And I can't even think of any way in which that is particularly useful in a manner that can't be accomplished just as well, if not better, with online multiplayer.

It's literally forcing the player to use a second screen which is more cumbersome than a simple menu to do the same thing. Maybe I shouldn't be that surprised though since that was 99% of what the Wii was all about with motion controls.
I didn't even like the second screen on DS games, it was functional sometimes like as a aiming device but ...I'd rather have another analog stick, but it did work better since they were close and it wasn't this big fat controller in your hands.