MMO-Publisher Perfect World Opening Console Division

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
MMO-Publisher Perfect World Opening Console Division

Perfect World Entertainment has announced the launch of an internal console division aimed at bringing its free-to-play MMOs to new audiences.

If you've ever dabbled in the free-to-play MMO market then you're probably no stranger to Perfect World Entertainment. The publisher behind games like <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/10821-I-Think-Im-Addicted-to-Star-Trek-Online>Star Trek Online and <a href=http://www.warcry.com/codex/profile/view/513-neverwinter>Neverwinter, it's a company that has its hand in a lot of gaming pots. Pots that it apparently wants to start filling with the dollars of console gamers.

In a new announcement the company revealed that it's investing in a new division that will focus on bringing its MMOs, both old and new, to consoles like the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. "We are looking at this medium to better connect with gamers," said Andrew Brown, general manager of publishing at Perfect World. "The opportunity to work on new types of projects with developers from all over the world is really exciting for us as a company. We are confident in our outlook entering into this new business, and you can expect Perfect World to be a major player in the console marketplace."

PS4 owners are actually already the beneficiary of one such PC-to-console port. <a href=http://www.warcry.com/codex/profile/view/44-blacklight-retribution>Blacklight: Retribution, an online first person shooter published by Perfect World, has been available on the PS4 since its November 15th launch. That said, Perfect World actually had nothing to do with that particular port which was handled entirely by the game's developers at Zombie Studios. Going forward, we can only imagine the company will be taking a more direct hand in making the games under its umbrella more console friendly.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-12-19-perfect-world-launches-console-division>GamesIndustry International

Yoshi4102

Mar 10, 2012
I'd like to see more console MMOs. I don't know how they would get them to work, but it would be really nice. Something where you don't have to have tons of friends with gaming PCs to play with, and you can just casually hop on. I'm planning on playing the Final Fantasy MMO with friends on the PS4 when I finally get one.

I think it'll be good fun.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Good for them. I still enjoy STO from time to time when I get that Star Trek craving. Fighting the Borg just doesn't get old.

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
I've played a few of their mmos, I say stay far away. Everything ends up being so cash shop focused that you can buy just about anything in it. They've even removed ingame items that were accessible for over a year, then put them all in the cash shop making real money the only way to get them.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
I'm actually pretty cool with this. PWO makes some good games, and they've definitely got the 'free to play' model down and they do it right. Maybe I'll play one of their games, maybe not, but the added option definitely doesn't hurt.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Hey hey console peeps. Looks like it's time for you to make sure to not bend over in the FTP MMO showers for a change. Have fun.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
this would be good news...

if they had decent games they didn't bend over and violate with the cash shop.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Oh my God.
I get to play Star Trek Online without having to turn the settings down to shit!
I AM EXCITED! MY PENIS IS EXCITED~!

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I for one would love to login to my STO account from my PS4, it's the sort of game that would work very well with those controls. As Picard always says "Make it so!"

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
I read from excerpts of Chris Roberts (Star Citizen) that the PS4 is the most open console to this.

I would hate to be the junior employees in this project though, if this doesn't succeed combined with uncertain times could mean an extremely uncertain future.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Yoshi4102 said:
I'd like to see more console MMOs. I don't know how they would get them to work, but it would be really nice. Something where you don't have to have tons of friends with gaming PCs to play with, and you can just casually hop on. I'm planning on playing the Final Fantasy MMO with friends on the PS4 when I finally get one.

I think it'll be good fun.
You dont need tops of friend with gaming PCs for MMOs. if anything, MMOs are the easy thing to run on office PCs becuase they are often designed in a way of "runs on as many pcs as possible" sacrificing looks for acessibility. I can play most MMOs on my laptop that cant play anything newer than 2010 designed for singleplayer.

Objectable said:
Oh my God.
I get to play Star Trek Online without having to turn the settings down to shit!
I AM EXCITED! MY PENIS IS EXCITED~!
Technically you are correct. You wont have to "turn settings down", as onconsoles the only setting is ultra-low to begin with.