MMOs Safe in Economy, Gamers Are "Addicts"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
MMOs Safe in Economy, Gamers Are "Addicts"

A souring economy isn't stopping players from spending more of their unemployed free time staring at computer monitors and World of Warcraft.

Even as unemployment numbers climb steadily [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/search/?q=layoffs&cx=005672590579257297818:mkmrjhvsnwa&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Search], a growing group of gamers is using its unemployment checks for funding World of Warcraft accounts instead of other sustenance such as food.

In an interview with Reuters [http://in.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idINIndia-37787220090202?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0] over whether the economic downturn is inhibiting gamers playtime, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter commented, "I don't think (online multiplayer games) get impacted at all, because people who play them are addicts. Losing their jobs makes them more likely to play because they have more time to play."

"During economic downturns, people will look for the highest return on their entertainment dollar. Online games provide an immersive virtual world for people to escape the daily struggles," explained Lan Hoang of Aeria Games & Entertainment, a provider of Asian games in America.

Being depressed enough about losing a job to soothe wounds with nonstop gaming instead of job hunting is both sad for those spending their time connected to the internet and the economy as a whole, since many of potential employees are giving up the work search.

Those not sad? Publishers like Activision-Blizzard, which earns half of its profits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89040-WoW-Makes-Up-Half-of-Acti-Blizzs-Earnings] off of the world's most widely-played MMO, World of Warcraft, and anyone providing internet access to desperate WoW raiders.

"These days more people stay late in the evening playing games," said Jung, the manager of a Seoul, Korea internet cafe. "I think they don't have other places to go."

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/02/pachter-mmo-gamers-are-addicts]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
A friend of mine pointed out after losing his job and spending 4 months basically just playing WoW that though he spent almost all of his time in his room playing WoW, he saved a ton of money and was able to go on being unemployed for longer because he was only spending about $20(Cdn) a month on entertainment. Yes it was a sad existance, but it was a cheap existance.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Lan Hoang said:
During economic downturns, people will look for the highest return on their entertainment dollar.
I think this quote is probably far more accurate than Michael Pachter's, who (again [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/global/search/?cx=005672590579257297818%3Amkmrjhvsnwa&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=Michael+Pachter+more%3Anews&sa=Search#1237]) comes off sounding like a complete tool.

MMO's are a vastly cheaper form of entertainment than just about every other option. If anything MMO subscriptions will increase rather than decrease, along the lines of Netflix.

ellimist337

Sep 30, 2008
Do we think that parents might stop paying for it, though? I know the article is generally right, and it'll stay strong, but what about parents providing the money? Maybe they won't see it as a good use of their money.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
ellimist337 said:
Do we think that parents might stop paying for it, though? I know the article is generally right, and it'll stay strong, but what about parents providing the money? Maybe they won't see it as a good use of their money.
Taking away the kid's (probably only) fun, because the economy is fracked up? To what end? That few dollars a month won't make a family go bankrupt, besides, if you take away the entertainment, they'll just slump into depression and feel every bit of hardship tenfold from then on, because they don't have a release. Same goes for unemployed people. If the world turns on you, you just escape into Azeroth, where you are not an unemployed loser living on welfare checks, but a mighty hero. You can't really do anything about the former, but you can accomplish things in WoW, complete quests...etc. I think that's the reason...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Same thing happened during the great depression with nickel movie theaters. People turn to these sort of things for escape. Personally I think it's good we've developed to the point we have options besides beer and drugs for escaping reality.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I know people that play MMOs for most of their day. I don't think they're "addicted." I think they'd buy food instead of a game card, definitely. Hell, I play video games for most of my day too, but not to the point where I'm dying. Or unable to pay for "the bills" (my phone bill since my parents pay for everything else :p)