Mob Kills Wal-Mart Employee, Keeps Shopping

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007

A swarm of Black Friday shoppers clamoring to get their greedy mitts on some outrageously low-priced merchandise smashed through the front doors and trampled a Wal-Mart employee to death on Long Island, NY last week.

Occasionally bringing out the worst in people, the holidays and rampant consumerism can be a deadly mixture [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/29/business/29walmart.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2&em]. A large crowd gathered outside the Green Acres Mall, located just minutes from NYC, Thursday evening in anticipation of Wal-Mart's 5 a.m. Black Friday opening. As the throng of eager holiday shoppers grew into the thousands, police were called in shortly after 3:30 a.m. to restore order. They failed.

Five minutes before the store was to open, the horde of unruly customers shattered the door, trampled through the half-dozen Wal-Mart employees who had desperately been trying to reinforce the doomed entryway, and proceeded to shop, according to police and eyewitnesses. Though several people were injured in the violent surge, 34-year-old Jdimytai Damour, a temporary worker hired by Wal-Mart for the holidays, was trampled to death. This didn't stop the mob from shopping.

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, 'I've been on line since yesterday morning,'" said one shopper who was shocked by the savage display.

Sadly, similar mob scenes have become a common occurrence on Black Friday - the notorious insane event that annually kicks off the start of the holiday shopping season - though they don't typically result in death. Some shoppers apparently feel flagrant disregard for human life is acceptable in the face of low, low prices. I love a good bargain like the next person, but this just makes me sick to my stomach. What the hell is wrong with people?

TheThanatos

May 8, 2008
Stuff like this kills of my hope in humanity. Nothing makes me despair more then mass mob mentality except mass mob mentality based on greed. I would of loved to have been there with a tear gas launcher....
Best wishes and condolences to Mr Damour's friends and family and a big fuck you to the idiots who did this.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
In my opinion, this is a disgusting display of just how far over the line consumerism has gone in this country. This inbred urge to, "Buy! Buy! Buy!" is also one of the main reasons we drove ourselves into an economic recession, isn't it?

My heart and prayers go out to the family, friends, and soul of that poor worker.

...Man...The fact that that is a really fucked up way to die certainly doesn't help matters...

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
This is such a poignant and visceral sign of how our society has become consumed with consumerism itself, valuing it, it would seem, above the safety of fellow humans.

Dark times are coming.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
A guy died like this? I mean seriously did those people have ANY sanity whatsoever? Either way I much more gladly pay some extra cash but: Come in, take what I want and leave, no queues no nothing. I mean I'd understand if war or the end of the world was coming but geez... This is the very reason why so so many people deserve a solid knock on the head with a baseball bat.

Nov 5, 2007
Only an image can express what I think.
http://www.cemp.ac.uk/communities/interactivemedia/images/128.jpg

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
Only an image can express what I think.
http://www.cemp.ac.uk/communities/interactivemedia/images/128.jpg
Some ***** was probably trying to get her dog and let the zombies in. I hate that woman. I'm glad she got eaten.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I heard that the police are going to look over the footage from the security cameras and charge a lot of the people who were responsible for this.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Nathan Meunier said:

"When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, 'I've been on line since yesterday morning,'" said one shopper who was shocked by the savage display.
Freudian slip there? On topic this is a sickening example of mob behaviour but a perfect example to study in the hopes of understanding "flocking" behaviour. Also I'm loving the title to the thread although it id make me think it was going to be satire from decoy or the like.

santaandy

Sep 26, 2008
I think we should outlaw Christmas, Black Friday, and standing in line more than an hour ahead of time. When people start dying because of it, you lose your right to do it. Maybe we should just make people shop online only at times like these (say Nov-Jan).

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Brokkr said:
I heard that the police are going to look over the footage from the security cameras and charge a lot of the people who were responsible for this.
I really hope they do. It's disgusting what has happened. Guy was just trying to make a buck for the holidays, likely to buy his own gifts for his family and friends, and this happens. And that people didn't want to leave and really didn't care that there was a man killed...I don't even have the words to say how heartless you'd have to be.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of that poor man. I hope the police get them justice.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
People will go crazy for free (or heavily reduced goods) it reminds me of the mobs of people at an Ikea Store opening where people wait all night to be first in line to buy a crappy set of shelves or what not.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
This is why I hate crowds. It's easy for a crowd of people to stop being individual, thinking human beings and start becoming a crazy, wild animal.