Mob Kills Wal-Mart Employee, Keeps Shopping

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Nathan Meunier said:
As the throng of eager holiday shoppers grew into the thousands, police were called in shortly after 3:30 a.m. to restore order. They failed.
See, this pisses me off. It was obvious things were out of control, so why did the police do nothing?

Say all you want but a few tear gas grenades and beanbag shots to the stomach later and the happy shoppers wouldn't be in such a hurry.

Riot control techniques exist for a reason.

Ago Iterum

Dec 31, 2007
perfectimo said:
CrafterMan said:
Ago Iterum said:
gerrymander61 said:
Haha, funniest shit i've heard all week!
Okay, yeah, a second post, I'm sorry but I couldn't ignore this. What the hell is wrong with you. Funny?

This post of yours got me so annoyed, but I plan on keeping my badge for not being banned or probationed yet. And you're not worth a banning. However, I'd be delighted to see a lifetime ban attatched to your name.

I'll sit and await my medal for not tearing the... faeces out of you verbally, and hope that others see the light and report this waste of vital organs.
Oh don't worry I reported that son of a ***** I don't care if I get banned, thats not on.
Yeah, where do they get off laughing at something they find funny.

Memo to Walmart: Next year we use the pit.
He should have a little respect. Someone died, it isn't funny.

Freedom of speech, yeah, but when it's this disrespectful and offensive to others, please keep it to yourself. Nobody wants to hear it.

*EDIT* And I've just checked, he's been probationed for it. Justice has been done, hurrah.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Another thought from me: why not simply have "bottlenecked" the shoppers?

some black friday only single corridors to the main doors complete with turnstyles. and lazer beams. Also, surely a ban on people loitering outside the shop would work? a cop patrol every 20 mins, picking up anyone they have seen more than once? no charges or anything, just drop them off about a mile a way from store.

punishment and exercise :)

what is black friday anyway, can anyone explain it to me, im a yorkshire bumpkin after all :p

rosac

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
Caliostro said:
Nathan Meunier said:
As the throng of eager holiday shoppers grew into the thousands, police were called in shortly after 3:30 a.m. to restore order. They failed.
See, this pisses me off. It was obvious things were out of control, so why did the police do nothing?

Say all you want but a few tear gas grenades and beanbag shots to the stomach later and the happy shoppers wouldn't be in such a hurry.

That would indeed make this an entirely different article.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
CanadianWolverine said:
And where do you get off accusing me of being blind and full of hatred towards this corporation? If a documentary (http://www.walmartmovie.com/) and the testimonies of (former?) employees of those places in this thread won't convince you of the truth of the matter, I would strongly suggest that is you who is being blind.

And don't try to paint this like I was only laying blame at the feet of Walmart, I realize full well that everyone there bears the weight of responsibility for this death; just because this Walmart places their employees in harms way doesn't mean the customers had to harm the employee and each other, or that the police had to react to a tragedy rather than prevent one. Even the employees bear some of the responsibility for not telling the employer 'Hell no' and walking off the job when the working conditions became unsafe.
Wal-Mart doesn't pay any less then flipping burgers at McDonald's. There is a job market, but for a first job Wal-Mart is actually pretty good. Anyone can get sick of these low paying jobs because yes for the total amount of work you do you are underpaid, but such is the fact of life. I worked at a grocery store as my first job, and all the bag boys were part time regardless of the hours they did. But by law over here if we do more then 36 hours a week for 3 weeks, then yeah we are forced into being full time, but there are similar laws present in the United States, and yes Wal-Mart follows those same laws.

The Documentary also scorns Wal-Mart for providing low prices. Oh no! cheaper products for consumers whatever shall we do?! Just because Wal-Mart provides the lowest prices, that doesn't mean it's always the best place to shop. Here in Montreal there are several grocery chains. Metro is generally the more expensive grocery store, but they make up for it in improved customer service and they do have some very good specials a lot more often then their competition. The other groceries are mostly cheaper, but Metro isn't going out of business.

If a Wal-Mart was to build a store in a small community, yes of course some small businesses will be affected, this happens all the time, and it isn't just Wal-Mart that does it.

Oh of course I expect you to play the Sweatshop in 3rd world countries card. You sit there in your suburban home and assume you know what's best for the people in other countries. Let me tell you my man that it's a different world over there. The people in those countries are often forced into things like prostitution, rummaging through trash, working out in the fields all just so they can survive. When a clothing manufacturer is built, they are payed something like $0.15 an hour, but that allows them to survive without resorting to the alternatives that are present in their country. Sweat shops often pay quite a bit more then the average incomes in the area, nothing else needs to be said.
What the hell are you going on about? Why are you flaming me with assumptions and accusations? I have to wonder that because what does that have to do with a 'founded' history of mismanagement? That is why I bring it up with regards to this article. I would have brought it up if the only thing different was the name of the store this took place in but in this place, but the store chain has a history of treating their employees poorly, so it is even more apparent to investigate why that employee was placed to 'reinforce' the front doors and what can be done to prevent employers placing employees in harms way.

Well, here's hoping you have found better paying work that doesn't endanger your life needlessly. Peace out, BFG.

Shadow-Knight

Sep 11, 2008
It's either the worst mosh pit ever, or the best. This kind of thing is not what the holidays are about. Oh well, Happy Holidays.

Battlefrank

Jun 16, 2008
swift tongued said:
Baby Tea said:
Brokkr said:
I heard that the police are going to look over the footage from the security cameras and charge a lot of the people who were responsible for this.
I really hope they do. It's disgusting what has happened. Guy was just trying to make a buck for the holidays, likely to buy his own gifts for his family and friends, and this happens. And that people didn't want to leave and really didn't care that there was a man killed...I don't even have the words to say how heartless you'd have to be.quote]

Really? You hope that specific people are punished for the actions of a MOB. It's wrong that he died, but bringing a few people to the sacrificial alter to atone for the crimes of many is in no way justice.
especially considering that most people couldn't stop rushing through even if they tried, they would simply die too.

Battlefrank

Jun 16, 2008
Codeman90 said:
It's sad that the people who trampled him are unable to feel any emotion. Then again these people do shop at Wal-Mart. People like this should be stripped of all of their worldly possesions.
And then stripped of their face.

Chimpa

Dec 2, 2008
Caliostro said:
Nathan Meunier said:

You can sit there and suggest for as long as you wish that the police should have got stuck in and dispersed the crowd, but you know as well as any other intelligent human being, that in the land of the free, and the home of the brave, that's a totally unacceptable concept. In order to achieve ownership of cut price HD T.V.s no price is too high. Had the police used violent methods to disperse the crowd those images would have been broadcasted to disgusted people around the world. Everyone has seen the recording of the L.A.(?) police battering the black guy on the side of the road, this would have just been yet another example of that.

What shocked me was that the Walmart employees were required to reinforce the door to the place, its like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie, not a shopping holiday.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Don't flame me, but I've noticed something really funny on the Wal-Mart video.

As the woman is on the floor, almost being trampled to death, she puts her wig back on before even attempting to save herself & stand up.

Did she notice that she was being filmed & would rather be seen dead than without her syrup?

That stupidly vain act putting your headpiece before life & limb reminds me of Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom, in that scene where Indy ducks under a descending stone gate & his hat gets knocked off, he reaches out & rescues it with mere inches to spare.

That said, I don't think there is anything else funny about the video or the tragedy.
It is truly sad & horrific what people will do to another when gripped by shopping frenzy & mob mentality. It's also appalling that someone died.

But you've got to admit, somebody's wig falling off can bring humour to the darkest of situations.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Crowd forces can reach levels that almost impossible to resist or control. Virtually all crowd deaths are due to compressive asphyxia and not the "trampling" reported by the news media. Evidence of bent steel railings after several fatal crowd incidents show that forces of more than 4500 N (1,000 lbs.) occurred. Forces are due to pushing, and the domino effect of people leaning against each other.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
The man (or people) heard in that video shouting "Back the fuck up!" and trying to help that woman out of harms way should be commended for saving that woman's life. There is at least one person there who cared more about another person's life than so called low prices.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Chimpa said:
You can sit there and suggest for as long as you wish that the police should have got stuck in and dispersed the crowd, but you know as well as any other intelligent human being, that in the land of the free, and the home of the brave, that's a totally unacceptable concept. In order to achieve ownership of cut price HD T.V.s no price is too high. Had the police used violent methods to disperse the crowd those images would have been broadcasted to disgusted people around the world. Everyone has seen the recording of the L.A.(?) police battering the black guy on the side of the road, this would have just been yet another example of that.

What shocked me was that the Walmart employees were required to reinforce the door to the place, its like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie, not a shopping holiday.
And quite honestly, the ignorant masses could go fuck themselves because had they taken the action they should an innocent employee would still be alive today. How many HDTVs is an innocent life worth? Sometimes it's not about taking the popular action, it's about doing what's right, what you have to.

And in case you're comparing, what's the need to batter a single black man on the side of road? I don't really see the point in it (unless I'm missing some backstory on that one). It's just abuse of force. Controlling and if necessary dispersing a mob to avoid people getting trampled? It doesn't even seem "necessary", it seems like the only logical thing to do.

IMO every single person in that mob that walked over the guy or near him without helping needs to be criminally charged with manslaughter, and it that means a few hundred people are going to jail, then be it. A man died due to blatant disregard for his health. The people responsible need to be held responsible for their actions.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Caliostro said:
IMO every single person in that mob that walked over the guy or near him without helping needs to be criminally charged with manslaughter, and it that means a few hundred people are going to jail, then be it. A man died due to blatant disregard for his health. The people responsible need to be held responsible for their actions.
Yeah you try saving someone's life with 4000 pounds of force pushing you. There were those who tried, but anyone who does try rescuing someone caught in a stampede is most likely going to end up another victim of the stampede.

The thing that sickens me is that this stampede was greed fueled, and that customers actually protested to leaving the store when they shut it down.

Chimpa

Dec 2, 2008
There?s still nothing but overarching comments being made by people who were not in the situation being discussed. However, in terms of jailing all of those involved, if there?s any nation on earth who's going to jail that amount of people in one go it will be America. Who are currently in charge of, what was it? 25% of the world?s total incarcerated population?

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
SuperFriendBFG said:
Caliostro said:
Yeah you try saving someone's life with 4000 pounds of force pushing you. There were those who tried, but anyone who does try rescuing someone caught in a stampede is most likely going to end up another victim of the stampede.

The thing that sickens me is that this stampede was greed fueled, and that customers actually protested to leaving the store when they shut it down.
Perhaps, but there's almost always a way. But I was referring to the people that just kept shopping like nothing happened, not the ones that tried to do something but were unable to.

And yes, I agree. Those people need a quick dosage of steel-pipe-to-the-teeth...

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
thebobmaster said:
*picks up katana* Someone want to drive me to New York? Seriously, man. This isn't just sad, that's fucking heartless and cruel to KILL SOMEONE, then not even care beyond your own shopping spree. God, I hate humanity.
hey me too man! hand me a sword and I will join you. I doubt you can imagine how much contempt this fills me with! Where has morality gone! Where has honor gone! This wouldn't happen if more people believed in the Old Code instead of scoffing at it!
Ok, all ranting done and aside, this fills me with sorrow. Every time I get my faith in the human race back up, I see something like this!