MOBAs and obsession over play hours.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Does League even measure play hours? The moment I saw that Steam counted being afk on the menu as play hours was when I discounted them entirely as a skill indicator. I've never even looked at wins or play hours at all for some reason.

As for OP calling, SPIRIT BREAKER OP LOL! NO SKILL LOL!

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Does League even measure play hours? The moment I saw that Steam counted being afk on the menu as play hours was when I discounted them entirely as a skill indicator. I've never even looked at wins or play hours at all for some reason.

Heh spirit breaker, he is just annoying more than anything. It is Templar assassin after this last patch that I'm tired of seeing.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
synobal said:
Heh spirit breaker, he is just annoying more than anything.
Like Ursa, Drow, Anti-Mage, Shadow Fiend and other right-click super-stars who can snowball early and demolish disorganized teams, Spirit Breaker is a classic "pub stomper" hero. At OP's level he'd be absolutely murderous.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
synobal said:
The Wykydtron said:

Heh spirit breaker, he is just annoying more than anything. It is Templar assassin after this last patch that I'm tired of seeing.
My friends try to ban me from playing SB with them. Yeah i'll tower dive past their third top tower for a kill at level 6. Repeatedly. Top lel

The Mu calculation and flow chart is spot on. Like I drop everything and charge from one side of the map to another whenever I see a remotely low health enemy. Then charge back and forth between lanes like a deranged cow pinball, from level 3, even 2 onward. He's not good for my health either, I've legitimately started to giggle whenever i'm close to hitting a low health "lol i'm so out" enemy. One point a full evil laugh.

I assume SB isn't viable in top level play? Literally the biggest one trick cow I have ever seen and the fact that people regularly charge through lanes clearly visible to the enemy team is a big disadvantage.

Oh and multihitting spells rek TA. Like minions destroy her. Her shield thing deflects instances of damage not damage values so the 6 tiny minion attacks break the shield instantly instead of 6 tower shots taking their freaking time.

The real bullshit is Huskar. His ult halves your health on its own, it's like they designed an all in crazy regen melee carry/bruiser hero then mistakenly gave him ranged autoattacks. There is no reason for him to be ranged considering his skillset and insane all-in playstyle, he 1v5s regularly.

I just dislike how most DOTA pub games get decided from the word go by which random hero on either team gets fed as fuck and unlike in say League, true 1v5s can and do happen. Simply focusing the guy does fuck all.

So many heros can get one kill then just win the game off that alone, AKA WHO THE FUCK FED HUSKAR?!

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
I never judge people by the amount of hours they have in Dota, since you can just idle. I do sometimes judge based on the number of wins as well as your top heroes. If you're feeding hard with 1000 wins and your best heroes are Drow, Riki, Pudge etc., you're damn right I'll judge you.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
The Wykydtron said:
I just dislike how most DOTA pub games get decided from the word go by which random hero on either team gets fed as fuck and unlike in say League, true 1v5s can and do happen. Simply focusing the guy does fuck all.

So many heros can get one kill then just win the game off that alone, AKA WHO THE FUCK FED HUSKAR?!
You don't need to feed Huskar right now, he will just destroy you 10% harder if you do. Its his passive that makes him so strong and he only needs level 7 for that.

He's disabled in CM so I'd advise playing that right now.
Whenever someone pucks Huskar I play Abaddon and go into his lane. His Ulti and Shield just makes it the most hilarious game ever, watching him waste his mana.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
MorphingDragon said:
I'm nearing 60 matches so your scale is a bit off. But even then that scale is a bit skewed. You get extra "points" for winning, being commended etc. But I still realize I'm in no way "good".
That's not how it works - you literally get the same amount of BP regardless of whatever factors you think it accounts for except for time (and purchasable bonuses). That's all it is - it gives you BP based on the length of the time, possibly modified by any Battle Bonus that may be in play.

MorphingDragon said:
Whenever someone pucks Huskar I play Abaddon and go into his lane. His Ulti and Shield just makes it the most hilarious game ever, watching him waste his mana.
Huskar is not mana dependant, either - only his heal costs him mana, the other two active cost him life, which he usually regenerates fast enough, so it's a not like he's wasting any resources. Finally, Aba is really not that good a counter to Huskar, at least a Huskar that plays semo-competently - you don't need to go burning spears all the time, thus you can safely proc your ulty, wait for few seconds and murderize you. Even then, it's not like Aba is immortal, a Huskar, even non-farmed, would have little issue burning (even literally) through Aba's hit points twice - just do a dumb right-click strategy - that is right click with Burning Spears on, Aba's HP goes down, then up, then you ulty and righ-click. Dead.

If you want a better counter, try Axe - his ulty is instagib at the right amounts of hit points and actually Huskar would really like to have his life low for the extra bonus. OD is also good to lane mid against Husk - the banish is so awesome to keep enemies down, you also can banish yourself to avoid an ulty and/or some burning damage, moreover OD's ulty can rip through Huskar (just be careful - don't use it when he's too low), and furthermore, the Arcane Orb does pure damage which ignores his magic resistance and armour. Omniknight is also a good counter with his ulty and Repel. Timbersaw is a counter to an extent, in the sense that he pretty much only does pure damage, so Huskar would be in trouble there. Other counters are disables of various kinds, Bane for example, can pretty much make Huskar useless. Item counters would be black king bar (magic immunity stops burning, and while he can execute ulty, you won't lose any health or be slowed), heaven's halberd (more HP is good, the dodge chance, too, the disarm is awesome), and blade mail, if you can carry one (it returns pure damage, Huskar cannot burst you down, unless he can tank his own damage).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, aside for going for straight hero counters, actuallly just good play is enough. Huskar can, in fact, have an obscene K/D ratio and still lose - now if you just wipe out his team in team fights, he's still not going to one man the game. You can safely just go for team wipes, like one or two out of Tide, Warlock, Sand King and Enigma (among others) and just team wipe all the time. Couple that with just more careful play and not feeding him too much and there you go - he isn't that dangerous as many believe him to be. I've honestly lost games where I've had, like, 20/4 ratio and similar with Huskar just because that's not enough to win the whole game, unless the enemy team constantly spread out and I would kill them one or two at a time all the time - my team dying all the time did actually hinder me.

EDIT 2: Slardar. He's also a good counter to Huskar, now that I think it over - Huskar's armour kind of sucks a bit and -20 is going to put him into a rough spot - at level 16 (assuming no agility or armour items, and they are quite rare on pub Huskar, except maybe Dominator) is goint to put him at -13 armour which is 55% increased physical damage. At this point, just stun him and righ-click him. And incidentally, these are both things Slardar can do, or at the very least, he can stun and everybody else can righ-click. There, done - Huskar is dead.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Schmeiser said:
What? Just what? Well i guess you're being sarcastic or trolling but just so you know dota is balanced for competitive play.
I don't know how that's relevant to what I said.
If that's any relief, I've got no clue either.

OT: Forgot to mention, I've never actually encountered anybody mentioning playtime in Dota 2. Really - nobody at all, and I have played for quite a while. For reference, my playtime is well into the three digits, so I've obviously been hanging out with others who played it. The discussions who is OP and who isn't still happen, though. And judging others, too - just I've never seen it based on playtime.

Actually, if you want to learn to play better, I'd suggest watching some of Purge's videos on YouTube - I recently started doing it, and they are really good, entertaining too. I'd recommend checking

for example and his replay commentaries, too. The pub castings are also quite good for pointing out newbie mistakes. Also, some are just great fun like

Skeleton king opting for 6 ironwood branches in the beginning and then hellfire blast-ing the first creep he sees, which actually kinda works, considering he didn't die all game and managed to get shitloads of money with which he bought power treads, quelling blade and an armlet.