Mod Support, More Frequent Updates May Come to Terraria

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mod Support, More Frequent Updates May Come to Terraria

Terraria developer Redigit would love for mod support to act as the "final" update to his game.

PC gamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/terraria] caught up with lead developer and creator Redigit, and picked his brains about the game's future. While he himself will no longer be working on the game, Redigit says that smaller, more frequent updates are one of the remaining team's new goals, and even mod support as a "final update" is a possibility.

"[1.3] will be the last update that I work on personally so it is hard to say what the future holds. That decision will be left up to the team that continues to work on Terraria," he said. "We like the idea of switching to smaller more frequent updates moving forward."

He added that "We have always felt that Mod Support would be the best final update to Terraria so that the community could keep the game alive."

One thing that won't be added, however, is a new "final" boss. 1.3 added the "Moon Lord" which was toted as the final boss of the game, something that Redigit would like to remain as such. "This will likely be the end of the game's progression, but we do intend to continue updating. There is a lot we can do without pushing progression further. We have a lot of ideas for new mechanics and alternate biomes"

Redigit also stressed that there would never be any paid DLC content for the game. "As a gamer I have never really been a fan of paid DLC."

The developer also had a few things to say about Steam's somewhat controversial Early Access [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/early%20access] program. " I would not have done Early Access had that been an option. I would have continued to work on the game until I felt it was ready for release. Because Terraria was leaked, I felt forced to release the game sooner than I would have liked and worked towards getting it to my ideal release state."

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/mod-support-and-more-frequent-updates-are-coming-to-terraria/]

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I'm honestly happy with what they've done with Terraria. I stopped playing a long time ago and have only just recently come back to see what was new, and by Christ is there a lot. Back when it was released I could have finished it in about half a week, now I'm a month in to a new world and character and I'm still doing prep work getting my world ready for Hardmode. And I haven't even touched Expert Mode yet.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
Mod Support and More Frequent Updates Possibly in Store for Terraria

There, fixed the title for you. ;)

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
This is good news to me. Still play terraria from time to time and run across odd surprises. Good to see it still getting stuff and the creator is aware of both the value of mods and the horribleness of paid DLC.

Now if only they would add the arm's dealer's coat as a vanity item, I'd be all set.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Oh well. A game has to end at some point, and with the over 500 hours I've put into it, it's fairly obvious I've gotten my moneys worth (in the extreme).

I'll probably keep playing it for a while longer, though.
What I'd like to see them add along with that extra biome stuff is more incentive to play Expert Mode. I'm halfway through it now, and the extra stuff you can get from it is extremely limited, and in some cases very lackluster. The improved boss mechanics are cool, but the arbitrary _extreme_ extra damage normal mobs do is just insane, and basically invalidates any armor types apart from Melee (that has the highest armor rating).
Playing as a Mage in expert mode is just plain near-impossible, and that is something I'd also like to see them adress.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
There's little to dislike about the terraria team. There was so much love poured into this one little 2D escapade. It's hard not to smile at it and ruffle it's head like the adorable fun-loving game it is.

I'd love mod support updates, I've got some ideas myself. (If i had more time)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Makes me glad I bought the game twice for ze home platforms. Whereas Minecraft is still pumping out endless paid dlc for some reason. Plus it is closer to my real name than any other game so I am quite obligated to support it! :D
Isn't there a sequel in the works for terraria? I could have sworn there was an article on here about that, before chrismas maybe, including a screenshot or two.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Xsjadoblayde said:
Isn't there a sequel in the works for terraria? I could have sworn there was an article on here about that, before chrismas maybe, including a screenshot or two.
Yeah, Terraria: Otherworld. I never really bothered to contain the spread of biomes, so I'm not that estatic about the spinoff, but not many details are known.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Charli said:
There's little to dislike about the terraria team. There was so much love poured into this one little 2D escapade. It's hard not to smile at it and ruffle it's head like the adorable fun-loving game it is.

I'd love mod support updates, I've got some ideas myself. (If i had more time)
Glad to see some love for this game on these forums. I remember when Redigit announced that he wouldn't be updating the game for a while a couple of years ago due to him just having a newborn baby boy and certain people here got so upset with him. People went as far as to say "I don't care if he just had a kid, he said he'd update the game frequently."

Good to see that kind of talk gone. Especially with Redigit's parnter leaving to make Starbound. Now there's a game that needs to find its footing.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
Personally never been a fan of mods, under the reasoning of 'if the base game isn't really enjoyable then I'm not gonna go seek out enhancement for it as I have no interest in the game'

But in Terraria's case... well, put in 700+ hours in the base game, so bring on some mods!

More specifically a mod that has more biomes, more distinct class differences, and more classes, more endgame goals, possible branching paths (like you can either take on the Wall of Flesh or some Sky-god enemy and it transitions to a diff type of Hardmode). Hell I'd even go for a graphical mod.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
EMWISE94 said:
Personally never been a fan of mods, under the reasoning of 'if the base game isn't really enjoyable then I'm not gonna go seek out enhancement for it as I have no interest in the game'

But in Terraria's case... well, put in 700+ hours in the base game, so bring on some mods!

More specifically a mod that has more biomes, more distinct class differences, and more classes, more endgame goals, possible branching paths (like you can either take on the Wall of Flesh or some Sky-god enemy and it transitions to a diff type of Hardmode). Hell I'd even go for a graphical mod.
There are no classes in Terraria, how could one make a difference? Sure, you could specialize by carrying one weapon only, but why would you?

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
Naldan said:
There are no classes in Terraria, how could one make a difference? Sure, you could specialize by carrying one weapon only, but why would you?
There are classes in Terraria, sure its not set in stone with stat/skill points that you spend in builds but there are classes: melee, ranged, magical and summoners, each with their own armour sets which boost said 'class' abilities when worn in a full set, e.g: melee armour sets increase melee speed and offer more armour, mage sets reduce mana usage and boost magic attack.

As to why you'd only play one class? well for the challenge, that's one reason, when I first played Terraria I wont lie I wore mostly melee armour (mostly cause it had the best defense) and used a multitude of weapons, but after you 'beat' the game once but you wanna go through the experience again, what better way than play a specific 'class'?

As for the 'making a difference' part, that's mostly aimed at later game melee class weapons as they take on ranged/magical attributes, like the Terra Blade which allows you to shoot swords beams and thus becomes a ranged weapon in a sense. I'd prefer it if such weapons belonged to two categories so it could be a Magical Melee weapon, which can be wielded by both mages and warriors and depending on which class is using it, its attack properties change (for example mages can use it to shoot beam swords whilst warriors can make the blade expand and deal massive damage or whatever), another things would be maybe giving melee classes some more variety to combat other than just swinging away, maybe some charged moves, counter moves, lunges, launchers etc.

I have like a number of things I could go on and on about that would add to the Terraria experience but its long winded and nobody wants to sit down for that.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
EMWISE94 said:
I think it would be futile.

Thanks, I get it. It has been a very long time since I seriously played Terraria. Now, it feels a bit bloated, but maybe I should start to make challenges like you did. But 500 other games in my library have a problem with that. Fuck time.