Mod the Apocalypse Away With Rage's Level Editor

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
14,499
0
0
Mod the Apocalypse Away With Rage's Level Editor



Budding modders will be able to mess with id's Rage right out of the box.

Gamers have been modding id games since the company's early days, partially due to id's encouragement of the act. Don't expect that to change in the least for upcoming shooter Rage [http://www.amazon.com/Rage-Pc/dp/B003ICGL7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304698215&sr=8-3]. Id has announced that the PC version of Rage will not only support modding, but launch with with Rage's "id studio."

Which basically refers to id's own design tools used for the game. Id creative director Tim Willits told PC Gamer that Rage will ship with these tools so modders can jump right in.

"Pull down the console, type 'id studio', then press enter," Willits said. "Then, bam, there's all the tools we use."

Willits believes that modding Rage will be a challenge when moving beyond exterior elements. "Building levels from scratch is more difficult because we have a layer system in some of the levels," he added. Willits predicts that lots of people will alter the game's already developed towns with new NPCs and the like. However, the ability to dig into the tech is "built into the engine" for modders that want to go deeper.

As a wee lad, I still remember loving a Doom II [http://www.amazon.com/Doom-2-Jewel-Case-Pc/dp/B00005OBQB/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304698550&sr=1-1] WAD that made the enemies die in much more horrific and bloody ways. In today's complex gaming world it's a little harder to do the exact same thing, but it's nice that id continues to see the value in giving players the opportunity.

Rage will be released for the PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 on September 13.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/05/rage-to-ship-with-full-level-editor-id-studio/]

Permalink
 

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Aug 14, 2020
2,263
0
1
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Gender
Guy
I love when game companys support modding it brings the gamers and game company closer



Captcha: so-called tmencel
I wouldnt know o_O
 

icyneesan

New member
Feb 28, 2010
1,881
0
0
Maybe someone will be able to mod just a little more color into the game for me ;3
 

Fooz

New member
Oct 22, 2010
1,055
0
0
i will definitely have to mess around with this, can't wait to see what people come up with

Veldie said:
I love when game companys support modding it brings the gamers and game company closer
also this
 

Tartarga

New member
Jun 4, 2008
3,649
0
0
Is it only on the PC version? That's too bad, it sounds like you can do some pretty awesome stuff with it.
 

Wolfram23

New member
Mar 23, 2004
4,095
0
0
The value of RAGE, which I was already anticipating, just went up exponentially in my eyes.

Awesome!
 

imperialreign

New member
Mar 23, 2010
348
0
0
It's things like this that continue to prove ID Software are deserving of our everlasting respect and admiration, as well as cementing them as a pinion developer in the gaming market. I truly wish more game devs would follow their example . . .

They've been extremelly supportive of their communities for 2 decades now, and it doesn't look like they'll stop any time soon. Come to think of it, I believe we're nearing the mark where they'll probably release the source code for Doom3 (like they've done with all their previous titles). One of the few companies that was founded on shareware and continues to believe in that concept.
 

Kevlar Eater

New member
Sep 27, 2009
1,933
0
0
Interesting. I would like to play a game that gives me an easy time with accessing the editing parts, and this seems nice, but it's pretty far off. Meh, I can wait.
 

GonzoGamer

New member
Apr 9, 2008
7,063
0
0
This is looking cool but I think I'm going to have to finally rebuild my desktop.
 

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
9,145
0
0
So ID and Bethesda are teaming up to make the absolute most mod-friendly game ever of all time ever?

Also, your second paragraph is calling to the GrammarHound to make it whole again.
 

Lordmarkus

New member
Jun 6, 2009
1,384
0
0
Hopefully this will reach the guys over at Dice so they'll release mod tools for Battlefield 3 despite their claim that the tools are too advanced. Don't underestimate your fanbase in case of technical knowhow.

Looking forward to this game. First new IP I will pre-order. Yay!

bleachigo10 said:
Is it only on the PC version? That's too bad, it sounds like you can do some pretty awesome stuff with it.
Have you ever heard of such thing as mod-support for consolegames? No, you haven't. Hopefully they'll bring it in next generation though.
 

RA92

New member
Jan 1, 2011
3,079
0
0
imperialreign said:
It's things like this that continue to prove ID Software are deserving of our everlasting respect and admiration, as well as cementing them as a pinion developer in the gaming market. I truly wish more game devs would follow their example . . .

They've been extremelly supportive of their communities for 2 decades now, and it doesn't look like they'll stop any time soon. Come to think of it, I believe we're nearing the mark where they'll probably release the source code for Doom3 (like they've done with all their previous titles). One of the few companies that was founded on shareware and continues to believe in that concept.
Hell, remember how 9 levels of the original Doom were basically shareware? id was always awesome.

Lordmarkus said:
Have you ever heard of such thing as mod-support for consolegames? No, you haven't. Hopefully they'll bring it in next generation though.
Can't see MS letting XBL members sharing free content amongst themselves. Even if they do, they'll add a fee (those cheap bastards don't let free XBL members even send messages), not to mention not letting anything in that they don't approve of.
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
NOW I'm interested enough to go look up info on the game, and maybe buy it!
 

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
19,316
0
0
bleachigo10 said:
Is it only on the PC version? That's too bad, it sounds like you can do some pretty awesome stuff with it.
Considering how modding typically involves entering game files and literally retyping sections of it as well as redoing/retexturing the models by hand, I don't see that doing too well on consoles.
 

imperialreign

New member
Mar 23, 2010
348
0
0
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Hell, remember how 9 levels of the original Doom were basically shareware? id was always awesome.
I remember the first 3 "campaigns" of Wolf3D, and it's expansion Spear of Destiny being shareware. lol.

ID has been good to us gamers over the years.
 

teebeeohh

New member
Jun 17, 2009
2,896
0
0
if you like shooters you literally have to buy this. even if you don't intend to play it just buy it and store the box on a shelf. Not only is id the oldest, it's also the most modding friendly shooter developer ever.so much of my childhood was build with their engines.