Moddable RTS Coming to PS3 With Move Support

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Moddable RTS Coming to PS3 With Move Support

Real-time strategy fans that need a break from the PC might have a new PS3 title to look forward to in Under Siege.

Seed Studios has posted up a good amount of details about the upcoming Under Siege on the PlayStation blog. Under Siege is a real-time strategy game being developed specifically for the PlayStation 3 but with all of the features you'd expect from a PC RTS.

The progression of Under Siege's single-player campaign, which Seed calls "juicy," is said to differ from that seen in a game like StarCraft [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283825344&sr=8-1] where a base must typically be built from scratch before much can get done. Instead of base management, players begin with an army, and money to train new squads is earned through winning at combat and completing other tasks. Squads level up, so you'll want to keep them alive to use in future battles. Also differing from the typical RTS is that a player's army is made up of every race in the game, instead of just one with its own specific abilities, which Seed says makes for an interesting time in multiplayer.

As for multiplayer, up to four players can compete online in 1v1, 2v2, 3v1, or 4 players versus the computer. Surprisingly, two players can also duke it out locally in a split-screen mode. Seed says that just about any kind of multiplayer mode will be possible, and the game will ship with Deathmatch, Capture Point, Capture Treasure, and Survival maps.

The reason Seed Studios believes anything is possible in Under Siege is because it's taking a cue from LittleBigPlanet [http://www.amazon.com/LittleBigPlanet-Game-Year-Playstation-3/dp/B002ELCUUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283825353&sr=8-1] and including the same level editor it used to create the game for players to use. The developer is saying that users can share their created maps with other Under Siege players around the world, meaning they should be playable in multiplayer.

Under Siege's control scheme is being developed specifically for the PlayStation 3 controller, so we'll have to see how that turns out. The studio is also implementing support for Sony has said [http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283825664&sr=8-1] is actually better for real-time strategy games than a mouse and keyboard. We'll definitely find out if that's true when Under Siege hits. The game will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and sold as a download through the PlayStation Network this fall.

Source: PlayStation blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/06/under-siege-for-ps3-first-video-playstation-move-details/]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
That's quite interesting, although I'm not a fan of console RTS'ses, it's good to know they're including a map editor to make the game lenghtier. And Move better than a mouse and keyboard for an RTS?, I've got to see it to belive it.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Game looks some what interesting, but I dont wanna buy a Move just to play it lol

Enzeru92

Oct 18, 2008
seems interesting I'll look forward to it whenever it comes out but i'll probably wait for a review before buying

IHateDaManSkirt

Nov 21, 2009
icyneesan said:
Game looks some what interesting, but I dont wanna buy a Move just to play it lol
You don't have to.

OT: It seems interesting. I'll definitely buy it if my friends do.

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
I hate when they try to pass of not having base building as an innovative new feature. I like building bases! Base management is one of the aspects of RTS games as we know them and when it isn't included it becomes a drastically different experience because of it.

Not saying that games without base building are automatically bad, but you can't deny that they play differently and something I think that current developers (and gamers) need to learn is that being different isn't something that is necessarily bad or worse, just different, and that innovation does not guarantee improvement.

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
So its sort of a RTS with RPG elements. Not sure I like the absence of base building, games seem to be losing that lately and I like my base building :\

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Potato21 said:
So its sort of a RTS with RPG elements. Not sure I like the absence of base building, games seem to be losing that lately and I like my base building :\
What this guy said. One thing I loved about games like Civilization and Stronghold Crusader was that combat took a backseat to the effectiveness of your base.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jeez, a lot of developers are announcing games that will support the Move. Consider this on my radar, albiet a mostly small one.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Fiend Dragon said:
I hate when they try to pass of not having base building as an innovative new feature. I like building bases! Base management is one of the aspects of RTS games as we know them and when it isn't included it becomes a drastically different experience because of it.

Not saying that games without base building are automatically bad, but you can't deny that they play differently and something I think that current developers (and gamers) need to learn is that being different isn't something that is necessarily bad or worse, just different, and that innovation does not guarantee improvement.
Not to mention base-free RTS are not exactly a new thing.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Fiend Dragon said:

I find it irritating as well because I love base-building. I play RTS single player to relax, so I often like to try and make a really unique fort/base/home town that is just fun to look at. Then there are the opportunities for blocking off a pass and fortifying a position to defend enemy sieges. Best of all though are epic sieges against the enemy stronghold.

We'll see on the Move better than mouse/keyboard, but it might be pretty interesting in the end. I will wait and see how the gameplay sounds because of the base-building exclusion though.

wazups2x

Apr 2, 2010
A mouse has pixel perfect accuracy, nothing can beat that. A keyboard has a ton of keys to use with macros and hotkeys, the move has like 4 buttons.

Also, with a mouse you can move the screen around fast. With an FPS you can do an instant 180 while still maintaining your accuracy. With motion controls like move to turn the screen around you have to aim the aimer at the sides of the screen, this creates slow awkward movements. It makes playing both RTS's and FPS's with motion controls terrible compared to a mouse and keyboard.

Motion controls will always be a gimmick.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I not entirely sure about this...

On the one hand, yes, having the point and click functionality on a console is nice, but we had that for years with the Wii already. Why hasn't somebody come up with a RTS for that?

On the other hand, how much can you micro with the Move? A keyboard you can set what every units, buildings, or special attacks on tons of keys in a flat interface, how would that work with the Move (lot less buttons spread over a TV remote with a lightbulb on it) I don't know.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
There can never be enough RTSs. I'll get it with the Move if it doesn't suck.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
well this game more seems like an RTT like DoW2, which I love, I am not much of a fan of base building RTS, I tried C&C Tiberian Sun when they released for free and someone taught me a good tatic and it was soooo confusing. I just like to send in troops and fight it out. :)