Modder Crams N64 into a Game Gear

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modder Crams N64 into a Game Gear

How do you make a handheld version of a retro console? Well, you might try sticking it inside an even more retro console.

This N64 mod, which takes the Nintendo console and stuffs it inside the shell of a Sega Game Gear is kind of hard to describe without making it sound like something from a horror movie. But slightly creepy mental images aside, the N GEAR 64, as modder Evil Nod [http://www.youtube.com/user/EVILNOD6] refers to it, is actually quite a nifty little device.

Nod has taken all the parts that make the N64 work and somehow gotten them to fit into a shell around half the size and included a screen and a controller. It's not just the basic N64 in there either, there's an N64 Expansion Pak as well, which was needed to play games like Majora's Mask and Donkey Kong 64.

The N GEAR 64 is also capable of hooking up to a TV so that others can join in on multi-player games, although that requires a custom built break out box. It's also kind of portable; as long as you have Evil Nod's modified Game Gear battery pack.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/modded-game-gear-becomes-portable-home-for-n64-video/]

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Dude, I remember my friend having a gear gear! It was sick nasty ;)

Jokes Aside, that is a wonky piece of modding right there. I wonder what the battery life is?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
kinda portable lol. not really sure this is a step forward or back, can't the DS already do this? assuming Nintendo is re-releasing N64 games online

But awesome thing nonetheless :D

bojangles010

Sep 23, 2009
i don't think he's really trying to make a step forward in gaming. Its just a guy who likes to what kind of fun and exciting things he can do with old tech.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
GEAR Gear?

You meant Game Gear in the topic title, right?

Anyway...Now I can take Jet Force Gemini wherever I go! If I could be bothered to make this thingy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It's more portable than the Virtual Boy (but to be fair, so is the Gamecube)

It looked really cool! Wish I could do shit like that xD

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Well that certainly is impressive, I'd love to be able to take my N64 out and about.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
It's more portable than the Virtual Boy (but to be fair, so is the Gamecube)

It looked really cool! Wish I could do shit like that xD
Anything you can think of is probably more portable than a Virtual Boy, and hundreds of times less embarrassing.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I remember some guy on my old forum trying to make a portable Gamecube. Never did find out if he was successful.

Nevertheless, congratulations to this guy.

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
He forgot the D-pad, have fun playing Kirby 64...

That aside, portable console mods are something I wanted to get into for a while. I even bought a PS1 screen (The screen in which most mods make use of) but haven't come up with a victim to try it with. This is even more impressive than the NES in a Gameboy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Oh wow o.o Thats pretty nifty, lol.

Its a hybrid! To control all hybrids!

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I dream of the day that some modder dude can take my old N64 controller, build a square square where the start button and logo used to be, and make a portable N64. There's plenty of room under the D-pad (did any games ever use the D-pad?) and inside that slot where you stuck your rumble pack.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
That.... is.... AWESOME! I used to have a game gear, it was a very nice device to have. But portable.. heh..right. 6 AA batteries for 2 hours to play (if you're lucky). But it was, in my opinion, state of the art for the time it was made. Wonder how mutch this beauty here uses for energy.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
This guy should work for Sony or Nintendo.
This guy alone would make their handhelds 10 times better.

Big Max

Aug 29, 2009
Its awesome how it was built into a pre-existing console. But no portable N64 mods will ever beat the iNto64, it just looks so... Professional.