Modern Warfare 2 Makes a Resurgence With Five New Maps

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Modern Warfare 2 Makes a Resurgence With Five New Maps

Ready to spend fifteen more dollars for five more Modern Warfare 2 maps?

The second map pack for Major Nelson podcast [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78009]. As he said, Activision wants to keep the maps "coming in hot."

The format remains the same as the Stimulus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99149-Modern-Warfare-2-Stimulus-Package-Details-Spawn] map pack: two remakes of maps from Modern Warfare and three new maps. The remade maps are going to be "Vacant," the Russian office complex, and "Strike," an urban town. Both will be updated with new visuals, atmosphere, and details.

The coolest sounding new map will be "Carnival," a desolate amusement park. It'll include a roller coaster, a funhouse, and a castle. Bowling says it's going to be pretty fun when players are taking fire "from a giant clown mouth." A second is called "Trailer Park," a maze-like map with tight corridors. And what trailer park would be complete without a pool and BBQ area? The third and final map is "Fuel," another wide-open sniper haven located at an oil refinery and warehouse.

Again, the Resurgence pack will only be released on Xbox Live on June 3. Other platforms will have to wait, as they did for the Stimulus pack. Resurgence will be priced at $15 (1200 Microsoft Points), also the same as it was for the Stimulus pack. Though Modern Warfare 2 already has a nice selection of maps, it wouldn't be surprising if a third map pack pops up before the end of summer as well.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Maybe they could announce a $10 pack, with 4 new maps...or something like that. Hell, that's what Treyarch did. 3 new versus maps with each pack, and 1 new zombie map with each pack. Replace the zombie maps with a few spec op missions and BAM, there you go.

Ah. I sold my game to Amazon for $30 last weekend anyway. Not too shabby, considering I bought it for $40 from Amazon during the Christmas sale.

Apr 28, 2008
It'll be funny to see all the cries that its still overpriced, yet most of the haters will just end up buying it instantly. Like with the first map pack...

I won't buy it though. I've moved on from Modern Warfare 2. A man can take only so many kids crying about getting their nukes...

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Loving the name....

Aside from that awful pun, this is nothing new. Just another kick at the cash cow.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't care when a developer brings new maps, but it pisses me off when they deliberately leave out maps they had in the last game just so they can bring them out again and re-charge people for them.

I am glad I don't play MW2 to be honest, I also wish Epic hadn't done it with Gears of War 2, and Bungie with Halo 3.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
*groan* Again? Seriously, I haven't raged enough over the Stimulus. Alas, the large quantity of battery fanbois Activision has cultivated means this will break more records.

skcseth

May 25, 2009
$15 for a pack of five maps is ridiculous. But yes, I'm still going to pony up to keep up with all the other cool kids on MW2 *sigh*

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Ok guys, this is ridiculous. Taxes in, you're looking at a $100 dollar FPS. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Imagine if they'd sold it that way boxed?!

The fact of the matter is that this game may have been well-designed, it may look good but it is just one shooter in a sea of shooters. The only thing that sets it apart is hype and Activision's amazingly effective tactics of squeezing customers dry. Hang up of these sonsofbitches and find something else to play!

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Don't care, already destroyed sold both copies* of Modern Warfare 2.

*I needed a new xbox 360 and decided to spring for the MW2 edition one. Which I don't regret at all.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Crunchy English said:
Ok guys, this is ridiculous. Taxes in, you're looking at a $100 dollar FPS. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. Imagine if they'd sold it that way boxed?!

The fact of the matter is that this game may have been well-designed, it may look good but it is just one shooter in a sea of shooters. The only thing that sets it apart is hype and Activision's amazingly effective tactics of squeezing customers dry. Hang up of these sonsofbitches and find something else to play!
Perhaps you understand that map packs aren't needed to play? Thus, how does this raise the base price of the game to $100? If you count DLC as part of the base price...that's just...not right. Unless they FORCED IT into rotation for everyone, like they did in 4 and 5.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
skcseth said:
$15 for a pack of five maps is ridiculous. But yes, I'm still going to pony up to keep up with all the other cool kids on MW2 *sigh*
Why? Why do you feel the need to buy something that is this overpriced?

OT: As I said in another thread, I got 26 TF2 maps this morning for free, and there is no way in hell I'd pay the price of an indy game for maps.

I really hope other people don't buy it either, otherwise we'll see a massive shortage on map makers/mods in the time to come, and that is seriously going to hurt gaming.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
Hardy fucking ha. Infinity Ward are just naive thinking that us mindless sheep will shell out another handful of cash for a few more maps.
Then again, I've always disliked CoD so I wouldn't think about buying them anyway.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
i think i will resist, as i did with the last map pack. i would love to see the good ol' cod4-maps with my fancy new weapons and perks, yes, but..30 bucks for 10 maps, half of them not even new?
i remember a time, there were those things called "patches" and in them there sometimes was content, for free! dig that, free stuff...it was considered good service by the developers to add killhouse and chinatown to cod4 just because. *sigh* well, those days are over for sure.