Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
KSarty said:
As explained earlier in this thread, it costs more to release games on consoles rather than PC because part of the profits go to the console manufacturer. PC developers don't have that problem, so the price didn't go up.
And PC games, as I have stated, have features that allow them to rise above their console counterparts. At least you now know that the 10$ extra is going to the developer of the game rather than to the console owners.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Maybe $60 for you. In Poland all our games are 250 PLN, that's about $70. So welcome to our world, where prices are higher than you'd want them to be.

Razman

Sep 11, 2008
so......same (too) short campaign length as cod4(if my sources are still correct),no PC CE's AND 10 euro's up in price (US readers; they tend to swap the word 'dollars' with 'euro's' around here, which in effect occasionally means we're actually paying more anyway) .....that's gonna be a second hand purchase then. Also w/r the whole 'why are PC titles 10 euro's cheaper' debate, I tend to turn it around: I never did understand why xbox/ps titles had to be 10 - 15 euro's more expensive...then again I've seen worse nitpicking, like the fact that 360's version of Alone in the dark is actually 1 full euro more expensive than the pc version at my local mediamarkt....and seeing that game did so well that I managed to get my hands on the pc AITD CE for 10 euro's there, THATS nitpicking:p

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
As explained earlier in this thread, it costs more to release games on consoles rather than PC because part of the profits go to the console manufacturer. PC developers don't have that problem, so the price didn't go up.
And PC games, as I have stated, have features that allow them to rise above their console counterparts. At least you now know that the 10$ extra is going to the developer of the game rather than to the console owners.
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up? That is like charging extra for the initial game because there will be some dlc for it eventually that most people won't even use.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
D_987 said:
I really don't see why PC games are cheaper anyway, considering they get mod tools and more updates than console players...
I completely agree. With fps especially i tend to go the PC route, and with all the perks like better gfx, online, a mouse and keyboard, mods etc etc..the rare pc games i buy i always look at as a bargain.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Well I wasn't gonna buy it anyway (well, I may consider getting the first one used), I just hope this trend doesn't spread.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up? That is like charging extra for the initial game because there will be some dlc for it eventually that most people won't even use.
I'm sure people would complain if they made you pay for the mod tools when those were released.

Look at it this way, you're just paying for these items in advance. 10$ is not that big of a deal for one person.

ben---neb

No duckies...only drowning
Apr 22, 2009
£35! Sterling! What a joke. I never pay more than £25. Looks like that game is getting crossed off my "to buy" list. I hope Activision don't sell any at all on the PC.

In saying this it is perfectly within Activision's right to sell the game for whatever price they want. As a consumer it is perfectly in my right not to buy it and spend my money elsewhere. Which is what I shall be doing. Dragon Age. Mass Effect 2. Brutal Legend. Who needs Modern Warefare?

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up?
I'm sure people would complain if they made you pay for the mod tools when those were released.

Look at it this way, you're just paying for these items in advance. 10$ is not that big of a deal for one person.
Except that probably 90% of the user base for PC games never touch the mod tools, so it is still a ripoff. Like I said, it is like charging for dlc in advance even though most people won't bother with the dlc.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
It's almost like Activision don't want to sell it.
It's almost like Activision understands the fundamentals of supply and demand.

Personally I won't buy it at that price, but I know that enough people will that its likly to cause a ripple effect into other PC releases.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I know I want to say "Screw Activision", and "I'm not buying this until you drop the Price", but I will end up buying it anyway, as I didn't get enough out of CoD4 short but fun single player. And Special Ops better have enough maps to keep my little shooter finger happy.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
No it's nto fair. Console games cost more because a small part of the costs goes to the console maker. That's why it costs more 10 euros/dollars/diamonds/whatever.

Theres is no money for Microsoft/Mac/whatever, so there's no need to up the price. Days after you going to get a news about how MW2 piracy on the PC is going crazy.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up?

Except that probably 90% of the user base for PC games never touch the mod tools, so it is still a ripoff. Like I said, it is like charging for dlc in advance even though most people won't bother with the dlc.
Then just wait for the price to drop if it's that big of a deal. I can't believe everyone is complaining about a 10$ price increase.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Days after you going to get a news about how MW2 piracy on the PC is going crazy.
Which is stupid. Pirating the game just makes you a selfish and greedy asshole and that's what Activision will think. If you wait for the price to drop then that will send a bigger message to Activision.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
it is only 10 dollars , and if this is what is necessary for the industry to make a profit, fine. But nobody actually likes paying more money, and we undoubtedly will see this again soon (starcraft 2?)

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:

Then just wait for the price to drop if it's that big of a deal. I can't believe everyone is complaining about a 10$ price increase.
It is an unwarranted $10 increase, they have no justification for it and I would be willing to bet my life on that. I'm not even that interested in the game, I'm just worried that it will still sell like mad and every other developer/publisher in the industry will jack up their own prices accordingly.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I'm likely only going to GF this anyways, especially if MP is the same as it was in the first one. Having a 4-year old PC somewhat discourages me from getting newer PC releases anyways, but it is rather strange that PC games are $10 cheaper typically. On the flip side though, you can't "rent" PC games and often you can't trade them in or resell them, not to mention more work is involved in getting the things just to run (updated hardware/drivers, etc.) I guess for $10 more you pay for added rights with the software and more assurance that the software will run at a desired level.

Internet Kraken

Mar 18, 2009
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:

It is an unwarranted $10 increase, they have no justification for it and I would be willing to bet my life on that. I'm not even that interested in the game, I'm just worried that it will still sell like mad and every other developer/publisher in the industry will jack up their own prices accordingly.
If the game sells like mad then that will tell game developers that they think good games are worth the price increase. So they probably will increase their prices accordingly.

And I wouldn't have a problem with that.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Well it is official, I will not be buying MW2 on day one. Instead I will buy either a copy down the road when it drops in price. Or I will buy a used game so Activision doesn't get one cent from me. So instead of every one pirating and shit, just wait a month and buy a used copy. Activision gets no money from used game sales.