Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
not a zaar said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
It's almost like Activision don't want to sell it.
It's almost like Activision understands the fundamentals of supply and demand.

Personally I won't buy it at that price, but I know that enough people will that its likly to cause a ripple effect into other PC releases.
Well I'm aware that it won't put that many people off, it will still put enough people off. Combined with the fact that they've jacked the price up in the UK as well, they're gonna lose enough sales to make most other publishers cringe.

At least they've now confirmed their status as 'the new EA'.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
*sigh* I guess I will only buy it for my sexbox then
Oh well
Sorry Timmy, guess you will be working in the acid mines for my games this year

EDIT: I don't suppose anyone knows the requirements for MW2?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
oliveira8 said:
Days after you going to get a news about how MW2 piracy on the PC is going crazy.
Which is stupid. Pirating the game just makes you a selfish and greedy asshole and that's what Activision will think. If you wait for the price to drop then that will send a bigger message to Activision.
Then there's no need for a price hike in the first place! It's just plain greed. No prestige Edition for PC, the game will cost more in the UK and now the PC version will be more expensive than regular PC games.

Denied.

Tom Goldman said:
it is only 10 dollars , and if this is what is necessary for the industry to make a profit, fine. But nobody actually likes paying more money, and we undoubtedly will see this again soon (starcraft 2?)
No matter how much Blizzard fan I'am raising the price of SC2 or even Diablo 3 is a trip to no buying.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Baby Tea said:
Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
No it's nto fair. Console games cost more because a small part of the costs goes to the console maker. That's why it costs more 10 euros/dollars/diamonds/whatever.
So what? If the price is the same for everyone, then it's fair. The fact that Activision will make a bit more money with the PC version doesn't change the fact that, now, everyone is paying the same price for the same game, when before they weren't (Which, incidentally, isn't fair).

Yeah, it's fair.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
It is an unwarranted $10 increase, they have no justification for it and I would be willing to bet my life on that. I'm not even that interested in the game, I'm just worried that it will still sell like mad and every other developer/publisher in the industry will jack up their own prices accordingly.
If the game sells like mad then that will tell game developers that they think good games are worth the price increase. So they probably will increase their prices accordingly.

And I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Your logic is flawed because you are expecting the price to increase only for the "good" games. The price goes up, quality stays the same.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Internet Kraken said:
oliveira8 said:
Days after you going to get a news about how MW2 piracy on the PC is going crazy.
Which is stupid. Pirating the game just makes you a selfish and greedy asshole and that's what Activision will think. If you wait for the price to drop then that will send a bigger message to Activision.
Then there's no need for a price hike in the first place! It's just plain greed. No prestige Edition for PC, the game will cost more in the UK and now the PC version will be more expensive than regular PC games.

Denied.
Okay, but that still doesn't justify piracy. Instead, you should just be patient and wait for the price to drop. Unless you have some need to play the game the second it's released, and if that's the case then you should just suck it up and pay for the game.

KSarty said:
Internet Kraken said:
KSarty said:
It is an unwarranted $10 increase, they have no justification for it and I would be willing to bet my life on that. I'm not even that interested in the game, I'm just worried that it will still sell like mad and every other developer/publisher in the industry will jack up their own prices accordingly.
If the game sells like mad then that will tell game developers that they think good games are worth the price increase. So they probably will increase their prices accordingly.

And I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Your logic is flawed because you are expecting the price to increase only for the "good" games. The price goes up, quality stays the same.
If people are bitching about paying 10 extra dollars for a quality game, then I doubt they would even consider paying 10 extra dollars for a crappy game. Developers would not get away with charging more for a pile of shit.

But even if they did, so what? They could charge 500$ for their games and I wouldn't care because I don't play crappy games. And if for some reason I did want to, I would just wait for the price to drop to what I think is a fair price.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Doesn't really have any effect on my choice. If it's worthwhile, I'll shell out the $60. Been doing that for my 360 fix for a long time now.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
I won't be buying it because I don't particularly enjoy Call of Duty, but this is yet another step in Activision's continued upward pressure on game price models. They'll push the prices as high as they are able across platforms until they stop seeing their profit go up. Which will lead to other game developers increasing their prices across platforms to match Activision's. So when you're paying 70 USD two years from now for all your console titles, remember you supported the PC price hike.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Baby Tea said:
Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
No it's nto fair. Console games cost more because a small part of the costs goes to the console maker. That's why it costs more 10 euros/dollars/diamonds/whatever.
So what? If the price is the same for everyone, then it's fair. The fact that Activision will make a bit more money with the PC version doesn't change the fact that, now, everyone is paying the same price for the same game, when before they weren't (Which, incidentally, isn't fair).

Yeah, it's fair.
Oh no it was fair.

You buy a game for your PS3/360 and the game will work with no questions added. I buy a PC game and depending on your PC you will have to:
1) Buy new hardware
2) Get new software
3) Suffer intrusive DRM
4) Your DRM doesn't like your new hardware/software so you back to point 1 and 2.

If you lucky you will be able to play a recent game with no problems. So yeah. Not fair. At all.

The platforms have nothing to do with each other and should be treated seperatly. One is a toy and the other is a machine designed for work which comes with a toy section.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
Okay, but that still doesn't justify piracy. Instead, you should just be patient and wait for the price to drop. Unless you have some need to play the game the second it's released, and if that's the case then you should just suck it up and pay for the game.
First of all, I want to say that I completely agree with the notion that Piracy is NOT the way to go. In fact, I believe it's the worst way to go in these situations, all it does is control the company out of fear at best or just reinforces the notion of stricter DRM policies at worst.

However, secondly, why can't we make some noise about this? When did people start defending the company for making money, they're big boys, especially Activision-Blizzard, they probably make enough money to buy Belgium and a hooker for every cubicle. What ever happened to "we're their customer, we shouldn't stand for this!" and the like?

Sure, we could wait for a minimal price drop in the next 3 years, but that does nothing. It tells Activision nothing other than another sale at 5% less cost. Boycotts, petitions, and whatnot however do send a message, and they are a much more legitimate way to express concern and whatever. I'm not suggesting a boycott or whatever, I personally don't care, but it's definitely better than "sucking it up" and being the company's whore. I don't think any of us want games to cost half of the console we buy when two of them is sufficient enough.

Still, it sadly doesn't change the fact that this game will probably be pirated to the moon, down to hell, up almost to heaven, and crash down to the bottom of the ocean. PC Gamers tend to be a demanding bunch...

EDIT: And reading some more of your posts, how do you know that one game is going to be shitty and one isn't? Once again, you're assuming that Modern Warfare 2 is going to be completely worth the price when for all we know it could be crappier than ever. Companies aren't going to think "Oh, are we making a crappy game so therefore price it less? Or a great game to price it more?", there's no way to tell if a game is going to be "good" before it gets out to the public.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Jumplion said:
Internet Kraken said:
First of all, I want to say that I completely agree with the notion that Piracy is NOT the way to go. In fact, I believe it's the worst way to go in these situations, all it does is control the company out of fear at best or just reinforces the notion of stricter DRM policies at worst.

However, secondly, why can't we make some noise about this? When did people start defending the company for making money, they're big boys, especially Activision-Blizzard, they probably make enough money to buy Belgium and a hooker for every cubicle. What ever happened to "we're their customer, we shouldn't stand for this!" and the like?

Sure, we could wait for a minimal price drop in the next 3 years, but that does nothing. It tells Activision nothing other than another sale at 5% less cost. Boycotts, petitions, and whatnot however do send a message, and they are a much more legitimate way to express concern and whatever. I'm not suggesting a boycott or whatever, I personally don't care, but it's definitely better than "sucking it up" and being the company's whore. I don't think any of us want games to cost half of the console we buy when two of them is sufficient enough.

Still, it sadly doesn't change the fact that this game will probably be pirated to the moon, down to hell, up almost to heaven, and crash down to the bottom of the ocean. PC Gamers tend to be a demanding bunch...
Then make a boycott, petition, or whatever you think will work. I honestly don't care, but maybe Activision will.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Blasted well straight.

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
To be honest I was very much interested in the game until Bobby boy went on an asshole spree. I think i'll pass, I'm not a die hard fan of the series and it's not something I'm going to miss.

On second thought I'll just buy it used from gamestop because I currently hate them less.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Oh no it was fair.

You buy a game for your PS3/360 and the game will work with no questions added. I buy a PC game and depending on your PC you will have to:
1) Buy new hardware
2) Get new software
3) Suffer intrusive DRM
4) Your DRM doesn't like your new hardware/software so you back to point 1 and 2.

If you lucky you will be able to play a recent game with no problems. So yeah. Not fair. At all.

The platforms have nothing to do with each other and should be treated seperatly. One is a toy and the other is a machine designed for work which comes with a toy section.
Save your PC elitism bullshit for someone who agrees with you.

All of those things have nothing to do with the fact that the game is the exact same game.
If you have a computer that can't run it, that's not the fault of publisher or developer.
Neither is you not having the right drivers or Direct X version (What I'm assuming you meant by 'software').

Plus PC games are mod-able, while console games aren't, so there is a huge perk that console owners don't get.

No no, paying the same price across the board is completely fair.
What the machine is use for primarily doesn't matter. We aren't talking about the machine, we're talking about the game and it's content, which is identical for all systems and platforms. Same price is fair. Get over it.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
When the customers starting whining at every opportunity over ridiculous things, THAT'S when that died.

Not to say that some of the complaints the customers make aren't legitimate: for instance, see the complaints that have popped up when Blizzard announced StarCraft II will not have LAN. That resulted in justified outrage from the majority of the community here.

But to be honest, there's no reason to be outraged at prices raising in the games market, because you CAN WAIT for the price to drop. It's not like these games are a limited-time offer after all: the only reason to ***** about how high the price is initially is because you CAN'T WAIT to play the game.

If you're going to get outraged by the way Activision does business, that means that all MMOs should draw your ridicule too: because they're the worst money-grubbing tactic in the world of gaming. There's no real justification for a 15$ a month subscription fee when games like Guild Wars have proven you can make one without a fee.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
I'd say pirate scum would have there hands all over this... but its activision, with there "premier" release. So I can only assume they will have paid god to smite all pirates. Or since its activision. The devil.