Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
scotth266 said:
But to be honest, there's no reason to be outraged at prices raising in the games market, because you CAN WAIT for the price to drop. It's not like these games are a limited-time offer after all: the only reason to ***** about how high the price is initially is because you CAN'T WAIT to play the game.
That's a problem though, as I can still find, I dunno, Heavenly Sword for $50 used after 3 years. Unless of course you use the internet on your PC, but then again, you can see the irony in there...

If you're going to get outraged by the way Activision does business, that means that all MMOs should draw your ridicule too: because they're the worst money-grubbing tactic in the world of gaming. There's no real justification for a 15$ a month subscription fee when games like Guild Wars have proven you can make one without a fee.
Quite true, you're completely right and we probably should. Though from what I know, Guild Wars has a "premium" pay-for-cool-stuff thing, don't they? Even the free MMOs need to make money one way or another, but at least those free MMOs don't force you to pay. But, eh, what evs.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
The fact that people are actually jumping to the defence of ActiSatan on this one is just shocking. Them telling you a price hike is fine, and you actually biting on that is the reason they are taking everyone for a ride. Oh well, I'm still buying this pre-owned. That's basically piracy with a legitimate copy.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
Baby Tea said:
Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
No it's nto fair. Console games cost more because a small part of the costs goes to the console maker. That's why it costs more 10 euros/dollars/diamonds/whatever.
So what? If the price is the same for everyone, then it's fair. The fact that Activision will make a bit more money with the PC version doesn't change the fact that, now, everyone is paying the same price for the same game, when before they weren't (Which, incidentally, isn't fair).

Yeah, it's fair.
I agree that it's fair. Mostly because I plan to come out with a console of my own in a few years and it will cost game developers a lot more money to produce games for it. Half of that cost will be because of my system itself and the other half will be the fact that I plan to charge exorbitant fees to the developers. The cost to those consumers will have to be in the neighborhood of $300.00 to make make it profitable. That means the cost to ALL other consumers will have to be increased to $300.00 in the interest of "fairness."

w00t!!!111 Misery loves company...and that fills my pockets!

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
I propose a boycott! On all games priced $59.99 ... after everyone buys MW2 that is.
How about after AC2? It's only a week later for the revolution to begin.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:
So what? If the price is the same for everyone, then it's fair. The fact that Activision will make a bit more money with the PC version doesn't change the fact that, now, everyone is paying the same price for the same game, when before they weren't (Which, incidentally, isn't fair).

Yeah, it's fair.
I agree that it's fair. Mostly because I plan to come out with a console of my own in a few years and it will cost game developers a lot more money to produce games for it. The cost to consumers will have to be in the neighborhood of $300.00 to make up for it. That means the cost to ALL other consumers will have to be increased to $300.00 in the interest of "fairness."

w00t!!!111
Nice try.
Both the PS3 and the 360 are established consoles, both with a massive fanbase.
The two of them together make up the majority of people who will buy this game.
It costs $59.99 on them? It costs $59.99 for everyone.

The PC crowd doesn't 'deserve' a lower price. They're just pissed that the joyride is over.
And they can get over it.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Essentially because they don't have to pay any of the revenue to a specific console maker. A large portion of game profit always goes to Sony, or nintendo, or microsoft. But that's not needed for a PC game.

So They will be making more off it than the console version, even if we don't pay more.

But then, this could make PC game prices soar. I honestly hope now that MW2 gets piss poor OC sales.
This is true, but there is a catch to it.

PC games require a LOT more compatibility testing. If you make a 360 title, you just need some 360 debug and retail kits to do bug testing on, but with PC, you need a farm of computers running various different hardware loadouts. This ends up costing a LOT of money, and with the rate of tech advancement, you have to keep sinking money into it whereas an xbox will always be an xbox. Honestly, I'm not surprised the price has gone up. Do I think this is the reason: no. I know good and well it is because they want to increase their profit margin, but there are expenses that only relate to PC just like there are console only expenses as well.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
newguy77 said:
NeedAUserName said:
I propose a boycott! On all games priced $59.99 ... after everyone buys MW2 that is.
How about after AC2? It's only a week later for the revolution to begin.
But then theres Brutal Legend, Borderlands, RAGE, and so many more... how about just January 1st 2011, so no games have been announced.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Xombee said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
The fact that people are actually jumping to the defence of ActiSatan on this one is just shocking. Them telling you a price hike is fine, and you actually biting on that is the reason they are taking everyone for a ride. Oh well, I'm still buying this pre-owned. That's basically piracy with a legitimate copy.
God forbid they run a business right?
You've got the right idea. :D

I'm not trying to say price hiking is bad business when the demand is high, I just don't expect consumers to be agreeing with this when they are the ones buying the game. No one should be talking about this from a business perspective, because from that perspective it's genius. But from a consumer perspective? No, you shouldn't be trying to defend them at all.

Apr 28, 2008
Fuck Activision, I am not buying this game for the PC now.

And I'm not pissed because I have to pay $60 for a PC game, I'm pissed because I have to give $10 more dollars to Activision.

Smack-Ferret

Jul 14, 2009
Yay for purchasing on my fat old PS3! Woohoo!

But on a serious note Activision is really being a greedy ass.

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:

Yeah, it's fair.
I agree that it's fair. Mostly because I plan to come out with a console of my own in a few years and it will cost game developers a lot more money to produce games for it. The cost to consumers will have to be in the neighborhood of $300.00 to make up for it. That means the cost to ALL other consumers will have to be increased to $300.00 in the interest of "fairness."

w00t!!!111
Nice try.
Both the PS3 and the 360 are established consoles, both with a massive fanbase.
The two of them together make up the majority of people who will buy this game.
It costs $59.99 on them? It costs $59.99 for everyone.

The PC crowd doesn't 'deserve' a lower price. They're just pissed that the joyride is over.
And they can get over it.
You seem to have neglected the point of the post.

In case you missed it, the point is your "misery loves company" or "eye for an eye" approach to marketing is NOT fair to anyone but YOU. Everyone should pay the costs of production for thier product and the same profit markup. That's fair even when the end number is not identical.

If you want to play on a platform that is more expensive, then the productions costs go up and your end price goes up as a result. It's fair because everyone is playing by the SAME RULES of the SAME GAME even though the score is different.

Your system REQUIRES an inherent degree of unfairness because we are given a different formula for price calculation than you. You want to pay costs + markup and us to pay costs + increased markup. That is NOT fair.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Hopefully this isn't the start of a trend. The cheaper pricing for PC games is usually 1 of my biggest reasons to go for the PC version of a game (if my PC can handle it, but if that's gone it's highly unlikely that I'll buy a lot of PC games in the future.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Baby Tea said:
scotth266 said:
Theres this thing called principles you see. And people with them, don't like people like Activision walk right through them.

Price rising, removing of LAN, working on sequels one year later, theres always a reason.

Aparantly console players have no principles cause last time I saw most PS3/360 games here were priced under 74 euros. Thats 100 american dollares! 74 Euros is a shitload of money. I can eat lunch and dinner in a resturante all week with 74 Euros. I can go to the cinema every day for a week with 74 euros.

There is a good reason why I don't play console games. The prices come right from Satan's ass.
I don't have my parents to buy me games, or a paycheck with seven 0's to the right. And there is many good reasons why PC games are cheaper.

1) The machine to run costs twice as much a console.
2) There is no extra cost to the PC manufacter cause there isn't one. There's no Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft.
3) There's piracy unchecked and running wild. You would think that making games cheaper you would cut down on some piracy.

Letting prices go up is never a good thing, no matter what it is. A game, a movie ticket, bread, whatever it's never a good thing. And if you let them do it, you deserved to pay more.

So when you say that the game will cheaper in years, you letting them get away with it, and when it gets cheaper, it's still 10 more than it should be.

@scotth266: Obvious you never played a MMO for long or compared Guild Wars with World of Warcraft. The difference is that with a subscription fee you paying for maintenance of the servers, costumer support and more content. The content that WoW got through patches is the equivelant of two Guild War's expansions(Which is the way that GW adds more content. They add stuff through patches too, but never in the size of a WoW patch.)

So pirate, boycott, don't buy or trow rocks at Kotick's car whatever you do. Don't support the rising of prices.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
kawligia said:
In case you missed it, the point is your "misery loves company" or "eye for an eye" approach to marketing is NOT fair to anyone but YOU. Everyone should pay the costs of production for thier product and the same profit markup. That's fair even when the end number is not identical.

If you want to play on a platform that is more expensive, then the productions costs go up and your end price goes up as a result. It's fair because everyone is playing by the SAME RULES of the SAME GAME even though the score is different.

Your system REQUIRES an inherent degree of unfairness because we are given a different formula for price calculation than you. You want to pay costs + markup and us to pay costs + increased markup. That is NOT fair.
Well then how about all the patching required for PC games? All the testing on difference machines with different cards to accommodate the myriad of combinations for PCs? How about the tech support staff that have to be there to listen to the PC gamers calling and emailing and posting their problems because they have a slightly different set up than the guy before them?

Naah, I'd say cost is pretty much even across the board.
It's fair.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
An impossible solution is that every single gamer in the world doesn't buy MW2, let's see how FAST the price drops THEN! Working together, tried and true method. Sadly no-one uses it anymore.

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
I just read this article after reading this whole thing. Check it out.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35485/US-Modern-Warfare-2-gets-PC-rice-hike

Got a Wal-Mart near you? I think everything will be fine. :)