Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
Quite true, you're completely right and we probably should. Though from what I know, Guild Wars has a "premium" pay-for-cool-stuff thing, don't they? Even the free MMOs need to make money one way or another, but at least those free MMOs don't force you to pay. But, eh, what evs.
I believe what GW does is micro-transactions: you can get extra goodies for money, but they're not really required to enjoy the game/be good at it. It's more like paying for things such as renaming, server transfers, and the like: things normal MMOs also charge you for.

As far as Heavenly Sword goes, that's the exception, not the rule. It's only when games get older that they tend to get that high/higher in price due to rarity (see: ICO. I mean, goddamn...)

I can't help but side with Baby Tea on this one: the PC gamers are just ticked that they're being brought into the pricing scheme that the rest of the industry has been following for quite some time now. And I've been playing NOTHING but games on my PC for the last three months solid, so if anyone should be willing to ***** about this, it should be me.

People are reacting as if they demand INSTANT GRATIFICATION, as if the industry should price things like THEY WANT IT, not as the laws of business demand. And the laws of business demand that you attempt to make profit whenever reasonable. This is reasonable.

If you want the game at a lower price, wait. I have had enough patience to wait until whole CONSOLE GENERATIONS have passed to get the games involved: other people can suck it up and wait a month for the price to drop ten dollars/euros/insert currency here.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Yaaarrr! Me other mateys will probably steal thy booty. (I don't support them).

Although, I'm not very interested in Modern warfare anyway.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:
In case you missed it, the point is your "misery loves company" or "eye for an eye" approach to marketing is NOT fair to anyone but YOU. Everyone should pay the costs of production for thier product and the same profit markup. That's fair even when the end number is not identical.

If you want to play on a platform that is more expensive, then the productions costs go up and your end price goes up as a result. It's fair because everyone is playing by the SAME RULES of the SAME GAME even though the score is different.

Your system REQUIRES an inherent degree of unfairness because we are given a different formula for price calculation than you. You want to pay costs + markup and us to pay costs + increased markup. That is NOT fair.
Well then how about all the patching required for PC games? All the testing on difference machines with different cards to accommodate the myriad of combinations for PCs? How about the tech support staff that have to be there to listen to the PC gamers calling and emailing and posting their problems because they have a slightly different set up than the guy before them?

Naah, I'd say cost is pretty much even across the board.
It's fair.
If cost was even across the board, then there never would have been a difference in the prices to begin with.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
Oh well, shit happens. I'm getting it for the PS3 though, I want Call of Duty 1.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
So much gasping over $10? Hell I am a PC gamer and if Activision can deliver on making this game great then I'll gladly pay $60. It's not that big of a deal and I don't get why its causing a small commotion.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
NeedAUserName said:
newguy77 said:
NeedAUserName said:
I propose a boycott! On all games priced $59.99 ... after everyone buys MW2 that is.
How about after AC2? It's only a week later for the revolution to begin.
But then theres Brutal Legend, Borderlands, RAGE, and so many more... how about just January 1st 2011, so no games have been announced.
How about this... unless there are any totally awesome games that we want, we don't buy any video games and we convince others to do the same?

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:
In case you missed it, the point is your "misery loves company" or "eye for an eye" approach to marketing is NOT fair to anyone but YOU. Everyone should pay the costs of production for thier product and the same profit markup. That's fair even when the end number is not identical.

If you want to play on a platform that is more expensive, then the productions costs go up and your end price goes up as a result. It's fair because everyone is playing by the SAME RULES of the SAME GAME even though the score is different.

Your system REQUIRES an inherent degree of unfairness because we are given a different formula for price calculation than you. You want to pay costs + markup and us to pay costs + increased markup. That is NOT fair.
Well then how about all the patching required for PC games? All the testing on difference machines with different cards to accommodate the myriad of combinations for PCs? How about the tech support staff that have to be there to listen to the PC gamers calling and emailing and posting their problems because they have a slightly different set up than the guy before them?

It's fair.
The problem is, we KNOW that's not true. The REASON for the original price difference is increased production costs.

The fact that production costs on PC are STILL less than consoles AFTER all the stuff you mentioned should tell you something.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
@scotth266: Obvious you never played a MMO for long or compared Guild Wars with World of Warcraft. The difference is that with a subscription fee you paying for maintenance of the servers, costumer support and more content. The content that WoW got through patches is the equivelant of two Guild War's expansions(Which is the way that GW adds more content. They add stuff through patches too, but never in the size of a WoW patch.)

So pirate, boycott, don't buy or trow rocks at Kotick's car whatever you do. Don't support the rising of prices.
Your argument holds no truck for one reason and one reason alone: the number of purchases involved. WoW has a RIDICULOUS number of people who have bought the game, LET ALONE the subscription fees involved. Guild Wars? I doubt they have half that.

Also, if people are willing to pay 70-something Euros for games, that's what the companies will price the games at. Companies operate on the basis of attaining profits: the highest price they can make, with people still buying their product, is the price they will set. Like I've said before: the only solution is to wait for the prices of stuff to drop.

Making the games cheap doesn't cut piracy, by the way. If nothing else did, World of Goo proved that. The game's only 20 bones, and it had a 90% piracy rate a while back. So much for the line of thought that good pricing = less piracy.

Sep 9, 2007
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:

It's fair.
The problem is, we KNOW that's not true. The REASON for the original price difference is increased production costs.

The fact that production costs on PC are STILL less than consoles AFTER all the stuff you mentioned should tell you something.
While knowing is half the battle, I highly doubt that will stop any of the bleating.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
Just don't buy the game right when it comes out, and wait for a price drop if you are really shitting your pants over the price hike. I don't like it, but I haven't bought a new game the month it came out in over 2 years. It's just a waste of money to buy a game when it comes out. You will still be getting the same game, you just gotta wait a bit.

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
Or you could just go to Wal-Mart and buy it for the regular price of $48.50.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

Sep 9, 2007
shaboinkin said:
Just don't buy the game right when it comes out, and wait for a price drop if you are really shitting your pants over the price hike. I don't like it, but I haven't bought a new game the month it came out in over 2 years. It's just a waste of money to buy a game when it comes out. You will still be getting the same game, you just gotta wait a bit.
Also by that time, the online code is generally better balanced and bug free(ish).

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
Yeah...this double post won't go away. But anyway. Activision has sucked for a while. Doesn't anyone recall that DLC debacle where NVidia had to come in and "sponsor" the PC community so we could get new maps because Activision SUCKS BALLS and left us out in the cold?

Man, we were only the community that made CoD one of the most popular games ever, why the hell would they show their original fanbase any kind of love?

It's not really surprising that this company, that thinks it owns the PC market, would up their prices. Let's just hope good devs don't follow suit.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:
@scotth266: Obvious you never played a MMO for long or compared Guild Wars with World of Warcraft. The difference is that with a subscription fee you paying for maintenance of the servers, costumer support and more content. The content that WoW got through patches is the equivelant of two Guild War's expansions(Which is the way that GW adds more content. They add stuff through patches too, but never in the size of a WoW patch.)

So pirate, boycott, don't buy or trow rocks at Kotick's car whatever you do. Don't support the rising of prices.
Your argument holds no truck for one reason and one reason alone: the number of purchases involved. WoW has a RIDICULOUS number of people who have bought the game, LET ALONE the subscription fees involved. Guild Wars? I doubt they have half that.

Also, if people are willing to pay 70-something Euros for games, that's what the companies will price the games at. Companies operate on the basis of attaining profits: the highest price they can make, with people still buying their product, is the price they will set. Like I've said before: the only solution is to wait for the prices of stuff to drop.

Making the games cheap doesn't cut piracy, by the way. If nothing else did, World of Goo proved that. The game's only 20 bones, and it had a 90% piracy rate a while back. So much for the line of thought that good pricing = less piracy.
Actually Guild Wars has around half the population WoW has.

But anyway. WoW didn't always have 11 million subscribers. Believe it or not, thats actually recent. Still Guild Wars content is half of WoW content. And this was before WoW having half of it's current subscribers.

And World of Goo is actually overpriced for what it is. World of Goo costs 20 Euros on STEAM, most indie games cost much less.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.
I think thats what you call a Monopaly my friend

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
Hmm...For me this works effectively like if they delayed the release. I wait a bit more before I get the game and pay what I normally would have paid. Not much to get all worked up over. After all games get delayed all the time...

BTW: Didn't Valve do some research on this topic via Steam a while ago? I seem to remember something about lower prices equaling both increased sales and revenue... If that's correct this will be a stupid move.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.
I think thats what you call a Monopaly my friend

:O ?