Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

TheJuqhusim

May 20, 2009
Quick Ben said:
BTW: Didn't Valve do some research on this topic via Steam a while ago? I seem to remember something about lower prices equaling both increased sales and[i/] revenue... If that's correct this will be a stupid move.

That's a basic rule of economics...actually. They coined a term for it, called "Reaganomics."

That's beside the point. But when taxes are at a lower point, MORE people are willing and able to pay them. This causes income and revenue to be far higher. However, as the tax prices go up, and up, less and less people are willing to pay taxes. If you go to a point of 100% taxation, there is no income, because nobody has any incentive to work.

Much like this picture.

It's not much, but a $10 increase will probably show a large decrease in sales on the PC. It's improbable that these feelings of abstaining or boycotting are isolated. I'm sure hundreds of thousands will not want to buy the game for a while. Bad marketing move by Activision.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh yay! An Activision tax.

Something tells me I'm going to be the one person who doesn't buy MW 2 day one because of all this bullshit.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.
I think thats what you call a Monopaly my friend

:O ?
Oi, do you know what a monopoly is, it is when there is one single company in a buisness so whatever they make you are forced to buy no matter how much it costs or how shity it is.

Now Activision may not be a monopoly but there games pretty much are since the Call Of Duty franchise is baought by most everyone. So they can do whatever they want with the prices and they will still make a good profit with it.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:
Supreme Unleaded said:
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.
I think thats what you call a Monopaly my friend

:O ?
Oi, do you know what a monopoly is, it is when there is one single company in a buisness so whatever they make you are forced to buy no matter how much it costs or how shity it is.

Now Activision may not be a monopoly but there games pretty much are since the Call Of Duty franchise is baought by most everyone. So they can do whatever they want with the prices and they will still make a good profit with it.
Call of Duty isn't bought by that many people. So no. What Activision is doing is not a monopoly. It's just a dick move.

And they won't make a good profit from the PC version.

Tyrant T100

Aug 19, 2009
If I translate that $60 into UK currency that will be roughly £45 or so. Well I'll just see if I have the money at the time I guess.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Nice job encouraging piracy for the PC, Activision. If you think PC gamers are going to happily pay $10 more than what they are used to, your going to be in for a rude surprise. I'm in no hurry to get MW2. I'll just wait for a Steam sale or something.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
and the chances of me buying this game continue to decrease...ahhh raising prices in a recession, it makes my wallet make the creaky door sound on those increasingly rare times i open it

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
I'm totaly willing to pay more for modwar2, after all activision has split with tri-arch on COD so they might be having money troubles, so it's understandable.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
So that'll be like, what, $80CAD or so after taxes?

Well looks like I just saved some money. I'm not supporting this price hike, hell, I wouldn't even if I had the cash to spend.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Rhayn said:
I will laugh if this game turns out to be a complete flop. In fact, I think I'll laugh so much I won't be standing up a few days.

Not that it's going to happen, but at least I can hope.
A "short" campaign mode and a closed in-house Multiplayer beta don't bode well. Just don't be a mug and pre-order it, please...

Sh0ckFyre

Jun 27, 2009
Activision have finally realized that MW2 will be a hot-selling piece of gold, and want to get as much money as humanly possible.

Heil Hitler!

odisious15

Nov 14, 2007
While I'm not going to be buying MW2 when it releases anyways the problem with the price hiking is that while development costs go up, game content goes down. People saying just wait seem to be missing the fact that even on the PC the cost of MW1 has only just dropped down to $39.99 from it's original $49.99; and how long has the game been out ?

The other point to be made is when is enough enough PS1 games ran $39.99, PS2 & XBOX games ran $49.99, and now PS3 & 360 games run $59.99. From the tone of most posters saying the PC gamers or just a bunch of whiners I have to ask how much are you willing to pay for future generations of console games ? Suppose that we're living in the same economic climate two generations from now; would you be willing to pay $69.99 or $79.99 for a game that has a campaign that only run 6-8 hours ? I especially have to wonder what European gamers would think about that since they already pay nearly $100 for games.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
It's easy to accuse Activision of simply squeezing more profit out of us, but do remember that big titles are costing more to produce, and this one certainly must have cost quite a bit more with aims of higher quality, and hiring Holywood voice actors.
It's probably not so unreasonable that these costs are reflected in a higher price for the game in the end.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
Cole257 said:
This is dumb, it's only 10 extra bucks. Man up, pay it, move on. It's that simple.
lol the only reason its dumb is because activision us un-justifiably jacking up pc prices. with consoles they have to pay the sony tax, or the microsoft tax because sony and microsoft sell thier consoles at a loss. pc gamers have to pay full price for thier machines (yes, console gamers can say "ha! suckers!" at this but there is alot of reasons we pc gamers choose pc's over consoles) so activision is just taking a much greater profit over this. now you may say "hey, they will use that profit to make more new games" but fact of the matter is they will make MORE money if they keep prices the way they are or even better drop them.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/valve-are-games-too-expensive

fact is the higher they raise prices the more people will choose to pirate them instead. me? im not going to pirate it, im gonna wait till it drops to 30-40 dollars and buy modern warfare 1 when number 2 comes out.

as for modding tools being available and that justifies the cost:
1. Not all games come with mod tools
2. It takes little effort to pack their tools with the game
3. Modding comes from the gamer, not from the games creator, they shouldnt get money from someone elses work.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
I was going to buy it on Xbox anyway. I'm most pissed about Activision being such a pile of dicks lately because of their merger with Blizzard, which is usually anything BUT a pile of dicks. Methinks this spells doom for Blizzard's way of actually giving a shit about their customers.

Although YES, they do have a business to run and money to make, $50 PC titles have been selling perfectly well, and as such this can't be anything but grabbing for extra profit.

Additionally, it may have an effect on what people begin charging for their other PC titles, but hopefully most companies will not feel the need to grub for another $10 of profit when they've been doing fine.

EDIT: Or, since I'm a Californian, I bet Fry's will be selling it $10 off on day one. If you're on the US West Coast and you've never been to one of these electronics superstores, get ye there, all the time. They are awesome.

AnAnemicTurtle

Aug 17, 2009
Aw well, I'm not very excited about this anyway. I enjoyed COD4, but not so much that I would want to play something similar again. If people buy games at these prices, they'll keep pricing them this way.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
So now US citzens will have to pay for the game as much as we Europeans do normally?
Woo-fucking-dipedy-doo.

I seriously don't see the rage behind this.