Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
D_987 said:
I really don't see why PC games are cheaper anyway, considering they get mod tools and more updates than console players...
So what, because console network distributors are greedy and consoles are more limited then PC gamers should have to pay the premium?!

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
As explained earlier in this thread, it costs more to release games on consoles rather than PC because part of the profits go to the console manufacturer. PC developers don't have that problem, so the price didn't go up.
And PC games, as I have stated, have features that allow them to rise above their console counterparts. At least you now know that the 10$ extra is going to the developer of the game rather than to the console owners.
That $10 extra is going to the higher ups at activision, will never get anywhere near IW.

Aug 18, 2009
The only sequels I've ever bought, while having bought the first game, are Jak 2 & 3... And Final Fantasy X-2, but that game was so vastly different from Final Fantasy X; I don't really consider it a sequel.[/quote]

*Threw up a little at the mention FFX-2*

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
This is not as true for me but I'm sure it is for some. This is just a story as far as I go.

Game Y ran somewhat smoothly on my PC. I couldn't run it smoothly on max so I settled on medium. Now with Game X's increase on the minimum requirements I need to buy new computer parts just to play this game on low. So now a computer game that cost you $60 on your console will end up costing me more than $200.

This marks the end of the story.

I always figured that the reason PC games were cheaper was because the cost of the "console" was higher and needed to be upgraded for games to run on it.

If tomorrow Activision announced that to run the game on consoles you HAD to buy a certain $50 accessory, no way around it, console owners would lose their minds. And this is only $50, not the 100's a PC gamer has to shell out to play modern games smoothly. 5 games at $50 made up for this. Granted the cost of a PC game never actually equaled the cost of a console game when you include the console, you would have had to buy hundreds of games to make up that cost, but to me that is what always made them equals at $50.

Add on to that what was mentioned earlier about Activision making roughly $10 more per game on PCs than consoles even before the hike, and you see that PC users are already kind of fucked over, and now they want to fuck us over more.

This basically screams to us to move to consoles, not that they haven't already (Online multiplayer being one reason for some games. I'm looking at you Ghostbusters.). While I'm not against consoles, I do love my 360, I just prefer my games on PC when I can.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Using my magical mind powers, I looking to the future.

"90% piracy rates on MW2. Activision blames greedy PC gamers."

And since we in the UK are already paying a metric fuckload for the game as it is...

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Joeshie said:
Nice job encouraging piracy for the PC, Activision. If you think PC gamers are going to happily pay $10 more than what they are used to, your going to be in for a rude surprise. I'm in no hurry to get MW2. I'll just wait for a Steam sale or something.
This.

It went from a first day thing, to a whenever Steam (or some other store) puts it on sale thing.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
Why are people defending Activision? It is a dick movie to squeeze money out of us, simple as that. First they fucked over the UK with raising the price to 90$ which is fucking nuts. Now only 3 months away from launch they announce that the PC is going to be 60$ with no option for special edition. It's not because of production costs or making the market fair. If they announced this in early production then they could of gotten away with it with less backlash. We won't see that 10$ of improvement on our game, it's just to make that Activision president a little bit richer. I say we all buy used copies so they don't get any money from us and we can still enjoy the game.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
obisean said:
If tomorrow Activision announced that to run the game on consoles you HAD to buy a certain $50 accessory, no way around it, console owners would lose their minds.
I fail to see people losing their minds over Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and those come with 60-80$ accessories.

People keep mentioning that they need to upgrade their rigs for tons of money to play PC games: but in reality, you would need to upgrade your rig anyway to do all sorts of other stuff. Besides, if you have said tons of money to blow on upgrading your rig, you likely have the extra 10$ that the poor console gamers fork up for their games all the time.

If not, just limit when you buy games, like I've said above.

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
I'm buying it for PC at full price because I played the first Modern Warfare and found it to be one of the best games released in quite a while. I can recognize good game design, and if MW2 continues where its predecessor left off, I think it'll be worth the money.

ffxfriek

Apr 3, 2008
after this game for ps3 im DONE with activision. no more guitar hero, i cant live in a world where my beloved video game company is nickle and diming you LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

BonerMacTittyPants

Aug 3, 2009
Greed will be the their downfall.

I can see the headlines "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 the most pirated game since Spore".
MW 1's multi made it worth every penny, but I think TF2 will keep me happy untill it's price drops. A lot.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
i think they might be doing this because either:
a) Activision hates PC gamers
b) MW2 costed more to make than expected and are in debt and needed a way to even out
c) all the extra profit will go to MW3?

b and c look like the obvious answers but who knows, plus PC gamers have been spoiled with mods, do that on a console and you get your account banned

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm waiting for game companies to catch on to Valves ideas, having big sales, having free play weekends, but with moves like this being pulled? They can keep their shitty game, I don't care if it's amazing, I'm not spending even more money on games.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Alot of people are just going to grumble about it as they empty their wallets; there will be a constant mental battle against themselves going "SCREW THEM THEY CAN'T JUST CHANGE THE PRICE" and "Yaaaaayy Modern Warfare 2. Well, I'm off to prestige... Call me in 2 weeks thats usually when I empty the bed pan and throw all the pizza boxes out the windows." Sooooo... its not really going to cgange anything really theres going to be more bitching until it comes out.

Keivz

Dec 4, 2008
The game is $49 at Walmart + a $10 gift card making it effectively $39 new.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

This article and thread are now moot. :p

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Normally I feel bad for certain developers when they're games suffer from severe piracy. But in this case, it's going to be karmic retribution.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
im going for the ps3 version anyway, because my pc wont be able to handle it (it cant handle Dawn of War 2).