Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I think their getting a little big in the head about how anticipated their game is.

I'm not going to do the math, but if they only turn away 1 of 6 people that were going to buy the game with the price hike they'll still make about the same amount right?

I guess their just hoping to get something like 1 of 7, hoping for fans that show the most love and not how many fans they have total. I see this type of thing in contests where you can vote for your team more than once, like if one person votes three times and another party has two voters that voted once.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
D_987 said:
I really don't see why PC games are cheaper anyway, considering they get mod tools and more updates than console players...
Because PC developers don't have to pay license fee's to the console manufacturers.

Najarana

Aug 16, 2008
Baby Tea said:
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?
No no, the game doesn't cost more, now it costs the same at it's console counter-parts, whereas before it was cheaper on PC. Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Because you can't sell a used pcgame seeing as the cd-key will prevent people from playing online. No such restriction on a console game.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
*Jumps on Boycott bandwagon*

Normally I don't support piracy, but Activision can kiss my ass if they think that I'm going to support them on this.

Edit:
Keivz said:
The game is $49 at Walmart + a $10 gift card making it effectively $39 new.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

This article and thread are now moot. :p
At least walmart has the right idea (Who could have guessed that not pissing off your customers might work in your favor?).

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
PC Games are cheaper because you get less ownership over the product. You cannot sell your PC game. The fact that consoles can't really do mods is purely software based - there's nothing in their hardware that would prevent mods (apart from perhaps being too effin' weak).

Activision has started to get more and more cocky, trying to increase profits and releasing sequel after sequel. It's gonna slap them in the face eventually with half the sales. I for one won't give Activision a single dime of my cash. All I would be doing is feed Kotick's incredible lust for more cash. I prefer to give my money to the developers, not the new EA Games.

If this is the way Activision is gonna treat PC Gamers, then they go fuck themselves. If pirates eat them alive and they pull out of the PC market, then good riddance. I'm not paying 60 bucks for a PC Game short of it being pure orgasm.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Maybe $60 for you. In Poland all our games are 250 PLN, that's about $70. So welcome to our world, where prices are higher than you'd want them to be.
Sadly it is more like $80-85, I am moving to Poland in a month and I have been watching the exchange rate which ranges from 3.0-3.5; sadly I doubt I will be buying many games in the next few years.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Baby Tea said:
vivaldiscool said:
Baby Tea said:
Some call it money grubbing, but I call it a fair move. Why should the PC version be cheaper if it's the same game?
Essentially because they don't have to pay any of the revenue to a specific console maker. A large portion of game profit always goes to Sony, or nintendo, or microsoft. But that's not needed for a PC game.

So They will be making more off it than the console version, even if we don't pay more.

But then, this could make PC game prices soar. I honestly hope now that MW2 gets piss poor OC sales.
I still say that makes it fair.
Now the prices are even across the board. The fact that they may get more money from it doesn't deter from the fact that console owners have been paying more for games. Now it's even, which is only fair for everyone.
Not really; the reason that console prices are higher is that you're subsidising the losses of the console manufacturer on the hardware, which PC gamers don't do, as they have to buy their equipment out right. Essentially console gamers pay more for games because they pay less for their hardware.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ill probably get it at some point but not till it gets cheaper or used but since Im a pc gamer chances are Ill end up getting it with a new vid card or something

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
As I'm a fairly die hard supporter of Consumer Rights, I'm gonna put a big ol' Fuck You sign up for this. I'll be buying my copy second hand from CeX, because I at least know those guys aren't going to rip me off.

You hear that Activision? That's loyalty to a company who has been good to me. Something you're not doing.

Maybe if they were a little less douchey about the whole thing (Lol no Prestige Edition for the PC, also lol Price Hike, also lol UK players are going to pay more!) I'd actually have some inclination to still buy it first hand as a way of showing my support.

But I don't.

I'll either completely give this a miss or buy it second hand. I'll be damned if Activision is getting my money after this move.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
D_987 said:
I really don't see why PC games are cheaper anyway, considering they get mod tools and more updates than console players...
Because console manufacturers like Microsoft and Sony get a cut of the sales, thus the prices are higher for console players. How else do you propose they make up for the losses taken by simply selling their console?

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Baby Tea said:
kawligia said:
Baby Tea said:
So what? If the price is the same for everyone, then it's fair. The fact that Activision will make a bit more money with the PC version doesn't change the fact that, now, everyone is paying the same price for the same game, when before they weren't (Which, incidentally, isn't fair).

Yeah, it's fair.
I agree that it's fair. Mostly because I plan to come out with a console of my own in a few years and it will cost game developers a lot more money to produce games for it. The cost to consumers will have to be in the neighborhood of $300.00 to make up for it. That means the cost to ALL other consumers will have to be increased to $300.00 in the interest of "fairness."

w00t!!!111
Nice try.
Both the PS3 and the 360 are established consoles, both with a massive fanbase.
The two of them together make up the majority of people who will buy this game.
It costs $59.99 on them? It costs $59.99 for everyone.

The PC crowd doesn't 'deserve' a lower price. They're just pissed that the joyride is over.
And they can get over it.
Ahhhh, finally, somebody who says it before me.

Anywho, did the PC gamers really think they were safe from Activision's rampage?

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
scotth266 said:
KSarty said:
As explained earlier in this thread, it costs more to release games on consoles rather than PC because part of the profits go to the console manufacturer. PC developers don't have that problem, so the price didn't go up.
And PC games, as I have stated, have features that allow them to rise above their console counterparts. At least you now know that the 10$ extra is going to the developer of the game rather than to the console owners.
Not only that, but mod tools tend to come from a third party source, someone that more than likely isn't even affiliated with Activision. Case in point is Oblivion and Fallout 3, people were modding Oblivion before Bethesda put out an actual modding tool, and with Fallout 3 people were modding with their old Oblivion tool kits until Bethesda put out a full set for Fallout. Why would computer players pay more for something that Activision probably won't even be putting out? I can see people modifying the old MW1 modding toolkit to be used on MW2 before Activision even gets around to thinking about giving out "official" modding tools, and even with that, those bastards will try to get greedier again and make us pay to use the modding tool... I'd like one of the big box game companies to actually think about the consumer once and a while for a change.

But those features are rarely released with the game except maybe the map editor, they don't come packaged with the game files themselves. Often times it takes several months for the mod tools to be released. Those extra features you refer to don't come on the disc, so why is the cost of the disc going up? That is like charging extra for the initial game because there will be some dlc for it eventually that most people won't even use.

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
Keivz said:
The game is $49 at Walmart + a $10 gift card making it effectively $39 new.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11332037

This article and thread are now moot. :p
Thanks Walmart.... Always low prices, always screw the wholesaler, but in this case I'm actually not pissed off. /thumbsup

Aedrial

Jun 24, 2009
D_987 said:
PC Games are cheaper because to play them you require a better kit and there's always the fact that if it's too expensive, it will get hugely pirated... About the mod tools, thats the companies excuse for releasing a broken game and hoping the gaming community will fix it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Activision are really going to screw themselves over if they carry on like this, they've already pissed people off.

I wander how Infinity Ward about them messing so much with the game? IW just wants the game, Activision wants all this crappy merchandise. If the game was going to set a record number of sales, they could of left the price as it was and still kept people happy.