Modern Warfare 2 PC Pricier Than Expected

Ph0t0n1c Ph34r

Feb 25, 2009
Oh for fucks sake! So now PC gamers have to pay the same price as everyone else, the world going to end. I've been playing $60 a game for years now. Besides half of PC gamers r gonna be getting it of a bit torrent anyway.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Amnestic said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.
Does it? The PC players are now paying the developers more than the console consumers, are they not?

I'll probably end up getting it on Xbox 360, cos
Controller > Keyboard & Mouse.
People need to get over the idea that PC=Mouse and Keyboard. It is almost shockingly easy to get a 360 controller hooked up to your PC, all the instructions are listed online with a 10 second google search of obvious keywords.

Crazy, I know, people have only been using different peripherals to play games for over two decades. It's not as if you're behind the time with your misinformed opinion or anything.

Oh wait.
Yes, but what is also true is:
Full support for peripheral > Bit support for peripheral.

You know, If I was as half as good as you at pressing enter and coming up with a needlessly snarky comment, this space would be just that.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
sneak_copter said:
Amnestic said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.
Does it? The PC players are now paying the developers more than the console consumers, are they not?

People need to get over the idea that PC=Mouse and Keyboard. It is almost shockingly easy to get a 360 controller hooked up to your PC, all the instructions are listed online with a 10 second google search of obvious keywords.

Crazy, I know, people have only been using different peripherals to play games for over two decades. It's not as if you're behind the time with your misinformed opinion or anything.

Oh wait.
Yes, but what is also true is:
Full support for peripheral > Bit support for peripheral.

You know, If I was as half as good as you at pressing enter and coming up with a needlessly snarky comment, this space would be just that.
It's not 'bit support'. Most Steam games these days come will full 360 controller support and the drivers are freely accessible from the Microsoft website. 360 Controllers are entirely supported for a number of games.

It's 'bit support' in that they're not supported for every game admittedly, but why would you want controller support for something like a Total War or C&C game anyway? :p

Also, what you did there. I see it.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
oliveira8 said:
So no Prestige special edition for PC gamers and the game costs more for PC to?

People shouldn't give a nickle to these assholes. Sad is that it's going to be one of the best selling games of the year and Activision will keep pulling shit like this.
I believe there was an article on this very site a while back that stated Activision's CEO was in favor of the highest game prices possible. Yeah, they don't deserve our money at all. No prestige edition, higher prices, and I'm willing to bet it will be a direct X360 port as well. Where's the good in that?

Note: When I complain about there being not prestige edition for the PC, I'm not suggesting anyone should be crazy enough to actually buy it. Although I must admit, those NVGs are kinda cool.

deadly.by.design

Jan 30, 2008
scotth266 said:
Why should PC gamers get games for 10 dollars cheaper than their console counterparts? It's not like the content of the game is different on the PC: in fact, the argument can be made that PC games are worth MORE due to modding tools.
Makes sense to me that console games cost more. A PC is not a strictly regulated platform, whereas each console is. It's my way or the highway on consoles, and there's likely cash flowing their way for the 'privilege' of having the game release on their system.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
The truth is, Activision can charge as much as they want, as long as people are willing to pay. And you know what? They will. They'll definitely pay for a sequel to a critically-acclaimed game.

I agree, prices suck. $50 was bad enough -- $60 is even worse.

On the one hand, you're getting a lot of entertainment for that price. A 20 hour campaign is $3/hour -- try spending $3/hour at a bar, movie theatre, or any other common form of entertainment. Heck, that's about the hourly cost of a movie rental.

On the other hand, $60 is a significant investment. With so many video games vying for our limited budgets, every $60 purchase requires serious thought. Besides, without demos, trials, or return policies (and in many cases, measures to prevent reselling), that $60 is a huge risk -- the game might be terrible and you might put it back on the shelf 2 hours later.

Video games are finding themselves in the same position as music albums -- too high of a cost for such a risky investment. Either the publishers need to provide mechanisms to help customers reduce the risk of their purchase (like demos and return policies) or they need to lower the price of the investment.

With neither option, piracy becomes all the more likely. Given a high demand, assume the customer will acquire it through whatever means necessary. The cost of the game is a barrier to acquiring it. With the barrier to piracy being low (a 1-day download, perhaps), the large difference means a lot of people resorting to piracy to get what they want. Lower the cost and piracy becomes less desirable.

You think big companies would have learned this by now, but instead they raise prices, invest the difference in DRM, and lobby for making copyright infringement a life sentence. What a waste.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
All I can say, Activison don't want the buisness. Thank god I found a reasonable preorder group.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Why is this game predicted to sell so well? Did the first one really do anything that merits the sequel being so deep throated?

I borrowed it from a friend and felt like he was cheated out of 15 dollars (he bought the original at full price and frankly I think it was overcharging).

I guess shiny shit doesn't impress me as much as the next guy.

ReverseEngineered said:
On the one hand, you're getting a lot of entertainment for that price. A 20 hour campaign is $3/hour -- try spending $3/hour at a bar, movie theatre, or any other common form of entertainment. Heck, that's about the hourly cost of a movie rental.
The Drive in here is 8 dollars (Now, it used to be 6 something) for two films.

At roughly 1.5 to 2 hours a film that's between 3 and 4 hours of entertainment for 8 bucks.

Sure that's 4 dollars, but if you go watch two long films you'll hit the 3 dollar mark or break under.

Plus they don't mind if you bring your own food here.

I'm more apt to spend 4 dollars a film and be disappointed than 60 dollars for a game that does absolutely nothing better than its competition. Marketing is gangster these days, I'm waiting for someone to remarket pong for 60 bucks and have it be 'critically acclaimed'.

Amnestic said:
It's not 'bit support'. Most Steam games these days come will full 360 controller support and the drivers are freely accessible from the Microsoft website. 360 Controllers are entirely supported for a number of games.

It's 'bit support' in that they're not supported for every game admittedly, but why would you want controller support for something like a Total War or C&C game anyway? :p

Also, what you did there. I see it.
I can't recall the last time a game I played on the PC with a 360 controller had less than full support.

Then again I can't recall a FPS after the N64 where I preferred a controller to a mouse and keyboard.

Controller is great for basically any genre outside of FPS. Once you hit that place its just a lot of work arounds to make it live able.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
HAH! Do they honestly think I'm going to pay sixty dollars for that? Fuck them! Pirate it! That's the answer!

Don't have enough money? Pirate it! Company's an asshole? Pirate it! Another Guitar Hero game milked only to please idiots and to further monopolize gaming under the mighty dollar? Pirate Pirate Pirate and ask questions later! Any other measures? Pirate Pirate Pirate PIRATE!

Because remember, the only way companies like Activision will ever get ANYTHING through their thick skulls is if we turn on our torrent clients and download their games. A lost customer is bad to any business, but MULTIPLE consumers pirating their game AT ONCE, and pirating the biggest game OF THIS YEAR mind you will fuck up Activision to extravagant proportions!

Or they could just... buy the console versions. =/

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
HAH! Do they honestly think I'm going to pay sixty dollars for that? Fuck them! Pirate it! That's the answer!

Don't have enough money? Pirate it! Company's an asshole? Pirate it! Another Guitar Hero game milked only to please idiots and to further monopolize gaming under the mighty dollar? Pirate Pirate Pirate and ask questions later! Any other measures? Pirate Pirate Pirate PIRATE!

Because remember, the only way companies like Activision will ever get ANYTHING through their thick skulls is if we turn on our torrent clients and download their games. A lost customer is bad to any business, but MULTIPLE consumers pirating their game AT ONCE, and pirating the biggest game OF THIS YEAR mind you will fuck up Activision to extravagant proportions!

Or they could just... buy the console versions. =/
Or you could buy it second hand so that the console publishers/developers get no money.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It'll be just like spore and sims 3, it'll be pirated to hell, and STILL sell through the roof proving that piracy is a scapegoat for these companies... which is a shame because I want EA, Ubisoft, and BlizzAcc to collapse

folks in the industry are also quick to tell you to screw off and don't buy it if a customer has an issue, but then turn around and cry that the industry is dying and we should take pity on them when people listen to them and DONT buy their game

http://insomnia.ac/commentary/pc_game_piracy/

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Fr331anc3r said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.

..... Shadowrun. Look it up. End of Story.
Okay, since i'd be forced to play it on my laptop:

Controller > Keyboard and Touchpad.

NOBODY CAN DISAGREE WITH ME.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Well that settles it, I'm not getting this on either PC or Console. It could be better than MW1 but still for that price, I'm passing.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
the console version will probably be $ 70 here in canada , the bastards but as for me i'll wait a bit to pick it up when released

Fr331anc3r

Nov 6, 2008
sneak_copter said:
Fr331anc3r said:
sneak_copter said:
So, That makes it fair.

..... Shadowrun. Look it up. End of Story.
Okay, since i'd be forced to play it on my laptop:

Controller > Keyboard and Touchpad.

NOBODY CAN DISAGREE WITH ME.
That's why it's DEAD on the XBox 360, because the Keyboard and Mouse killed the controller, the PC crowd so thoroughly trounced the XBox community, that the XBox community died, oh and the sudden change Keyboard + Touchpad, yeah, no one can disagree with you, but it isn't your original statement, therefore you conceded your point, all all of us that disagreed with you on your original statement.... WIN!

Nocola

Aug 10, 2009
Will the PC version of Modern Warfare 2 have multiplayer? The way it's worded on some sites seems to suggest that it won't. If that is the case, the PC version should be much cheaper considering how much of the game the multiplayer aspect is.