Modern Warfare 2 PS3 Leaderboards Hacked to Crap

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
12,070
0
0
Modern Warfare 2 PS3 Leaderboards Hacked to Crap



The multiplayer leaderboards for Modern Warfare 2 on the PlayStation Network are compromised, showing records that are impossible to achieve.

Activision and Infinity Ward have said nothing regarding how or if they plan to fix the decimated leaderboards on the Playstation Network for Modern Warfare 2. The rampant hacking of the PS3 leaderboards shows completely erroneous information such as time played numbering in the tens of thousands of days. It is unclear whether a complete wipe of the leaderboards is necessary, but, if so, that could be holding up the process as Sony and Activision scramble to find a solution that will piss off consumers the least.

The simple process by which this glitch is exploited is available online, and that's why the problem is so widespread. Even then, it seems that some hackers are becoming bored with hacking themselves to the top of the leaderboards and have begun glitching themselves [http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/modernwarfare2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-52571436&pid=951943] so that they appear last on the list with negative 12345 kills. I'm not sure how you can unkill people. Agh, my brain is starting to hurt.

And remember kids: Cheaty the Bear says, "Don't cheat, dick."

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=228963]

Permalink
 

Booze Zombie

New member
Dec 8, 2007
7,416
0
0
Aweswome, I guess the game isn't so "perfect" after all... though, after playing it, I already knew that.
 

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
11,940
0
0
Who wants to bet that this will be used as an example by Xbox-fanboys to show why the 360 is better?
 

Compatriot Block

New member
Jan 28, 2009
702
0
0
Greg Tito said:
And remember kids: Cheaty the Bear says, "Don't cheat, dick."
Ahh Cheaty the Bear. You're so wise, like a miniature Buddha, covered with hair.

Also, if you can hack the leaderboards, does that mean it's possible to actually cheat within the game? Sorry, I don't keep up with the cheater crowd.

EDIT: Awesome, the first two posts are entirely unrelated negativity.
 

azadiscool

New member
Dec 10, 2008
224
0
0
Want to know why it hasn't been fixed? Because, in IW and Activision's minds, 360>PS3>Shit>Superman 64>PC. That explains why the DLC comes out first on the 360 and the PC port was just that, a port.
 

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
5,204
0
0
I don't get the point in hacking leaderboards.

I mean, seriously, whats the point?

That said, I can see why someone would put themselves at the bottom with negative kills, thats actually rather funny.

Still, my point remains: whats the point? (yes, I know the pun...)
 

hypothetical fact

New member
Oct 8, 2008
1,601
0
0
HUBILUB said:
Who wants to bet that this will be used as an example by Xbox-fanboys to show why the 360 is better?
Anything will be used by fanboys to say that theirs is better. Though if the first thing you think of when you see news is what the fanboys will do, you might just be a fanboy yourself.
 

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
11,940
0
0
hypothetical fact said:
HUBILUB said:
Who wants to bet that this will be used as an example by Xbox-fanboys to show why the 360 is better?
Anything will be used by fanboys to say that theirs is better. Though if the first thing you think of when you see news is what the fanboys will do, you might just be a fanboy yourself.
I never saw it that way... But you're right, I am a fanboy...

 

This-is-Hip-Hop

New member
Feb 21, 2009
242
0
0
Its amazing just how much flak the PS3 is catching from Modern Warfare Two, this might just be my memory, but I don't recall any problems before the game, heck it was pretty good, but that seems to be in the past.

-This-is-Hip-Hop
 

Chaos Marine

New member
Feb 6, 2008
571
0
0
Well now, so much for IW's claim that the game was unhackable. IW really fucking dropped the ball with MW2 and the most infuriating thing about it is that it's they're most lucrative result. I can't help but fearing other developers or publishers getting into the mindset that this kind of shit is acceptable.

If relations to the gaming public is anything to go by.
 

Evilbunny

New member
Feb 23, 2008
2,099
0
0
I don't really care about the leaderboards. I'd be happy if they just fixed that stupid Javelin glitch that people are using.
 

Pielikey

New member
Jul 31, 2009
1,394
0
0
If I ever buy this game it certainly isn't for the Multi-player. (Besides co-op of course)
Although it is a little interesting that someone could have -12345 kills.
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
12,194
1,880
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
Hey, Infinity Ward? How's that console-centric philosophy working out for you? Man, I bet you guys just sit around and twiddle your thumbs all day as you watch the cash pile up. I mean, it's not like people can hack on consoles or anything, right?

Greg Tito said:
Even then, it seems that some hackers are becoming bored with hacking themselves to the top of the leaderboards and have begun glitching themselves [http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/modernwarfare2/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-52571436&pid=951943] so that they appear last on the list with negative 12345 kills. I'm not sure how you can unkill people. Agh, my brain is starting to hurt.

And remember kids: Cheaty the Bear says, "Don't cheat, dick."
If giving birth equals an "unkill", then these guys must be spawning like freakin' jumbo shrimp.

Oh, Cheaty. Your words of wisdom are lost upon us undeserving, non-fuzzy mortals.
 

Deleted

New member
Jul 25, 2009
4,054
0
0
Concider the following scenario:

Boy: Hey girl, I'm top of the leaderboard on CoD MW2!
Girl: Ohhh *swoons* thats so sexy! I want to DO you right NOW!
Boy: Awesome! I knew hacking to get hollow rewards was worth it!
Girl: Wait? Hacking? Sorry I want a man who pwns the 1337 way not a dirty hacking noob. Goodbye.

Then the boy dies a lonely death with his collection of modchips. so as you can see, this is good because that means more girls for me and my godlike fingers.


As for the unkilling, they're using an unlockable spawn gun that respawns dead bodies. What, you haven't unlocked it yet?
 

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
3,078
0
0
This just fills me with confidence that they can ban all the hackers and cheaters like they said they could when defending lack of dedicated servers and ability to kick
 

Eclectic Dreck

New member
Sep 3, 2008
6,662
0
0
Chaos Marine said:
Well now, so much for IW's claim that the game was unhackable. IW really fucking dropped the ball with MW2 and the most infuriating thing about it is that it's they're most lucrative result. I can't help but fearing other developers or publishers getting into the mindset that this kind of shit is acceptable.

If relations to the gaming public is anything to go by.
Infinity Ward never claimed it was unhackable. I believe the words they used was "more difficult" to hack. Either way you throw down the gauntlet to the hacker crowd. The (one) advantage (for a cosumer at any rate) the IW approach has is they have the option to respond to hacks more effeciently. Mankind has never built any security system that time and a willingness to try will not crack.