Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Criticized For "Going Too Far"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Criticized For "Going Too Far"

The Modern Warfare 2 [http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/10/05/modern-warfare-trailer-does-washington-burning-go-too-far/], suggesting that the events depicted in the video and the game might be going too far.

(If you haven't seen the video and want your Modern Warfare 2 experience to be completely unspoiled, you may want to stop reading now. Consider yourself warned.)

As expected, the Modern Warfare 2 trailer that debuted on Sunday night [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95200-New-Modern-Warfare-2-Trailer-Goes-Down-in-Infamy] was gorgeous and action-packed; somewhat less expected, I would guess, was the depiction of a blasted and burning Washington D.C. as a battleground upon which U.S. forces were struggling against an unknown foe. To me, as a gamer (and a confessed non-American), it was frikkin' awesome, but Andrew Heining of the Christian Science Monitor has a somewhat less enthusiastic take on it.

"In the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2... the gallant mansion reduced to rubble doesn't belong to some crazed separatist dictator hellbent on all kinds of nefarious acts. Instead, it's the White House," he wrote. "The scenes of post-apocalyptic scenes of carnage play out not in some fictional town in eastern Europe, but in Washington D.C. itself."

He admits that this isn't the first time that D.C. has been blown up in the name of entertainment and, with an obligatory swipe at Grand Theft Auto IV [http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/], suggests that Modern Warfare 2 may not actually be any worse than anything else put out by the gaming industry these days. "But this is one of the first times such striking imagery has surfaced since 9/11, when the idea of widespread destruction on US soil was suddenly thrust into reality," he added.

"Games based on current events are seeing something of a surge," he continued. "But something tells this writer there's something of a difference between a cartoonish Flash game where the object is to try to hit George W. Bush with a shoe, and one in which the destruction of a major U.S. city - in near photo-realistic detail - plays a central role."

Of course, this isn't the first time the U.S. capital has been blown up in "near photo-realistic detail" in a videogame, either; as numerous people have pointed out, Fallout 3 [http://fallout.bethsoft.com] let players tromp all over the "Capital Wasteland," including a lead-n-lasers quickie tour through the crumbling remains of the White House. But Fallout 3 was set in the aftermath; only Modern Warfare 2 will, presumably, let you fight in the city as it burns. Is that going too far? Is the depiction of Washington D.C. in the throes of destruction inappropriate or is it merely, as the author himself put it, "striking?"

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Jeez, a bit quick to complain before we even know anything about the game...?

Trailers can be pretty deceiving. Besides which, why is it ok to let players engage in realistic battles in "photo-realistic" world war 2 fights, but not ok to produce a modern replica of a fictional battle?

EDIT : 4444 th post =)

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
The imagery is definitely striking, but the CSM author is over-reacting. I don't see why it would be more acceptable to depict "some fictional town in eastern Europe" as a bombed out wasteland, perhaps because that imagery isn't pulling on your American heartstrings?

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
Too far? No, people just want to censor any and all media they don't like.

Hits a little close to home? Ever read "Sum of All Fears" by Tom Clancy? Old book, similar results to DC.

People need to grow some thicker skin.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
What would he say if it was say, London burning or other big european countrys.

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Urgh... Can't do anything in this world anymore without someone complaning about it.

It's a story, and it's not likely to happen, unless shit goes down, which it wont. If anything, we'll just end in another Cold War for a while, until agreements have been made.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
D_987 said:
EDIT : 4444 th post =)
Well done on the nice number

OT: As long as nothing is done about it they can whine all they want, we can just point and laugh at their inability to enjoy something great

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Personally I'd love to play a game that took place in a post-apocalyptic (or just plain apocalyptic :p) version of my home town.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
I'm amused that there are people out there who think there's something wrong with that.

They're probably patriots, too: the scum of humanity.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
bullshit. this just proves that the man is a nationalistic jerkass. i dont care if they threw a dozen nukes in there too, as well as a clip of the Senators slowly dying of radioactive poisoning.

this man is just trying to cock up a game that has a potential to be fantastic.

gRiM_rEaPeRsco

Jun 11, 2008
"Christian Science Monitor"?? not too long ago christians murdered hundreds of scientists most of who were devout christians.

May 28, 2009
Who cares? It looks cool.

Everyone here wants to fight for the White House! I love games with the President in, no matter who's side he's on.

Even though you've spoiled things for me again IW! Bullies!

poncho14 said:
He'd say nothing, but it'll still look cool. I'd love to fight for London even more.

You might've noticed that he said it wasn't just some Eastern European country this time. Sounds a bit nationalist if you ask me. Eastern Europe is fine but DC isn't?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Dunno what they're on about. I burned the Whitehouse in Red Alert 2, I slaughtered hundreds of American soldiers. I even kidnapped and mind controlled the President. In fact, I burned pretty much every famous DC landmark. Washington Monument? Rubble. Lincoln Memorial? Trashed. Smithsonian Museum? Little more than dust in the wind of a nuclear explosion that rocked the city.

Also, as someone above said: Why is it okay for books and films to describe crazy 'traumatic' events with the incineration of our cities but when a game does it, suddenly it's 'striking'?

Sorry Mr. CSM, I think you're talking a load of codswallop.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
poncho14 said:
They wouldn't care. If it isn't happening to America, they don't care.

Andrew Heining can fuck off. I'm sick of this "IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO AMERICA!" bullshit. Just to make it perfectly clear, he has pointed out he'd be fine if it happened in Eastern Europe. Because that is far away. And because Eastern Europeans aren't allowed to think the same back. Because that would make them terrorists.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Malygris said:
"In the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2... the gallant mansion reduced to rubble doesn't belong to some crazed separatist dictator hellbent on all kinds of nefarious acts. Instead, it's the White House," he wrote. "The scenes of post-apocalyptic scenes of carnage play out not in some fictional town in eastern Europe, but in Washington D.C. itself."
"And America is speshul, 'cuz it's, like, America." Note, class, that this is American Exceptionalism in one of its purer forms.

Guess what? Americans are human too, and what applies to humans in other countries applies to humans in the U S of A. Please deal with this in a more responsible fashion, because the rest of the planet is tired of dealing with its fallout. (Indeed, actually listening to the dialog in the CoD:MW2 trailer spells out in no uncertain terms that it's that sort of exceptionalism driving one of the voice-over characters.)

(I should note, I suppose, I've seen others take the same stance in the case of the live-action Halo trailers claiming that they demean real veterans and/or diminish the importance or solemnity of real-life memorials... this sort of defensiveness isn't exclusively American. The phrasing in the CSM article, the "it can't happen here" mentality apparently behind it, just triggered a long-standing beef of mine.)

-- Steve

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
And yet it is fine to bomb the hell out of any foreign (Read: Middle-Eastern) country.

Actually, I was wondering when people would go nuts on this. I guess I'm a prophet.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Wow, hypocrisy much.

It's ok for some town full of screaming reds or towel faces to go up in smoke, but not DC?
Blimey, maybe he should look at the positive of brave American (and several not American) soldiers frantically defening their homeland from a pervasive evil.

I don't get the 'destruction ok, so long as it's not our backyard' attitude that so many have (any nationality here), it's a very detached way of thinking and it inevitably comes back to haunt you in the most horrific ways (see Pearl Harbour, Northern Ireland, Algeria, Iran, 9/11, Madrid etc). It also seems an incredibly petty thing to get wound up over.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Malygris said:
...the gallant mansion reduced to rubble doesn't belong to some crazed separatist dictator hellbent on all kinds of nefarious acts...
I could make a joke in really poor taste here, but I won't.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
It's not inappropriate at all. Every country is vulnerable to invasion, so the US shouldn't think itself impenetrable.