Modern Warfare 2 Trailer Criticized For "Going Too Far"

Baron Khaine

Jun 24, 2009
So its ok for a middle eastern town that no ones heard of to get blown up, but as soon as its DC, there all up in arm's.

This is why I hate religion, and these types of American's.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
Well, on topic, I'm gonna say he's just not that familiar with games, as he only referenced GTA and MW2. 2 absosutely HUGE games, while ignoring all the other games that people have metioned. Moving swiftly away from the topic, that was the first time I saw that trailer, and upon seeing the Washington Monument in ruins, my jaw dropped and I stopped breathing briefly whilst wondering who I could possibly spread the news to. Wow, that's gonna be awesome.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Andrew Heining of the Christian Science Monitor needs to take his head out of his arse, so what just because it's your country it's wrong, I would love to play a game that would let me fight in the burning ruble of the houses of parliament or something similar.

Malygris said:
But Fallout 3 was set in the aftermath; only Modern Warfare 2 will, presumably, let you fight in the city as it burns. Is that going too far?
No it isn't what about in say call of duty world at war fighting in the burning city as the reichstag falls down??? Is that not that dissimilar to what Modern warfare 2 is doing? Only what modern warfare 2 is doing is fictional.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Yes, most Americans know this is stupid. No using the, "Americans are stupid" racist gem, Americans generally see the bullshit here. In fact, I will go so far as to say the exact opposite: It's rather patriotic to show a brave protagonist fighting the forces of evil in justified defense. In fact, its COMMON to do so. Look at, "Independence Day". Sorry CSM, but its been a while since we were so easily duped with aggressively saying, "9/11", and then doing whatever the hell you wanted.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'm an American and I don't think it's going to far. In fact I admire IW for going in that direction. It would be, in my opinion, hypocritical to bomb Eastern European cities to hell and actually having a nuke detonated in the Middle East yet refuse to show America receiving a similar military based attack/invasion.
If the trailer had shown an airplane purposefully flown into a building, be it White House, Pentagon, Empire State or any other iconic American structure for the sole purpose of killing as many non-combatants as possible, then that would be going to far.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
poncho14 said:
What would he say if it was say, London burning or other big european countrys.
The rest of the world doesn't care because it has happened to the rest of the world. The reason the US was so shocked about 9/11 was because it was the first real attack they had suffered on their own soil.
I know a fair few of the less-intelligent Americans, and I know the bravado with which they proclaim, "Nuke The Middle East" or "Just shoot them all.". It is quite delicious for me, and many others I'm sure, to see them getting the reality check they've needed for a long time: America is not invincible.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
As an American I have my own thoughts of how this will come to pass and will save my own opinion until the game releases and I find out for my self.. but, I really want to see where this is going, my interest is peeked. It looks like something out of a Tom Clancy Novel.

Jalepeno Shogun

Sep 12, 2008
Put your holier than thou overly patriotic head on the curb, give the nearest bum your wallet and ask him to to stomp you. Then have him write a letter and ***** at independence day, or CNN. Parents try to get their kids to watch whats happening on CNN (which they dont) so a game showing real world conflict shows whats going on

Exocet

Pandamonium is at hand
Dec 3, 2008
What about Tom Clancy's HAWX?
I was basically carpet bombing enemy tanks in DC and must have leveled every building in a one kilometer radius around the capitol building.No reference to that?

Could this be?Could this guy just want to be in the news?I most certainly think so.

Besides,how is seeing Washington ruined a bad thing?Hell,it gives the player a reason to hate the enemy and reinforces the player's patriotism.
Hell,when I'll play the game,I'll probably imagine myself in my country's capital defending my nation to the death.
If he thought about it for a second instead of screaming blasphemy and heresy,he could see that.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
It seems nobody explained to the good gentlemen that a game is just a series of ones and zeros and there is no way it can harm them. Seriously, wasn't DC blown up in Fallout 3? Or in Independence day? It's not like you play as the terrorists who did it or something (potential spoiler warning).

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
Lordmarkus said:
[small]Though if Activision/IW delayes the PC-version, there will be a lot of unneccesary bloodshed. Grr[/small]
[small] They have no excuse for not putting out a demo the bastards.[/small]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Reuq said:
Amnestic said:

Yeah, there's never been a game with such wanton destruction of American cities.
You have been put on probation for 'homosexuality', nice wording there!

OT: Fair point about Deafcon, but that is a bit less well advertised...
You're the second person to point that out I think. Doesn't matter how well advertised a game is. The point is that it is there and that people could find it if they tried without much issue at all. The game's bloody subtitle is EVERYBODY DIES. It's not exactly subtle! :p

SomeBritishDude said:
Christian Science Monitor
...How are these words in the same sentence? This is a real profession? You mean like Legless Marthon Runner and Female Penis Model?
Just got back from my University's Freshers Fair, they had a Christian Science Society.

I didn't join.

If the trailer had shown an airplane purposefully flown into a building, be it White House, Pentagon, Empire State or any other iconic American structure for the sole purpose of killing as many non-combatants as possible, then that would be going to far.
Would it? That's the reality we live in and attacking non-combatants has been commonplace in war for over 70 years of 'modern' warfare and far more since before that.

Vikings want a word. Something to do with raping, pillaging and looting your villages. It's no secret that people kill non-combatants. Just look at the Firestorm tactics, the nukes of WW2, the cluster bombs, the lack of care about guns being fired into urban areas.

Civilians will always be killed in combat. That's a fact. Since MW seems to be based on (admittedly a loose definition of) realism, one wouldn't be surprised to see a plane being flown into something.

But hey, I'm English so maybe there's this massive culture gap since 9/11 didn't matter nearly as much to me.

/Try getting invaded once a bloody weekend ya pansies.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Americans having to realize the possibility exists that one day we could be held accountable for our actions in other countries? The U.S. army being given an unequivocally legitimate reason to fight? OUTRAGEOUS!

Seriously...its just role reversal- deal with it.