Modern Warfare 3 Adds Folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Adds Folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers

Don't fight harder in Modern Warfare 3; fight smarter.

Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer have picked up a few tricks from real-life Special Forces soldiers for Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314632159&sr=8-1] and added folding scopes into the game. They've also added some of the latest in grenade launcher technology into the mix as well.

The folding scope is exactly what it sounds like: a magnifying scope that folds down out of the way. This allows the weapon to be used at a wider variety of ranges, and thus make the weapon more versatile. Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling said that the feature came about after conversations that Infinity Ward had had with Delta Force operatives, who had to adapt to new situations quickly and effectively.

"Say you're picking guys in windows out long range in Manhattan, but then kick through a door and start clearing a building," Bowling explained. "You can now fold down your magnifying scope and already have a close-range optic on your gun. So now you're engaging guys close-target without having to change weapon."

The folding scope isn't the only toy that's been added to the Modern Warfare 3 arsenal either. Players will also be able to play with the XM25 Airburst Grenade Launcher, which is designed to detonate grenades in the air, taking out enemies behind cover.

The XM25, also known as the "Punisher," uses smart technology to precisely control when the grenade explodes. "It's great for when you're fighting in an urban environment," said Bowling. "If a guy is behind a concrete barrier, you can laser-tag that cover point, fire over it and it will then program the round to explode one meter past it. Anyone hiding behind it will be showered down."

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/32818/news/modern-warfare-3-gets-folding-scopes-punisher-grenade-launcher/]

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Ah, grand, another form of noob-tube to hate...
I sigh that I am probably going to buy this game, and then be very annoyed within the first few hours.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
As much as the CoD hate train keeps on chugging I find that this new Infinity Ward team has quite a chip on their shoulder after the Activision incident. I'm sure some of them stayed only because of the money but now they've got a reputation to rebuild all over again.

I see a lot more community interaction than I have in the past and they seem to be trying to focus on CoD's strength which is fast-paced infantry focused combat instead of the killstreaks (now POINT-streaks. Objective players rejoice.)

I'll still reserve full judgement until release but IMO Battlefield 3 is looking weaker and weaker for the 360 while MW3 keeps coming out with more and more positive things.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
the XM25 is just going to be annoying. a semi-auto 6/8 shot grenade launcher that can kill you behind cover

Cartridge 25 × 40 mm
Effective range 500 m for point targets, 700 m for area targets
Maximum range 1,000 m
Feed system 6 or 8 air-burst 25mm grenades box magazine
Sights 4x thermal sight with zoom, 2x direct view optical sight

Being able to fire a range of ammo
-Thermobaric
-Flechette
-High-explosive airbursting round
-Non-lethal
-Armor Piercing
-Door breaching

it may fit in with BF3. but not cod

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Hooray for even MORE overpowered gadgets! Seriously, balance it up and tone it down a bit. I hate watching everyone run around like a one-man army...

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Awexsome said:
As much as the CoD hate train keeps on chugging I find that this new Infinity Ward team has quite a chip on their shoulder after the Activision incident. I'm sure some of them stayed only because of the money but now they've got a reputation to rebuild all over again.

I see a lot more community interaction than I have in the past and they seem to be trying to focus on CoD's strength which is fast-paced infantry focused combat instead of the killstreaks (now POINT-streaks. Objective players rejoice.)

I'll still reserve full judgement until release but IMO Battlefield 3 is looking weaker and weaker for the 360 while MW3 keeps coming out with more and more positive things.
Agreed. Last month I was in the position of wanting BF3 on day one, and seriously considering if I was going to get MW3 at all, but EA has seriously put it's foot in it recently while Infinity Ward seem to be taking several steps in the right direction. That said, If I am disappointed by MW3 it will be the last Call of Duty game I will buy, and I still don't think I'm even going to bother with the multiplayer this time around.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
If this is what is making headlines for the game, then if it wasn't already obvious enough that they are totaly out of ideas, IT IS NOW.

Sep 14, 2009
so basically a grenade that explodes when i want it to?

great..even more OP noob tubers running around doing one man army's

well,, guess that 60 dollars is going toward something else i suppose.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
An even more overpowered grenade launcher. Nothing good will come of this, as if the normal noobtubes weren't bad enough. Not that I care as I'm getting Battlefield 3 for my multiplayer FPS fix. If I ever decide to pick up MW3 it will be for the campaign.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
I think I will wait to see how it fairs in Hardcore mode before passing judgement on the X25

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
If you were running a sweepstake on 'What post number on Escapist article about MW3 have a comment about how Battlefield 3 is better/irrelevantly mentioning it for no apparent reason?', the answer was 11.

Good news, so long as the noobtubes aren't as bad.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
":D WERE ADDING SMART NOOBTOOBS" Is basically what this article says to me. I most likely wasnt going to buy this game to begin with. Now the fact theyre going to ADD more powerful toobs to the game? And almost Boasting about it?

Yeah, i highly doubt im gunna get it now.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Didn't they already reveal these a while ago when the Black Tuesday demonstration video came out? I distinctly mention the demonstrator using a folding scope on his M4 and picking up the XM25.

Edit: removed bad grammar

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Sigh, so much hate without even thinking about it.

Most likely scenario the Airburst will require more than one step to fire the extremely lethal grenade. Probably like looking down the sight, selecting the cover, then re aiming over the cover like the actual weapon requires. Not exactly a point and shoot like the old grenade launcher. It is also a separate weapon and not an attachment, meaning that the user has to sacrifice a primary slot for it. If anything it is the perfect anti camper weapon and not a noobtube weapon like everyone is complaining about.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Interesting however, COD has put me in a state that nothing it can do will impress me, it will still be Meh to me even if it defines and becomes the best shooter.

AssassinFisH

Jun 12, 2011
Where exactly does it say this will be included in MP? Oh thats right, it DOESN'T! Do you honestly think Infinity Ward have not addressed the balance issues of MW2. Well if you take time to watch some dev interviews, you will realise that they are reigning in the OP gadgets and killstreaks of MW2, in favour of actual gun skill. From all the things I have seen so far, MW3 is going to be amazing!

SendMeNoodz84

Jun 11, 2009
Interesting...
I'm sure I'll be thinking about how overpowered and cheap the gadgets in Call of Duty while I go to full scale war in Battlefield 3.