Modern Warfare 3 Adds Folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
With all that Origin BS, this is actually becoming more promising than Battlefield 3.

As long as the game is compatible or even available on Steam, I'm thinking it'll be better.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
weirdguy said:
Not sure, but I think in order to tag an area, you'd have to have direct line of sight with it, so it's not as if they can just fire randomly into your zone with this specific feature without getting in visual range first.
Right. The grenade launcher honestly doesn't sound like you're supposed to spam grenades, but it's to force people out of cover to prevent camping or whatever.
I bet they'll do one of the following:

Nerf its damage - Make it only fire Flashbangs or something - ... - PROFIT!

I don't see the problem. I (a mediocre CoD player) never found the M203 to be a problem, literally one or two maps had M203 heavy zones, which if avoided allowed for no annoyance.

For me, this post is good news as it conferms another detail about a good looking game.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
teisjm said:
Kopikatsu said:
teisjm said:
Hmmm I'm left wondering:
If a game wants to have balanced gameplay, where one weapon isn't strictly superrior to another, why would they seek advice from real life soldiers, who would, understandably, like nothing more than to have IMBA weapons?

Weapon manufacturers would never ask themselves, if they should notch down the power/usefullness of their new gun, because it makes the AK47 useless in comparision, game developers should (if they have the AK in their game)

Game developers should focus on what makes for good gameplay, not what a military expert considers a precice enough depiction of reality.

I don't care how imbalanced gunships are IRL, they broke BF2, and made many many players play infantry only, strictly to avoid them. (i know this is MW3, not BF3 beeing discussed, but this was a good example)
They're going for 'realism'. These are real weapons/gear, so that's why they're using them.

$5 says that shotguns will have an effective range of five feet in the game, though.
I know they are, or at least pretend to be, just pointing out how realism can conflict with gameplay.
Not necessarily. Operation Flashpoint was extremely heavy on the realism, to the point where you could basically die at any moment without warning to a prone sniper some 500 yards away. (It's bullet traveled faster than the speed of sound, so you die before you even hear the shot) and it was still critically acclaimed/fun.
Point beeing can conflict, not does conflict.
I've never played Operation flashpoint, and in my experience, most FPS games can drop you with 1 shot from huge ranges with snipers.
I'm not saying realism is a bad thing, and that it shouldn't be in games, just that it should be applied where the game can benefit from it, and held back, where it might make the game less fun.

Anthony Abney

Mar 16, 2011
WouldYouKindly said:
Anthony Abney said:
Psycho-Toaster said:
...That's it? That's one of the most significant gameplay changes since the previous game?

For crying out loud, that could have been a patch.
you do know that this is NOT one of the most significant gameplay changes right? They're saving all the big stuff for the big reveal at Call of Duty XP
CoD has had significant gameplay changes? It's pretty much been the same but just changes in the scoring system in the MP, that's it.
right, because they totally DIDN'T go from 3 killstreaks to dozens of them, or give you some kind of customization options like a title or an emblem or the ability to create your own emblem, they never added any new or even sort of new game modes, and CoD is seriously lacking in the co-op department, i mean there's no mission based OR survival based co-op experience AT ALL

[/sarcasm]

the only reason it appears that the game hasn't changed is because they come out so frequently that you miss out on what's new and what's gone, go play CoD 4 then play Black Ops or MW2, you will notice a TON of changes (whether they're for the better or worse depends on your opinions)

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
So, they ARE doing what I predicted, add even MORE overpowered gadgets for noob-tubers to use for absolutely NO reason.

SgtFoley said:
Mr. Moonshine said:
SgtFoley said:
if Infinity Ward throws in destructible environments Battlefield will loose the last thing it had going for it
Infinity Ward would never do that. It's too much work for them. They would have to actually do something other than copy pasting.
Next time you want to make a pathetic attempt to insult a company and game series you know absolutely nothing about either shut the fucking hell up or dont quote me.
He wasn't insulting and his statement doesn't make him know anything more or less about the company. Also, he is right, destructible cover would be horrible in the game and people would complain about it. Making it not worth the effort, plus, infinity ward spent all of their upgrade money on graphics and other things no one asked for, LIKE folding scopes and grenade launchers. Again, so how do you know he knows nothing about the CoD series or even Infinity ward when he has stated nothing to intend to that?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
mb16 said:
the XM25 is just going to be annoying. a semi-auto 6/8 shot grenade launcher that can kill you behind cover

Cartridge 25 × 40 mm
Effective range 500 m for point targets, 700 m for area targets
Maximum range 1,000 m
Feed system 6 or 8 air-burst 25mm grenades box magazine
Sights 4x thermal sight with zoom, 2x direct view optical sight

Being able to fire a range of ammo
-Thermobaric
-Flechette
-High-explosive airbursting round
-Non-lethal
-Armor Piercing
-Door breaching

it may fit in with BF3. but not cod
What makes you think all of those features will actually be in the game? The M4 carbine has a lot of versatility when it comes to attachments as well, but very few of them have made it into any of the games. I think the grenade launcher could be useful for taking out campers, and camping is something that CoD needs to start combating.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Seriously guys, these types of comments are what really make me believe that, The Escapist isn't one of the most intelligent, and mature gaming websites, but in fact the complete opposite.

Half of the people commenting have no idea what they are talking about, or so it seems. They are simply hating, because it is CoD. Making ridiculous statements and jumping way ahead of the gun.

Comments like:
CoD has had significant gameplay changes? It's pretty much been the same but just changes in the scoring system in the MP, that's it.
and
We get a folding scope AND a new grenade launcher?! That seems worthy of 60$.
really honestly have no place in this thread.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
So everyone's not going to be buying Call of Duty again based on the fact of ONE weapon, in the MULTIPLAYER, which only makes up ONE THIRD of the GAMES CONTENT. seriously people need to stop slagging it off based off ONE weapon design choice alone. just look at the amounts of piss EA is taking with the decisions it's made with BF3. Now look at MW3, and it's just more flexible than what EA is doing. and people get angry at ONE WEAPON. seriously stop being children. it's ONE WEAPON.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
pwnzerstick said:
If this is what is making headlines for the game, then if it wasn't already obvious enough that they are totaly out of ideas, IT IS NOW.
I am waiting for that COD event that is coming soon, which will reveal all multiplayer features including weapons, perks, killstreaks, the whole nine (only a few maps are being held back) until I judge it. I think thats a sensible approach, judging the whole game on one weapon that may or may not be exclusive to the campaign is a little silly.

Hell, I would probably be raging right now, but since im a PC gamer and PC gets dedicated servers this time round all the over powered shit will be banned from 90% of servers anyway.
Didn't they say they'd still keep the dedicated servers away and bring back the MW2 P2P?
If it is true that they put the dedicated servers back in, I hope they're properly syndicated within Steam unlike Black Ops.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Anthony Abney said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Anthony Abney said:
Psycho-Toaster said:
...That's it? That's one of the most significant gameplay changes since the previous game?

For crying out loud, that could have been a patch.
you do know that this is NOT one of the most significant gameplay changes right? They're saving all the big stuff for the big reveal at Call of Duty XP
right, because they totally DIDN'T go from 3 killstreaks to dozens of them, or give you some kind of customization options like a title or an emblem or the ability to create your own emblem, they never added any new or even sort of new game modes, and CoD is seriously lacking in the co-op department, i mean there's no mission based OR survival based co-op experience AT ALL

[/sarcasm]

the only reason it appears that the game hasn't changed is because they come out so frequently that you miss out on what's new and what's gone, go play CoD 4 then play Black Ops or MW2, you will notice a TON of changes (whether they're for the better or worse depends on your opinions)
Yeah, an expansion on the kill streak system isn't a change, it's an expansion. New guns and attachments aren't gameplay changes either if they fall into the same categories that have already existed. The game is essentially the same. Glue your face to this bit of cover and shoot at that guy doing the same.

The MP has become a "who can be the twitchiest bastard" contest, not that it was much more than that in 4. Now, however, the twitchiest bastard gets very powerful vehicles and the chance to basically win the game on his own. Yes, it's different, but the premise is the same. Get X amount of kills to get Y more amount of kills

Titles and emblems are as pointless as achievements. Little baubles to string you along so you keep playing(in MW2). In CoDBO, it was artistic/vulgar expression for those who had way too much time on their hands.

The co-op is a novelty, nothing more. It's got no connectivity to the single player campaign aside from using the same maps. If I wanted to just wreck shit up, I'd go play in a sandbox, or play Dead Rising if I wanted to do both and still fight zombies. For the co-op elements, there are games that have done it better, even if the shooter elements in those games aren't as polished.

They've made a bunch of new games without expanding on the tried and true, shoot that guy formula. The single path levels, the explosive ridden multiplayer, even the unique levels like the AC 130 have become predictable.

CoD 4 was different, everything afterwards was slight expansions on the cover based FPS formula, not any kind of change or pushing of the envelope in most any department since all the stories have become your traditional gun wankfests and all the mechanics have been exactly the same.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
C95J said:
Seriously guys, these types of comments are what really make me believe that, The Escapist isn't one of the most intelligent, and mature gaming websites, but in fact the complete opposite.

Half of the people commenting have no idea what they are talking about, or so it seems. They are simply hating, because it is CoD. Making ridiculous statements and jumping way ahead of the gun.

Comments like:
and
We get a folding scope AND a new grenade launcher?! That seems worthy of 60$.
really honestly have no place in this thread.
well the way I see it is this:

why does the escapist post a news article everytime Infinity ward takes a crap?

Seriously speaking, on a large-ish sized news site like this one, If its in the interest of speed, it just looks dumb. CoD news article after CoD news article after Cod News article of crap that seems almost barely relevant and could honestly fit in a bigger article about the weapons that are confirmed or something.

Is the financial situation really that bad that they have to jump on every single piece of news?

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
Ok, the folding scopes could be useful. But the smart-grenade launcher? It's horrifically overpowered, and that's why troops are using them. Noob-tubers have got a new toy.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
mb16 said:
the XM25 is just going to be annoying. a semi-auto 6/8 shot grenade launcher that can kill you behind cover

Cartridge 25 × 40 mm
Effective range 500 m for point targets, 700 m for area targets
Maximum range 1,000 m
Feed system 6 or 8 air-burst 25mm grenades box magazine
Sights 4x thermal sight with zoom, 2x direct view optical sight

Being able to fire a range of ammo
-Thermobaric
-Flechette
-High-explosive airbursting round
-Non-lethal
-Armor Piercing
-Door breaching

it may fit in with BF3. but not cod
Good God! At least the China Lake in Black Ops was the slowest thing you could ever reload, rechamber, aim, and move around with...

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
5t3v0 said:
well the way I see it is this:

why does the escapist post a news article everytime Infinity ward takes a crap?

Seriously speaking, on a large-ish sized news site like this one, If its in the interest of speed, it just looks dumb. CoD news article after CoD news article after Cod News article of crap that seems almost barely relevant and could honestly fit in a bigger article about the weapons that are confirmed or something.

Is the financial situation really that bad that they have to jump on every single piece of news?
It's no where near CoD news article after CoD news article after Cod News article as you describe it. Stop making stuff up, I've seen loads more articles about Skyrim, do you complain about that as well?

Anyway, this is a gaming news website, they post they post news about every game! It's not like you could have just, oh I dunno, not clicked on the article or anything. But obviously the article did interest you in some way or another otherwise I don't see the need in clicking on it and browsing through the comments.

Anyway, the fact they post news articles about CoD has NO relevance to what I was saying, and there is no justification for people jumping ahead of the gun, like I said in my first post, and hating on CoD, simply because it is CoD.

The way I see it:

-Person hates CoD, notices a news article about it, clicks it anyway.

-Reads information, suddenly comes to the conclusion somehow that folding Scopes and Smart Grenade Launchers are the only new feature of the game.

-Complains about this for no reason, making themselves look like an idiot.

I may sound like a complete twat right now, but I'm just sticking up for the game, from unjustified hate. It also may look like I don't like Skyrim right about now, just to clarify, Skyrim looks fucking amazing.