Modern Warfare 3 Breaks Every Sales Record Known to Man

Dec 14, 2009
Torrasque said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I can't say I'm surprised.

I like CoD as much as the next guy, but I don't think it deserves to break so many records.

If people want to pay full price (and then some) for the same game every year, by all means, go for it.
I like how their vaunted CoD Elite service is still up shit creek, and how hackers are still hacking.
Throw in the fact that quickscoping is easier, spawning is not quite as bad as Blops, but still bad, and throw in a dash of "grenades suck balls" and you get: thank god Skyrim is so much fun.
Amen brother, Skyrim is my haven at the moment.

Skyrim for deep single player experience.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom for my multiplayer fix

Saints Row the Third for my beating-people-to-death-with-a-purple-dildo-fix.

As far as I'm concerned, CoD is dead to me.

The_Merchant

Nov 9, 2011
Very well ,young lads
Tell me the development costs of MW3( which i firmly believe was nothing else than reskinning existing models and throw in some random 2-3 h campaign as well as put in some maps that could have been the 15 bucks map packs for MW2)

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Didn't it sell less than MW2 but still make more money on day one? With magic?
With CoD Elite, neat little extra tax that doubles the price of their game, and Kotick is evil laughing his ass off right now.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
sravankb said:
Tim - "What? Other people like games that I don't?"

Jim - "You know what we should do? We should encourage more players to check out some of our favorite games. It's possible that they haven't tried them out and they might actually enjoy some of them".

Tim - "Shut up Jim; that's a terrible idea. What we should do instead is constantly make topics and posts that express how much better we are at life for liking the games that we do. These posts will definitely make them want to play the titles that us snobs and hipsters do. And heck, telling them that they're stupid for liking MW3 will surely make them see the point".

And then Tim proceeded to make #32455652343rd "Let's bash CoD and Halo" topic on the Escapist.
For one, this is a news post.

For two, I don't have a two. It's pointless trying to have a discussion with someone such as yourself. It won't go anywhere.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
"I don't like the game, therefore it must be bad."

Seriously everyone? Get off your elitist high-horse.

At least be happy that the medium of video games is having such a significant impact world-wide.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
In this thread: Haters still hating.

Still looking for that intelligent, mature Escapist site people keep talking about.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Video games now have their own version of the summer blockbuster movie. Big loud derivative titles that take a loads of money. The only difference is that dumb video game blockbusters come out during the autumn.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Hmm if they can make 700+ million at launch every year re-releasing the same game...... what if they instead do the same every 6 months.... and have 2 15 dollar DLC packs with 2-4 map each and reuse map elements or just completely reuse maps from the previous releases.... and have new DLC camo skins at 10 dollars each...... and peripherals, gotta have peripherals. So much money to be made.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
It amazes me that when a game sells well everyone comes out to hate it. With stories of developers folding every couple of weeks its nice to hear of some success in vidoegames.

MW3 offers a slick, tight and well balanced multiplayer game. The game feels right, the perks and weapons seem far more balanced. Hardcore kill confirmed is also a godsend as it cuts the camping in half.

You dont have to like it, I personally dont do racing games, that doesnt mean I want forza et al. to bomb. Were talking about peoples livelyhoods.

TL:DR

Haters gonna hate.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I think MW3 is a fun game. I really do. But I don't think that it is nearly as good as the sales imply it is. Oh well, can't do much about it can we?

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
The only disappointment I have is that this will further discourage any new IP for the next few years. Prepare for another year of bi-monthly brown shooter releases.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Another thing - I am one of a few who believe the FPS market it too heavy for it's own weight; and with the indifferent, grey military shooters spewing out of its mass production line, soon it's got to crumble from massive over-saturation.

This article reinforces that idea. With economy, markets, industry etc. - doesn't every boom follow through with a more devastating crash? Bye bye FPS, or CoD in particular.

PS I now only buy 1 or 2 FPS a year, to back my own opinions/theories up. BF & MoH were this years; Black Ops & Halo Reach the year before. I do not buy any more as they're all too samie. Next Year? Bioshock & Far Cry, probably. Even they just look a bit too anti-revolutionary. Sure sure don't change what ain't broken, but does it hurt to at least try and bring something new to the table each time, to make your products unique, FPS developers?

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
-Samurai- said:
In this thread: Haters still hating.

Still looking for that intelligent, mature Escapist site people keep talking about.
"Intelligent and mature" means they don't play games like MW3. Obviously.

I don't play FPSs, but I'm not going to throw a tantrum over the fact that other people do.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
You know what? I'm just going to declare Call of Duty the "Nickelback" of the gaming world. It's not objectively bad, in fact it's polished to the nth degree. It's just bland, boring and entirely forgettable, with each release being pretty much the same as the last, yet it somehow achieves massive success and unprecidented popularity, and that is what pisses off the people who don't like it more than anything else.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
That's just fucking depressing.
A game that's repetitive mediocrity, absolutely derivative of its own series, and unoriginal to the core, is the best seller...of all time.

There are many people out there who hate popular things just because it's fun or cool to do.
Whatever. They're tools.
But there are a few of us who hate these things because we know what this really represents: Market consolidation and movement towards a uniform series of products.
Every time mediocrity succeeds, it creates incentive to focus on that success by cloning it repeatedly, and lo', that's what is happening today.

Of the dozens of shooters that launched this year alone, I can think of maybe three that weren't highly derivative of CoD4.x (and two of them are shit) which itself is highly derivative of the Halo formula (but at least Halo had a much wider color spectrum).

Whatever. Let the 12-20 year-olds enjoy their generic shooters. I hadn't developed any taste when I was their age too (thinking Quake 2 was awesome. Having played it again, the level design was total SHIT even compared to Quake 1 and Doom, but nicely and splody) and hadn't quite grasped the level of marketing and pandering that was directed at specifically at me back then.
Bragging about killstreaks and weapon balance now is no different than citing how awesome the Rocket Launcher and Railgun were back then.

This market has no place for people like me anymore, and it shows, so grousing about it now is futile.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
Bvenged said:
Another thing - I am one of a few who believe the FPS market it too heavy for it's own weight; and with the indifferent, grey military shooters spewing out of its mass production line, soon it's got to crumble from massive over-saturation.

This article reinforces that idea. With economy, markets, industry etc. - doesn't every boom follow through with a more devastating crash? Bye bye FPS, or CoD in particular.
I think in the case of FPS its more so that modern military console friendly shooters are going to pull a guitar hero and sink themselves. FPS itself has its own sub genres and hopefully when MMS dies off that the more skill based shooters make there return (things like the new Tribes game are a glimmer of hope).