Modern Warfare 3 Dedicated Servers Leave Out the Leveling Up.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Dedicated Servers Leave Out the Leveling Up.

Unsurprisingly , server admins are the kings and queens of Modern Warfare 3's dedicated servers.

Infinity Ward has revealed that the dedicated servers for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319454500&sr=8-1] will be unranked, so PC players wanting to level up are going to have to choose between experience points and a superior playing experience.

Writing on the Call of Duty community site [http://community.callofduty.com/thread/4682], Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling answered a number of questions about the PC version of the game. One of these questions was whether or not dedicated servers were ranked, and as you might have guessed, the answer was "no." It's not all bad though, because server administrators will have full control over what weapons and unlocks are available, so you if you find the right server you might not need to level up.

I'm guessing that Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, and Activision are trying to manage cheating in the game with this move, something that is a continual bugbear for the Call of Duty series. There are inevitably going to be some people disappointed by this news, and it does seems that dedicated servers and Call of Duty never quite mix properly.

The post has plenty of other information about the playing the PC version, so if you have questions, then it's worth a look. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/23/modern-warfare-3s-dedicated-pc-servers-are-unranked-unlocks-co/]

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
On the plus side, this prevents some of the more dubious of hacks from occuring...

By making them perfectly legit functions of adminship.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
What is it with games recently, that release disappointing news just before the release of the game.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Sounds like they are being lazy and making up excuses.
If their leveling system makes people able to cheat then they should fix that.
I'll stick to Team Fortress 2, where I can play on whatever server I like and still be able to unlock items without worrying about cheaters thanks to VAC.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Call of duty and dedicated servers never mixed? Um... Obviously your memory doesn't go past MW2. It worked fine before, and then they changed it to a shittyer system. One that ONLY works well on a platform with uniform hardware, ala CONSOLES.

And people wonder why there is so much Call of Duty hate... Sure the PC platform is a niche, but don't act like we don't know what we want. Also, even the PS3 version gets left out half the time, I actually find myself siding with them a lot.

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
I'd like to know what idiot at infinity ward looked at all those people boycotting MW2 for it's lack of dedicated servers and said "You know what? Those guys that like dedicated servers? let's shit on them again!"

Seriously, what is it with game developers and restricting the player's freedom. It's been happening more and more recently.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Doom972 said:
I'll stick to Team Fortress 2, where I can play on whatever server I like and still be able to unlock items without worrying about cheaters thanks to VAC.
Aren't they using Steamworks already? or is it just for installation?

As for the PC version of the game itself, who would get it? PC gaming has been getting the short end of the stick for years from this genre. (admittedly they are not missing out on much)

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I'm being really dim or something, but I don't understand what this means.
Halp?

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
so PC players wanting to level up are going to have to choose between experience points and a superior playing experience
This comment is biased and unprofessional, who are you to make this call - its totally subjective and will vary with the player. I personally found the omission of dedicateds in mw2 made it a much more focused and balanced experience with less faffing about. I hated the idea initially untill I actually played the game and found it was better this way

I'm glad I have the option to browse servers, but I like to know every game I play will have consistent rules decided by the dev, not some squeaky voiced elitist admin who bans claymores cause they are 'teh n00bz'...

I just wanna turn on the game and jump straight into a match - I may be a minority in this opinion but at least it's my own opinion

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
shock bloody horror...you mean another cod game isnt gonna give a damn about the pc community =O
One comment on their website made me laugh though... he complains about the lack of ranked dedi servers, goes off on a rant saying how bad mw3 will be, then says "im still going to buy it even though im extreemly disapointed!" wtf does cod have to do to make people not want to buy it! morons

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
TitsMcGee1804 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
so PC players wanting to level up are going to have to choose between experience points and a superior playing experience
This comment is biased and unprofessional, who are you to make this call - its totally subjective and will vary with the player. I personally found the omission of dedicateds in mw2 made it a much more focused and balanced experience with less faffing about. I hated the idea initially untill I actually played the game and found it was better this way

I'm glad I have the option to browse servers, but I like to know every game I play will have consistent rules decided by the dev, not some squeaky voiced elitist admin who bans claymores cause they are 'teh n00bz'...

I just wanna turn on the game and jump straight into a match - I may be a minority in this opinion but at least it's my own opinion
You're asking for objectivity from The Escapist. Think about that for a moment.

O.T. I hate the series anyway, but wouldn't it make more sense to fix the leveling system so they can't cheat with it much at all? To be honest, though, dedicated servers tossing out the whole retarded leveling-up business sounds like the best announcement regarding this game I've seen so far.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
TitsMcGee1804 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

When I played Black Ops on the PC, almost every server I went to had some stupid arbitrary rule that didnt allow one thing or another. There was one where you could only use sniperrifles and nothing else, and another where you had to crouch... I got kicked from that server because I used the PSG-1, so im guessing sniper rifles were not allowed (even though it said fucking nowhere about that.

Honestly, I think if I was going to buy MW3 on PC, I would prefer the uniformity of IWnet.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
What I gather from the information is that the unranked servers, that is the Dedicated will have the option of unlocking everything from the start without any level grinding.

So, should I be mad that the grindoption is only in matchmaking? Yes, but I don't want to spend another 24-48 h hours of grinding just to get leet gear. Unranked means instant action where I can get my damn Dragunov/m1911 combo right out of the gate. I don't see any problem with that.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
TitsMcGee1804 said:
Logan Westbrook said:

You're not actually talking about servers, dedicated or otherwise; what you're talking about is matchmaking systems, which is a completely different thing. From a mechanical standpoint, dedicated servers have so many advantages over players hosting games that to argue it's anything other than a superior experience is just silly. If you want to argue that some server admins are assholes who abuse their power, then that's fine and I'm right there with you, but that, again, is a different discussion.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Doom972 said:
Ah...hehe...yeah...our TF2 match was hacked to shreds the other night, snipers running around meleeing everyone with super speed and all-crits.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't really understand how this prevents cheating or hacking. If anything, there is little or no anti-cheat on P2P connection. But then again, I'm no expert on security. I only know that hacking on a dedicated server becomes hard as they update things like punkbuster to compensate for new hacking techniques. Well, not that I thought it wouldn't be, but having a system that is a shit idea for a game that will most likely be the same as the last seems like a poor idea.