Modern Warfare 3 Fan Fends Off Really Stupid Thief

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Modern Warfare 3 Fan Fends Off Really Stupid Thief

A Kansas City gamer is lucky he's not dead after fending off a pistol-packin' moron who wanted his copy of Modern Warfare 3.

This is a story of two gamers, each of whom really wanted a copy of Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320799668&sr=8-1], and the different ways they went about getting it. First up is Adam Freeman, who picked up his preordered copy of the game at a midnight launch event at GameStop, went back to his car and drove home like a normal person. And then there's David Morales, who also went to GameStop for the midnight launch, saw the stupidly huge lineup and decided to opt for a DIY express checkout instead.

Morales followed Freeman back to his apartment, using his red Ford Explorer to block him in when Freeman pulled into his parking spot. As Freeman got out of his car, Morales approached him and "racked a round" in his gun, shouting, "Give me the game!" in what we can only imagine was his best Steven Baldwin impression.

"Forget you!" Freeman replied - something along that line, anyway.

At that point, Morales "racked another round" for some reason, causing the first bullet to eject and fall to the ground. Perhaps Freeman saw that as his opening, or maybe he just decided that Morales was an idiot; whatever the case, he grabbed the gun by the barrel, they struggled for a bit, and then Morales ran back to his SUV and drove away. Freeman went to his apartment and called 911.

And that should be where this sad, sordid and silly tale ends, but it's not. After talking to Freeman, police went to the GameStop location where the big adventure began to see if the store had any surveillance footage that might have captured Morales' face. What they found was even better: a red Ford Explorer in the parking lot and a man matching Morales' description standing in line, waiting to buy the game. He was arrested and eventually copped to the attempted robbery.

As for Freeman, he said he reacted to the situation instinctively and acknowledged that it probably wasn't the smartest move to make. "If I had more time to think about it, I probably would have just given him the game," he said. "It's a wonderful game, but it's not worth dying over."

Source: HonestGamers [http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/08/3254386/northland-gamer-thwarts-gunmans.html]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
inb4 people say how stupid the thief is for trying to steal MW3 and not some other game.

BgRdMchne

Jun 24, 2011
Korten12 said:
inb4 people say how stupid the thief is for trying to steal MW3 and not some other game.
Don't forget about how stupid the victim was; grabbing a gun to protect his precious copy of MW3.

Shakaar9267

Look at me, I'm burning.
Nov 30, 2009
"It's a wonderful game, but it's not worth dying over."

Understatement of the year.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Korten12 said:
Nah, inb4 people complain about guns in America or something like that.

OT: Ok, I laughed. The guy who didn't hand over his game to a guy with a gun? Ballsy, if a bit foolish.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
It's only a game people. Chill the fuck out. I'm sure Bobby Kotick has plenty of them hidden in his evil lair made out everyone's money!

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.321995.13177560

This is why we should follow this guys advice. Guns are deadly, kangaroos would make the whole world safer.

OT: Eh, bit of a stupid thing to do on both sides. Still, no one hurt, so lets keep buggering on. [sup][sup][sup][sup]If someone turns this into another reason to hate MW3, I swear to God I'll turn my head inside out somehow.[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Hmmm? I'm torn. On the one hand, I want to berate Freeman for manhandling a gun to save his copy of MW3. On the other hand, kudos to him for copping to how stupid of an idea it was and that if he'd been thinking clearly he'd have just given Morales the game. So, I'm gonna put this into a tentative "win" for Freeman, for being smart enough to recognize what a dumb move that was. Hopefully, he will remember this lesson in the future if something similar ever happens again.

As for Morales, there is no debate. What an idiot. What a frelling idiot. In so many different ways.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
wow, lucky him. I'd imagine people with a gun pointed at you aren't that sympathetic, so he could have easily got killed, even if the criminal never intended for that to happen in the first place...

Well on the bright side at least he gets to play MW3 safely.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
inb4 someone name-drops skyrim

OT: Again...Doesn't really surprise me. People have already shown, they will go almost any lengths to get that game. Stolen truck, $1750 early copy of MW3...

Probably more to come.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Okay, I'm sure it isn't the case that loads of people are turning to crime to get their hands on MW3, but more the case that the media are just reporting more game-based crime than they do usually because of this high-profile release date, and that the statistics for this kind of crime are the same as they are the gets of the year.

But still...

What the f--k is wrong with all these CoD fans!!? Jesus, guys, it's just a game! It's just an average, run-of-the-mill first person shooter, not the secret to alchemy!!!

First someone pays nearly $2000 to get a copy a day early, then two trucks get robbed by gunpoint, now this!?

Just... gah... I give up...

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
BgRdMchne said:
Korten12 said:
Don't forget about how stupid the victim was; grabbing a gun to protect his precious copy of MW3.
Although in his defence he had to act instantly, and he does say given more time he probably would have given the game to the dude. I know if I just spent a lot of money on something I wouldn't give it away lightly to some moron.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
"A-ha I have a bullet in the chamber to shoot you with but incase you missed it the first time allow me to cock my pistol again just for good measure".

The safest bet would have been to engage him in a 2 minute conversation until he racked all the rounds out of his gun .... then laugh at him as you beat him with a copy of MW3.

Perhaps it's best if he avoids multiplayer if he struggles with guns that much.

I love stupid people.