Modern Warfare 3 Getting Dedicated Anti-Cheating Teams

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Getting Dedicated Anti-Cheating Teams

Infinity Ward hates Call of Duty cheaters just as much as the players do.

Robert Bowling, Infinity Ward's creative strategist, says that the studio has learned its lesson from previous Call of Duty games, and is taking extra steps to curtail cheating in Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317125620&sr=8-1]. Bowling says that MW3 will have dedicated teams that look for anyone who is cheating and deal with them accordingly.

The teams won't be the game's only line of defense though; Bowling says Modern Warfare 3 will have improved code that checks for people using hacks in game, as well as using Steam's VAC - or Valve Anti-Cheat - technology. "There's been a lot of work put into it. I can't go into specifics. On a general high level area there's so much more stuff that we've locked down and made less accessible than we had before," he said.

"It's also about our ability to take action when stuff is wrong so we've done a lot of work in our ability to update the game more quickly and efficiently than we have before," he added.

While it's not deliberately designed to do so, returning to dedicated servers will also go a long way to keeping cheaters out of people's games. Having a dedicated server won't stop cheating directly, but it will allow admins to boot the offending player out of the game and let everyone else have their fun.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: GameSpy [http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/call-of-duty-2011-project/1196687p2.html]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Steam's VAC didn't really help the short time I played MW2 online.

Aimbotting and speed hacking along with exp hacking is among those I encountered.

I joined server, shot 1 guy and suddenly I lvled up to 70 :|

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Not to mention if its a cheat server or similar, where the guy hosting it is the hacker/cheat.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Now, if only they could fix glitches and exploits within a few months of them being discovered and used.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
It's about damn time!

There are more hacked/cheat servers in Modern Warfare games than any other I have played.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Wonder exactly what these people are going to do, and how reliable they'll be for kicking out cheaters and not kicking out non-cheaters.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Thank you Infinity Ward! You're officially redeemed in my eyes for the Elite atrocity.

Fitzcaraldo

Member of three secret societies
Feb 2, 2011
Oh god, I hope this works. The amount of times I've logged into a server only to find that I can run a million kilometres an hour and am in possession of an RPG that fires multiple rounds per second is staggering. Servers like those are just boring and stupid. Although there was that one cool hacked server where everyone had finger guns...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Miles000 said:
It's about damn time!

There are more hacked/cheat servers in Modern Warfare games than any other I have played.
Ya, only other place I found hacked servers was TF2 on the xbox.....Yes, I played TF2 on the xbox in the start, don't judge me! >.>

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Going back to dedicated servers will help a lot, then server owners will not only be able to boot offenders (as mentioned in the post) but also be able add their own anti-cheat software. I remember back playing CoD4, our server had a really good anti-cheat system.

SweetNess_666

Sep 2, 2009
Really really hope this works it'll be so much better for casual players that don't spend every hour there awake looking for exploits and glitches to ruin the game for everyone else :)

Miles000

Apr 18, 2010
therandombear said:
Miles000 said:
It's about damn time!

Ya, only other place I found hacked servers was TF2 on the xbox.....Yes, I played TF2 on the xbox in the start, don't judge me! >.>
I played TF2 on the xbox too.... once. Then got bored.

Only other game I've ever had hacked was World at War, and th..... oh wait. Still Call of Duty... -_-

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Logan, was this a quote from Bowling, or your comment ?

While it's not deliberately designed to do so, returning to dedicated servers will also go a long way to keeping cheaters out of people's games. Having a dedicated server won't stop cheating directly, but it will allow admins to boot the offending player out of the game and let everyone else have their fun.

If its Bowlings' comment, I must laugh at the irony, or hypocrisy even, of it all as he told press that removing the servers from MW2 PC was to prevent cheating, that IWNet would provide a cheat free environment.

The real reason dedicated servers, run on community racks, can reduce cheating is that the community has invested reason to eliminate players that cheat and so they monitor the game more closely than the publishers... not to mention that a community run server only needs to monitor thier own servers, not every server out there.

Miles000

Apr 18, 2010
Findlebob said:
They should go and have a look at call of duty 4's multiplayer.
That is beyond help.

30% of COD4s servers are hacked these days. Kind of sucks when I want to go back and play the best of the series :(

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
therandombear said:
VAC was doomed from the start with MW2, it's a very effective system, but it is reliant on having admins on servers to hand out instant retribution and generate event logs for it to work with.

Since MW2 allowed neithre private servers nor admin decision, VAC was/is limited to operating at it's timed updates, which does remove hackers effectively, but that's no good to you the player as it's only once a month.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
therandombear said:

Aimbotting and speed hacking along with exp hacking is among those I encountered.

I joined server, shot 1 guy and suddenly I lvled up to 70 :|
A server did that to me, cheesed me right off!

Yay for dedicated servers though, sick of ending up on servers being hosted off some guys 56k modem.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Well, this should be interseting. Can't wait for November 8.
Good thing Gears 3 will keep me occupied until then.

Off Topic: Captcha: "votede 59-60." WTF?