Modern Warfare 3; Living up to the legacy?

moh21

Jul 25, 2009
I find myself wanting to hate MW3 right from the start, it looks quite promising, they're implementing some new features, but after Black ops, my trust in cod games has been a bit shaky. I still remember the great experiences I have had playing modern warfare 2 and COD 4(before it became so modded that I couldn't play a real match).So, anybody have any thoughts on MW3?

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
It's gonna be a Modern Warfare game.
Nuff said.

And yes this can be interpretated by everyone's own perspective.

I.e. you like it or you don't, perhaps you're in the middle but it's still another MW game.
Personally I thought BLOPS was fine, MW2 was more annoying with it's multiplayer, but it was bearable.
MW3, it's gonna be shooting some Russians, shooting some other threats, it's about disarming bombs, flying in blackhawks and lots and lots of bullet shells flying around.

I bet the multiplayer also features Noob-tubing, quick-scoping and dodgy places in the maps.
Plus, on the consoles you have alot less problems with modders / cheaters / glitchers.

SO yeah, I prefer my console over the pc. Even though that means I have to stick up with the 12 year old birmingham accented screaming kids. (No offense to actual birminghamers, but like... Screaming 12 year olds all sound the same :p I had to pick an accent.)

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Wait? Everyone would complain if it was a straight port of MW2 and you're complaining because they are changing stuff?

moh21 said:
... but after Black ops...
Remember, Black Ops was made by Treyarch (and totally not Activision) and MW2/MW3 by Infinity Ward

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
I like some of the tweaks that was made to the multiplayer in Black Ops, but it looks like Modern Warfare 3 is just going to be like Modern Warfare 2, except with different killstreaks and maps. So the whole game seems like a massive expansion pack to me.
(Apparently there will be no Commando Perk as well. Boo.)
But that's just my opinion.

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Same shit, different day!

I really don't see anything all that different from this release, but then again I'm no aficionado on the genre and like my FPS games to be more fun than anything else - I love Resistance 3 so far the most this year.

I am glad that BF3 is starting to get he old rolled eye and maybe MW3 will too so they will inject some life into the combat sims or just make them fun and unique and not just annual holiday roll outs.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
TimeLord said:
Wait? Everyone would complain if it was a straight port of MW2 and you're complaining because they are changing stuff?

moh21 said:
Remember, Black Ops was made by Activision and MW2/MW3 by Infinity Ward
Black Ops was made by Treyarch actually.

OT: It will be the same as MW2 and Black Ops, a generic, functioning shooter, nothing more.

Spec Ops looks ok, but it's not enough to warrant a purchase IMO.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
TimeLord said:
moh21 said:
Remember, Black Ops was made by Activision and MW2/MW3 by Infinity Ward
Black Ops was made by Treyarch.

OT: I'm not getting Modern Warfare 3 because I already know Battlefield 3 will be better and I don't need them both. I'm not a big fan of the Infinity Ward CoD's anyway. I did love CoD4 but MW2 was an unbalanced pile of shit. I much prefer Treyarch's Call of Duty games, I think they're more balanced.

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
OT: I'm not getting Modern Warfare 3 because I already know Battlefield 3 will be better and I don't need them both. I'm not a big fan of the Infinity Ward CoD's anyway. I did love CoD4 but MW2 was an unbalanced pile of shit. I much prefer Treyarch's Call of Duty games, I think they're more balanced.[/quote]

i tick box..........5 I STRONGLEY AGREE, good thing about MW is they gona shit those out every year now so if within the next decade the come up with anything that can beat BF3 ill have a look at it.
Assuming the same time gap we had between BF2 and BF3 will apply for BF4 (yea yea i know there where tons of others but still)

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
JochemDude said:
CoD

Same shit, different day.

Wether you find said shit entertaining is up to you.
Never have I seen a comment so spot on and short to the point.
Hats of to you sir.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
I find that the CoD series is stagnating. The Bad company games were Tech demos to me for Dice to get used to the Frostbite engine and developing on consoles, but Battlefield 3 in my opinion brings (Most of) everything that Dice has learned up to this point (still need a bit of work on SP, but BF3 SP wasn't terribad, just a bit bland) and pushed it.

That I feel is the difference between CoD's yearly releases and Battlefields. CoD was already "Perfect" in the eyes of Infinity ward around the CoD4 era, and all they did onwards was imbalance it further. I havent played much of the treyarch games but from the PC gaming communities that I stay in I hear that they actually manage to get the balance right by the end, rather than nerfing a few things, making a few more things OP and then calling victory because you sold 500 million copies to hordes of little wannabe hardcore gamers' parents.

Jun 11, 2008
Ruwrak said:
Nuff said.

I.e. you like it or you don't, perhaps you're in the middle but it's still another MW game.
Personally I thought BLOPS was fine, MW2 was more annoying with it's multiplayer, but it was bearable.
MW3, it's gonna be shooting some Russians, shooting some other threats, it's about disarming bombs, flying in blackhawks and lots and lots of bullet shells flying around.

I bet the multiplayer also features Noob-tubing, quick-scoping and dodgy places in the maps.
Plus, on the consoles you have alot less problems with modders / cheaters / glitchers.

SO yeah, I prefer my console over the pc. Even though that means I have to stick up with the 12 year old birmingham accented screaming kids. (No offense to actual birminghamers, but like... Screaming 12 year olds all sound the same :p I had to pick an accent.)
There is no problem with modders or glitchers on the PC and neither of those terms are synonyms for cheaters. Even at cheating I have never seen as as big of an issue as people make it out to be. The only games where it comes close to how it is made out to be is on older games and even then it is only now that they are old.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Glademaster said:
There is no problem with modders or glitchers on the PC and neither of those terms are synonyms for cheaters. Even at cheating I have never seen as as big of an issue as people make it out to be. The only games where it comes close to how it is made out to be is on older games and even then it is only now that they are old.
Hmmm.. Allow me to place it into context. With cheaters I mean the type of person that has the 1 kill= 9999 score for his team. I've seen it happen quite a few times, and dispite I find myself on the winning side I find it very distastefull. I want to play a game, not slouch back and win. If you would go to the top leaderboards you'll see that the top 900 players or so (probably more) all have the same score. Something like 97865840 points. Exactly the same score, up to the digit.

And by modders & glitchers I mean the type of people with aimbots and wall-xrays. But I'm digging very deep into my memories here, havn't played an online shooter in a long time on the PC. For that reason exact.

Not saying to burn all of those people or open up a witchhunt. I just find it annoying since I want to genuinly play a game where people can't shoot me around the corner. I'm aware of the hitboxes beeing generally biased in MW2 and I know that my connection isn't the best but when I am past 2 corners and I see it back on the killcam. It makes me scratch my head and wonder what happened.

And on a sidenote, when I type words seperated with a '/' I'm not intending it to be a synonym. I mean it as "modders or glitcher or cheaters". So there's the problem where you think I define cheaters & glitchers under the same name. Which I am not ;)

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Eh.

That's really all I have to say.

I don't think COD deserves the hate it gets. It's a fucking well made, tight and polished game. It's just way too twitchy. I used to play online during the first COD and it was heaven. COD4 changed the whole genre for the better.

But the rest of them? It's gotten a bit stale for me I'm afraid.

I find Battlefield 3 far more appealing. Huge maps, diverse gameplay and epic environments won't ever get old. COD's twitchy arcade shooter gets old very fast.

Having said that, I always to enjoy a bit of COD. I will eventually play MW3 - just not anytime soon.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Ruwrak said:
Nuff said.

That's really the only answer you can give that's not a load of crapfilled opinions.

Jun 11, 2008
Ruwrak said:
Glademaster said:
Hmmm.. Allow me to place it into context. With cheaters I mean the type of person that has the 1 kill= 9999 score for his team. I've seen it happen quite a few times, and dispite I find myself on the winning side I find it very distastefull. I want to play a game, not slouch back and win. If you would go to the top leaderboards you'll see that the top 900 players or so (probably more) all have the same score. Something like 97865840 points. Exactly the same score, up to the digit.

And by modders & glitchers I mean the type of people with aimbots and wall-xrays. But I'm digging very deep into my memories here, havn't played an online shooter in a long time on the PC. For that reason exact.

Not saying to burn all of those people or open up a witchhunt. I just find it annoying since I want to genuinly play a game where people can't shoot me around the corner. I'm aware of the hitboxes beeing generally biased in MW2 and I know that my connection isn't the best but when I am past 2 corners and I see it back on the killcam. It makes me scratch my head and wonder what happened.

And on a sidenote, when I type words seperated with a '/' I'm not intending it to be a synonym. I mean it as "modders or glitcher or cheaters". So there's the problem where you think I define cheaters & glitchers under the same name. Which I am not ;)
Well then you mean to say hackers instead of modders and glitchers. Modders make maps and total conversion mods and glitchers find mad jumps and stuff you shouldn't be able to normally do in the game.
example of mods
example of glitches/trick jumpsTo be honest if you get to those places in the game during a game without getting shot you deserve a couple of kills

Now the scores thing on the PC only happened in WaW where some servers gave you insane points for doing next to nothing. So yes there is a problem with hackers but not so much the others.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Glademaster said:
Well then you mean to say hackers instead of modders and glitchers. Modders make maps and total conversion mods and glitchers find mad jumps and stuff you shouldn't be able to normally do in the game.
example of mods
example of glitches/trick jumpsTo be honest if you get to those places in the game during a game without getting shot you deserve a couple of kills

Now the scores thing on the PC only happened in WaW where some servers gave you insane points for doing next to nothing. So yes there is a problem with hackers but not so much the others.
The scores thing did happen on the Xbox360 with MW2. As I said, I don't play online shooter on the pc since I have had enough of all them hackers (as you call them, I call em modders but that's a whole other non-relevant discussion.) so I ditched my PC when it comes to shooters generally.

I was recounting my personal experiences with shooters on the PC. It's what I percieve and is subject to 'bad luck' with run-ins. If you say it's a whole lot less problems I believe you. But I'm not going back to PC gaming because... WEll I guess I have a prejudice against it, and probably will have that for a long long long long time. I have no problems with people adding a new color to their gun or getting to places wehre they should not be able to get normally. I have a problem with people who exploit it to an annoyance. I.e. shooting through concrete walls by lying in a specific spot so you can't get hit but you can hit them. Stuff like that.

Or aimbots, clipping, seeing through walls or score adjusters (note, on the xbox there are no custom player servers.. Or well I never looked far enough, I just wanna be in the MW2 official servers and get exp n suches. (Yeah I'm a sucker for the achieving music.) And frankly, those things annoy me to shreds. But that's my opinion.

I know there are servers for the PC where you can do mods and such (probably anyway.) And that is the reason I don't go there. And... Wait, I get the feeling we're going in circles here. What's the point? :p

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
moh21 said:
I find myself wanting to hate MW3 right from the start, it looks quite promising, they're implementing some new features, but after Black ops, my trust in cod games has been a bit shaky. I still remember the great experiences I have had playing modern warfare 2 and COD 4(before it became so modded that I couldn't play a real match).So, anybody have any thoughts on MW3?
You are hopefully aware that Black Ops were developed by Treyarch, while the entire Modern Warfare series is developed by Infinity Ward, right?

It's different developers, so naturally there is going to be differences between the games.