Modern Warfare 3 - Opinion and Fixes

HappyPillz

Apr 15, 2009
----------Possible Spoilers-----------

Campaign:

After playing through the MW3 campaign, I quickly came to the conclusion that it's about time CoD was marketed as multiplayer only. After World at War, each campaign has become more and more embarassing, getting shorter and less believable. The campaign in MW3 takes it to a new low.

I haven't played any other game in my life with such a complete lack of immersion. Every few minutes I'd think, "Isn't this mission from World at War/CoD4?" or "Didn't this exact same thing happen 5 minutes ago?". It was really bad when I instantly recognized buildings or layouts from previous games, with no attemp made at all to disguise them. When you add in just how unbelievable almost everything that happens is, it was just a constant stream of disappointment, not at all helped by the awful AI. In a way, the game is doing us a favor by it being only 4-5 hours long.

Multiplayer:

You'd think that given the multiplayer focus of MW3, that they would have put a bit more effort in to creativity. Instead it's just a copy paste of MW2, with all the same problems. Within my first three games I had been gunned down by swarms of campers, knifed from ten feet away, and noob tubed from across the map. On my fourth game I was put straight to the losing team of a game that finished thirty seconds later.

The maps are mostly too complex, reducing the enjoyability immensly (And on a petty note, have dumb names). There was very little originality too. The maps seem to be just previous maps fused together, or re-skins. I was hoping for something different, yet still simple, like if they had included the sandstorm level from the campaign. That would have been awesome.

My Multiplayer Fixes:

Camping - Because camping is an actual strategy and not a game mechanic, It's a bit harder to deal with without going overboard. But I'd fix it like so: whenever a player takes a shot, am invisible circle appears around them. For every consecutive shot they fire within that circle, their red dot stays longer on the enemy min-map, eventually staying there until their death.

Melee - Melee is supposed to be a stealth kill, like in CoD4, usually useless unless you are lucky. In no way should it be able to replace your gun. A bit of a hybrid system would work here. Melee is only lethal if your target is stationary. If they are moving then it becomes a stun attack that buys you time to pull out your gun and shoot.

Noob Tubes - This ones easy: players cannot move with their grenade launcher equipped. If they take a step, they automatically go back to bullets. Or maybe they can't run, but can still walk. Either.

Other - Remove akimbo completely. There are no guns that aren't unbalanced when used with akimbo. Also remove all guns that havent been used in combat after the year 2000. How does it make sense that they got rid of the Vector, but they kept the Model 1887s?

Quickscoping - Snipers get no aim assist. (I don't know if they do in MW3. Maps aren't very sniper friendly so I haven't used them much)

Entering Losing Games - If a game has less than 3 minutes left, or the objective is nearing completion, a promt should appear asking players if they want to join that game. The number of times where I get thrown into a game that ends within ten seconds is ridiculous, and it counts as a loss for you.
That is all.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
HappyPillz said:
Quickscoping - Snipers get no aim assist.
Please Jesus stop comparing quickscoping with the scumbaggery of noob tubes and camping. Quickscoping is a SKILL, not a glitch. Sniper Rifles already have no aim assist when scoped in, which is when the shot is taken. There is only a slight aim assist while scoping in, which only slightly aids in the accuracy of a quickscope. The majority of it's accuracy is based upon the skill of the Sniper.

I've been sniping in CoD for 5 years now. Sniping is in no way overpowered in this game. Quite the opposite, actually, since the maps are EXTREMELY unfriendly to sniping. You yourself admit that. No matter how good a sniper is, they could still perform better using any automatic weapon instead just based upon the map design of MW3.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Noob tubes have been severally nerfed to the point where more or less only a direct hit kills. I should know, I've been using them.

Quick scoping annoys me but what annoys me more is that you can gets ACOG scope for any sniper at level two! And that means people can run around with what is basically a one hit kill M14.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
TheKasp said:
Add the option to change the FoV. It is one of the worst FPS for the PC that came out this year simply because of the 65° FoV which you can't change.
I don't know why FOV is such a big deal to everyone, or why it can't go in the console versions but can (and therefore SHOULD OR ELSE IS BAD PC PORT) on the PC.

OT: Yeah, I agree that CoD should go multiplayer, and probably Battlefield along with it. But how else do you want Activision to frame their six-hour multiplayer tutorials? You might as well get a movie thrown in with them, even if it was clearly co-directed by Uwe Boll and Michael Bay.

Eccentric_Jon

Jun 20, 2010
Search & Destroy spawn points need fixing. I played a game with a friend of mine the day of launch, and the person who gets the first kill can (and in his case did) pin the other down, killing them as soon as they spawn....

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
I think it's great.

The only thing killing it for me is the lag.
Pretty much. The lag can get pretty damned annoying, as can the ridiculous amount of lost connections at times. Other than that, my only other issue is the completely horrible spawns you can get. It's pretty awesome spawning and getting killed by a guy that ran around the corner just after you hit respawn.

Eccentric_Jon said:
Search & Destroy spawn points need fixing. I played a game with a friend of mine the day of launch, and the person who gets the first kill can (and in his case did) pin the other down, killing them as soon as they spawn....
You don't respawn in Search & Destroy?

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Just finished playing the Modern Warfare 3 campaign from start to finish, and all I have to say is this:

Damn.

I'm glad I finally finished this series but...damn.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
My friend bought me MW3 so I can see what all the hype (multiplayer) is about. Let's put it this way, I'm still looking.

The multiplayer is so meh, I can't give it either a recommendation nor a discouragement. It reminds me of peggle or bejewled. I'm not exactly having fun, but I continue it anyways. There's almost zero strategy besides the obvious, and a lot relies on where you spawn. It's mindless and a filler.

I also don't get why people get so infuriated with all the "unbalances". This is a game where you're going to be killed a bunch and kill a bunch. Sure, someone may get a quick kill with one shot, but when he rounds the corner, he's going to get mowed down. Those who "noobtube" might get a kill or two, but it'll be balanced out in the end if that's his only strategy. Who cares when you know you're going to kill him more often than he kills you.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
uh, CoD is advertised as both. did you watch any live streams of the game? we weren't watching live streams of campaign. they streamed team deathmatch. Call of Duty fans (myself included) are basically going to buy the new game regardless of how much advertising they do for the multiplayer aspects. That said, there were multiple multiplayer feature trailers out prior to the game's release and I think you're being a bit silly if you suggest that MW3 was primarily advertised as a single-player experience. i'm pretty sure I even heard a member of infinity ward say that he knew fans stuck around for the multiplayer. they're under no delusions over there.

also, your camping fix is literally insane. if someone is camping with a silenced weapon, why should other players be notified of their location? if a player is camping, don't enter their lane after you've identified their strategy.
i also don't think that "noob tubes" are that much of an issue in mw3. personally, i don't use them, and i haven't encountered or been annoyed with too many players who have.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm sorry but what game are you playing?
All the akimbos are absolute garbage in MW3, their piss poor accuracy low damage and non existent range is laughable compared to the 2-3 shots from the assault rifles and sub machine guns.
Melee, I don't know about consoles but on the PC the lunge is fairly small and really doesn't lock on as much as the previous iterations. Hell pure knifing it pretty much non existent now, a lack of infinite sprint and no lightweight has pretty much made knife only and even pure smg running damn near impossible.
Tubes are still garbage, you need pretty close to a dead on hit to kill someone, and even then most of the launchers are crap, try the air powered one, its takes 2-3 shots from it and the clip is only 4 rounds and it takes forever to reload.

The only thing I'd give you is quick scoping, I've seen some people on the PC do long range quick scopes and it is absolutely insane. The snipers in MW3 are actually really strong, its just that the maps are so small that they aren't effective. If the DLC ends up having larger maps I think we'll start seeing a lot more people pick up the sniper rifles.

I like the mechanics of MW3, but I absolutely hate the maps, there is way too much clutter.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
I personally loved the campaign. I think you're going a bit too form over function and content with it. The story and it's twists really immersed me, especially doing the chapter in France.
A russian ex-spetsnaz running alongside revolting french citizens as they storm an ultra-nationalist battalion with a mighty war-cry is just awe-inspiring. They were wearing skater helmets and sneakers, for gods sake, but were fighting with more glorified enthusiasm than I've seen anyone do the whole series through.

Videogames really are subjective...

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
HappyPillz said:
Please Jesus stop comparing quickscoping with the scumbaggery of noob tubes and camping. Quickscoping is a SKILL, not a glitch. Sniper Rifles already have no aim assist when scoped in, which is when the shot is taken. There is only a slight aim assist while scoping in, which only slightly aids in the accuracy of a quickscope. The majority of it's accuracy is based upon the skill of the Sniper.

I've been sniping in CoD for 5 years now. Sniping is in no way overpowered in this game. Quite the opposite, actually, since the maps are EXTREMELY unfriendly to sniping. You yourself admit that. No matter how good a sniper is, they could still perform better using any automatic weapon instead just based upon the map design of MW3.
Wrong ... lets watch xcal demonstrate this shit, watch as a number of kills actually miss there target. Go to 1 minute ...

Xcal almost never snipes, so it's not like he has honed his quick scoping abilities over many labored hours, hell I learned to do it in about 5 minutes (for if I get surprised).

I used to have a vid where a guy leaped off a building, span 2 or 3 times, scoped in slightly and killed the guy ... who was outside of the reticule. The uploader removed the vid from youtube though.

You are running round with a 1 shot (at any range), auto aiming rifle ... how are you weak against people who are using a gun which takes 2 or 3 bullets to kill at close to medium range.

Say what you will but quickscoping is all down to aim assist, try it on another shooter that lacks aim assist and see how much harder it is.

My problem is the maps are cluttered and tight, there is no room to see people coming or anything. You end up being flanked or swarmed so easily.

Noob tubes should be removed from this game, there is no reason for it to be in it. Nades can kill people behind cover, noob tubes just promote launching a nade across map for a lucky kill/unfair death.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
omega 616 said:
You are running round with a 1 shot (at any range), auto aiming rifle ... how are you weak against people who are using a gun which takes 2 or 3 bullets to kill at close to medium range.

Say what you will but quickscoping is all down to aim assist, try it on another shooter that lacks aim assist and see how much harder it is.
If you believe this is how it works, then you should start quickscoping all the time, because it sounds awesome to me. Unfortunately, this simply isn't true. You die before you can scope in to take the shot in MW3. I wish that weren't the case, but it is. Like I said, I've been sniping a very long time and I'm quite good at it by now, but even I struggle in MW3. It's simply not possible to outgun a good player with an automatic weapon the majority of the time.

Again, quickscoping is not entirely based upon aim assist. It's about 80% skill/20% aim assist give or take a few percentage points.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Just remove aim assist, changing reticule, etc, altogether. It's often not so much a problem with the weapons, as with the way that aim assist makes it easy for everyone to get a kill, and accuracy isn't affected by movement much.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
omega 616 said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
HappyPillz said:

Wrong ... lets watch xcal demonstrate this shit, watch as a number of kills actually miss there target. Go to 1 minute ...

Xcal almost never snipes, so it's not like he has honed his quick scoping abilities over many labored hours, hell I learned to do it in about 5 minutes (for if I get surprised).

I used to have a vid where a guy leaped off a building, span 2 or 3 times, scoped in slightly and killed the guy ... who was outside of the reticule. The uploader removed the vid from youtube though.

My problem is the maps are cluttered and tight, there is no room to see people coming or anything. You end up being flanked or swarmed so easily.

Noob tubes should be removed from this game, there is no reason for it to be in it. Nades can kill people behind cover, noob tubes just promote launching a nade across map for a lucky kill/unfair death.
Decided to watch the video at 1:00 onwards just as you said and found this particular kill quite interesting, managed to capture it using my 1337 Youtube and photoshop skills to bring you this:

Not that I'm weighing in for or against quickscoping, but that is some blatantly heavy aim-assist