Modern Warfare 3 Tops Redbox Most Rented List

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Modern Warfare 3 Tops Redbox Most Rented List

But the game at position number two might surprise you.

The time of year has come for retail outlets to start pumping out lists of their bestsellers for the year. It's a December ritual I look forward to as much as wrapping a seemingly endless pile of gifts and vacuuming up reindeer fur. For those of you keeping score, Redbox has only been renting games through its iconic kiosks since June 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111137-Redbox-Now-Offers-Nationwide-Game-Rentals], but that doesn't stop them from reporting what games have been the most popular for Walmart goers. Redbox's list of most-rented games of 2011 isn't all that surprising - Modern Warfare 3, ho hum - until you get to number two. Just Dance 3? Really?

I like dancing games as much as the next hetero-sexual male, but after seeing Amazon's list with not one but two Just Dance titles on it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114694-Amazon-Ranks-Best-Selling-Games-of-2011] and now this Redbox list. Wait, Cars 2 for the Wii is ranked 4th. And WTF, The Smurfs Dance Party was rented from Red Box more than Skyrim?

Ok, I can safely ignore this list. Or at least realize that this list represents a much different section of gamers than I usually encounter. For that reason, this Redbox list is like looking through the bars at chimpanzees at the zoo. Ooh look, they actually use their Wii.

The list of Redbox's most rented games of 2011, in all of its natural glory:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360)
Just Dance 3 (Wii)
Dead Island (Xbox 360)
Cars 2 (Wii)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (PS3)
Brink (Xbox 360)
The Smurfs Dance Party (Wii)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Xbox 360)
Call of Duty Black Ops (Xbox 360)
Transformers Dark of the Moon (Xbox 360)

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/39174/Redboxs_Most_Rented_Game_of_2011_Was_Modern_Warfare_3.php?]

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Is anyone really surprised by this article? It's hardly news. This is the time of year that this happens, and this is the only thing I hate about this time of year.

A little psychology side note. People are more likely to purchase something they know a lot of other people have purchased, it's a subconscious signal that these things are better than other counterparts. It's completely subconscious and no one has any control over it. It's a determination bias and as such, publishing what is popular reinforces the idea that games that sell well are better games, which is patently false in most cases. By publishing this, you literally reduce the amount of sales smaller games will get. Good job media, fuck it up some more. :p

DeMorquist

Dec 15, 2011
The amount of "news" that include the word "Call of Duty" on The Escapist...

Why...To be exact... Who cares! Good to see people still rent games..I suppose that is the only good side to this story but still... We get it...the sheeple bought MW3

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Seeing the Smurfs that high up on that list is sad.

People did realize it was a bad movie, right? So why would a game based on a bad movie be any better?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The Plunk said:
Most of the Escapist may hate CoD, but I'm sure we can all agree that it's better than Just Dance or Cars.
HOW DARE YOU INSLUT THE GREATNESS OF DANCING AND CARS AND SAY cod IS BETTER THAN THESE THINGS GIVEN TO US BY GOD!!!!1111??????

Yeah those games pretty much confused me too.
I guess people rent stuff they are not sure about, wonder how many pieces they sell after it's been rented that much? xD

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Ghostwise said:
I "rented" Skyrim on release night at midnight from Redbox with the intention of keeping the game. My xbox account was hacked 2 weeks later and I was forced to cancel my debit card. I contacted Redbox CS and they told me it was an early christmas present. Their system won't allow for a return because the card was declined and the account locked. They also informed me that they never send accounts to collections which I thought was rather odd for them to tell someone. I even offered to send them a check or transfer the charge to my new card but they refused and said Merry Christmas! Skyrim...$2. I can dig it.
If that had been for the PC...oh, how I would envy you so much. Hell, I still kind of do T_T