Modern Warfare Mask Lands French Soldier in Trouble

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Thedutchjelle said:
I might side with the French government here though.

He was on duty and a representative of France. He should've just worn his normal outfit. Yes, the army should've provided scarves themselves, but wearing a skullmask is a bit insensitive on the soldier's part.

If you were a regular there with perhaps little to no information to current events, would you trust foreign soldiers with Assault Rifles and Tanks? It's better to keep a somewhat friendly face to the local population.
I think their garb is somewhat irrelevant in the wider context. Besides, from what the news is reporting the locals are giving French troops a very warm reception regardless.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
He should get in trouble.

A Frenchman, impersonating an Englishman? I won't stand for it what.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Blunderboy said:
He should get in trouble.

A Frenchman, impersonating an Englishman? I won't stand for it what.
It's almost as though they think they're people!

Cute... but offensive.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
I'm from Canada.

We don't go around other people's country wearing death masks.

It's just not done. (and it's impolite).

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
The Anthromomorphic Personification Committee have recently called a press conference, in which it is expected that they will apologise for the image taken of Death wearing a beret.

I wouldnt want to be in thier shoes. If this makes thier day just a tiny bit more entertaining, then let 'em have it.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
I won't pretend to know anything about French military politics, but aren't the French Foreign Legion mercenaries?
No, but they used to have a fairly open policy to who they let in. Years gone by, criminals would take joining the Legion as a way to escape authorities.

Jokes about the French aside, the Legion are pretty bad-ass. Not one of his fellow soldiers will rat him out, that's for sure.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Can't help but think of the Mitchell and Webb SS officers skit.

"Hans, are we the baddies?"

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Soldiers fight on behalf of the people for our continued peace, safety and freedom.

I'm allowed to act rude, spout nonsense, pretend i'm cool or stupid or silly, this is freedom, and i won't deny those rights to the people who fucking defend them for me. Sorry to the rich leaders who feel they are being represented improperly, but the army is made up of the people, the government just organizes it.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
Sometimes a scarf is just a scarf. People are dying over there, but let's talk about this scarf. I guess its my own fault for clicking the link.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
When I read this story, the first thing I thought about was a quote from Apocalypse Now.

"We train young men to drop fire on people... but their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it's obscene."

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Al-Bundy-da-G said:
Legion said:
It doesn't seem like they were trying to be "cool" or anything, but you'd have thought they'd be given standard issue scarves to wear for these kinds of things.
They do but most times soldiers will buy they're own gear such as boots, scarves, and underclothes because the standard issue is usually low quality.
As a US Airman i support this message. So does my closet

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
"We are going to restore order by shooting any mofo who is against order"
"But dont think that means we encourage people to think we are killing folks!

FRENCH LOGIC!

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
tmande2nd said:
"We are going to restore order by shooting any mofo who is against order"
"But dont think that means we encourage people to think we are killing folks!

FRENCH LOGIC!
You realize some organizations want to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism regardless of what the job actually entails, right? You don't see HR directors walking around with strap-on dildos. Anyway,
Soldier wearing Modern Warfare mask in the middle of a firefight: psychopath.
Soldier wearing Modern Warfare mask to protect his face from sand: video game fan.

I'm with the guys who say leave him alone.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
It's hardly a surprising choice of couture for a relatively young man who, when you get down to it, is is paid to kill people on behalf of his government; when death is your business, a death's head motif is a natural fit.
Huh, he seems to be writing this article under the silly impression that the french are capable of violence.
What a silly fellow.

OT: This is just dumb, for so many reasons.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Machine Man 1992 said:
I won't pretend to know anything about French military politics, but aren't the French Foreign Legion mercenaries?
Technically, yes. They're professional soldiers, and aren't even required to have the French nationality.
As long as you're physically competent enough, and understand enough French to understand an angry guy shouting at you, you'll be fine.
It's the French solution for putting (often colonial) hard-asses to good use. Historically it ended up being a unit filled with adventurers, fugitive criminals, and ex-soldiers from the various North African countries once colonised by France.

el_kabong said:
When I read this story, the first thing I thought about was a quote from Apocalypse Now.

"We train young men to drop fire on people... but their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it's obscene."
Pretty much this. They're sent over there in order to kill people when the need arises, and the moral police is having a shitfit over a scarf that wouldn't be offensive on a first-grader? Really?

Edit: Somehow I suspect the actual investigation is going to go precisely nowhere anyway. Some politician might find it beneficial to be offended, but I wouldn't be surprised that as soon as any attempts to trace the soldier enter the legion, they'll be conveniently lost in paperwork.