MoH: Warfighter Gets a Big Trailer and a Bigger Patch

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MoH: Warfighter Gets a Big Trailer and a Bigger Patch

Electronic Arts has something for you to watch while you wait for the massive Medal of Honor: Warfighter launch-day patch to download.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter [http://www.amazon.com/Warfighter-Limited-Edition-Exclusive-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SY5BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351009832&sr=8-1&keywords=medal+of+honor+warfighter] came out today and to celebrate the moment, Electronic Arts has unleashed a new trailer that focuses entirely on the single-player campaign. Dusty is back, along with his ridiculously big beard, as are Preacher, Mother and a whole host of international scumbags out to rain ill-will down upon the good people of the world. Cue deep voices, acronyms, smash cuts, explosions and gung-ho machismo so thick you could cut it with a K-Bar.

EA has also unleashed a day-one patch for the game that appears to be nothing short of gargantuan. I don't know how big it is but the list of changes includes new features and "general tweaks and fixes" to single and multiplayer modes, matchmaking, parties and platoons, weapons, "UI and user experience," visual polish, "miscellaneous fixes" and platform-specific fixes and updates for all versions of the game.

"This patch contains a slew of beneficial fixes to both the Single-Player Campaign as well as the Online Multiplayer Experience, and it is highly recommended that all players do what they can to download and install the patch to improve their experience," EA said in the patch information notes. A cynic might suggest that this game obviously wasn't ready for prime-time when EA pushed it out the door, but I certainly wouldn't want to go down that road myself.

Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners will be prompted to install the update automatically, while those of the PC persuasion will apparently have to use the "check for updates" option to pick it up. The full list of launch-day Warfighter changes is way too long to post here but if you're curious, you can get the lowdown from EA's online help section [https://help.ea.com/article/medal-of-honor-warfighter-day-1-patch-notes].

DemikidZA

Jul 4, 2011
Let it be said that I saw this coming and that almost every one of EA's games seems to come with 1-3 gig patches more often than they get hate mail

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm not going to say that the game was shipped unfinished and this patch just puts stuff back in. That's not fair. What I do believe is that the game was rushed in order to get it out before Black Ops 2. Meaning that while the core game was complete, balancing issues and graphical hiccups took a backseat in order to start shipping the disks.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
So sausage-fest again?
I'm kinda sick of this- where are ladies on the front line?
Ok, so they are generally weaker and slower? Great, let women pilot aircrafts and heavy vehicles then. Or maybe some support roles. Anywhere else where muscle strength isn't factor that limits efficiency.
Because there are around 5-35% of women in army. (depends on country, but average could be considered 10%)
So where are they in the "realistic" military shooters?

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
That trailer was about as underwhelming as a gnat's fart. It looks like something Tony Scott would direct, today. I love how it says "Based on actual events from the war on terror." I'd like to see what they referenced and how closely it was recreated in this game.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
I'm waiting for collector editions of games to come with a USB memory, so you can keep in the box and copy all the updates on it, so one day you can play the game if you want and not have to download everything again (or not be able to download it).
Especially if they're gonna keep sending clearly unfinished product to stores.

yourbeliefs said:
I love how it says "Based on actual events from the war on terror." I'd like to see what they referenced and how closely it was recreated in this game.
Well, there's apparently terrorists in it...so that's like something that might exists. Don't believe there's a need to say that though.
All kidding aside, they probably turned some real anti-terrorist operations into a missions and maps.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
...while those of the PC persuasion will apparently have to use the "check for updates" option to pick it up.
I would have thought that a game that requires Origin would update automatically?

anian said:
yourbeliefs said:
I love how it says "Based on actual events from the war on terror." I'd like to see what they referenced and how closely it was recreated in this game.
Well, there's apparently terrorists in it...so that's like something that might exists. Don't believe there's a need to say that though.
All kidding aside, they probably turned some real anti-terrorist operations into a missions and maps.
I know of one thing involving terrorists that Americans have been eager to wank off in front of the world recently...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
blackrave said:
So sausage-fest again?
Ok, so they are generally weaker and slower? Great, let women pilot aircrafts and heavy vehicles then. Or maybe some support roles. Anywhere else where muscle strength isn't factor that limits efficiency.
Because there are around 5-35% of women in army. (depends on country, but average could be considered 10%)
While women do serve in active combat roles, especially in countries like Canada (woot woot) where the ratio is one of the highest in the world, more often they are in support roles, truck drivers, engineer corps, and so on.

Or places like the Israeli Defense Force, where tehre is something like three years mandatory military service for every person in the country.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
blackrave said:
So sausage-fest again?
There are no woman in the special forces(for good reasons) most often portrayed by these games.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
blackrave said:
So sausage-fest again?
While women do serve in active combat roles, especially in countries like Canada (woot woot) where the ratio is one of the highest in the world, more often they are in support roles, truck drivers, engineer corps, and so on.

Or places like the Israeli Defense Force, where tehre is something like three years mandatory military service for every person in the country.
Was your comment intended as arguing or you were agreeing?
Or you just were providing additional information?
(it is kinda hard to get clear message)
Like I said, put women where you can- pilots, drivers, medics, etc.
Not 100%, no, but like 33% maybe.

P.S.That actually would be interesting setting where during long-term war men casualties were so high that no men were wasted on support roles- front-line infantry only for males, while anything else (pilots, drivers, medics, commanding personnel, etc.) would be 99% females.

rolfwesselius said:
blackrave said:
So sausage-fest again?
There are no woman in the special forces(for good reasons) most often portrayed by these games.
I never said about direct combat roles, but anything else have women in them.
Where are they?

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, it looks impressive, in terms of visuals, but still, overall, quite meh. I've had enough of the war on terror. I want another silly shooter. Take this tech, and use it for a game like Serious Sam. Not 3, that one's just too "Serious". More like the first two games.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
As banal as these things get. EA obviously wants people to buy this, but there's nothing unique about this game. Not one aspect that hasn't been done somewhere else. Literally NOTHING that sets it apart from competitors. Nothing we haven't seen before. Is this really what people are asking for? To be spoon-fed the same predictable, generic tripe? EA, what little respect I had for you has evaporated into thin air.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
blackrave said:
So sausage-fest again?
BF3 had you play a female pilot. And pretty sure this game focuses on the front line, where they aren't allowed in real life.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Wait, this is out already?

I literally have not heard a single thing about it outside of the one story about an analyst predicting it would fail.

And he has a point, because this game got no marketing.

TheRussian said:
As banal as these things get. EA obviously wants people to buy this, but there's nothing unique about this game. Not one aspect that hasn't been done somewhere else. Literally NOTHING that sets it apart from competitors. Nothing we haven't seen before. Is this really what people are asking for? To be spoon-fed the same predictable, generic tripe? EA, what little respect I had for you has evaporated into thin air.
You're a bit late. This kind of thing was cool to say back when Modern Warfare 2 came out.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
blackrave said:
So sausage-fest again?
Well, the last MoH did have a female Apache pilot, as did CoD4, and I think the fighter pilot you play as in Battlefield 3 was female too.

It's still not enough, not by a long shot, but there is some progress.

OT: I'll wait and see what the general consensus on this game is (once all the 'automatic hatred because EA' has been sifted through) before I decide to get it or not. I thought the last one was ok, if a bit too short, and I like that there seems to be more story in this one.

It's looking better than Black Ops 2 at any rate.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
blackrave said:
So sausage-fest again?
At the moment the majority of women fill support roles like you've stated. However most of the missions take place on the front line, thus you don't see alot of them. Not sure what you want really.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Roelof Wesselius said:
Oh boy, another misinformed and sexist comment regarding women in special ops. I don't know about other countries, but here in Canada, women can be on the JTF2 (our spec ops). Source: http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/mrj-mcf/index-eng.asp#myt-03

I believe even the USMC allows women to join, provided they can keep up with the men. It's probably mostly running, carrying heavy equipment and shooting accurately under hectic conditions. If you think a vagina hampers that, you're just stupid. And yes, MoH features the JTF2. On the other hand, calling it "realistic" in any way is a stretch. In most modern combat, you can't see your enemy well, if at all. In MoH, "long range combat" is probably around the 50 meter mark.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Slayer_2 said:
Roelof Wesselius said:
Oh boy, another misinformed and sexist comment regarding women in special ops. I don't know about other countries, but here in Canada, women can be on the JTF2 (our spec ops). Source: http://www.jtf2.forces.gc.ca/mrj-mcf/index-eng.asp#myt-03

I believe even the USMC allows women to join, provided they can keep up with the men. It's probably mostly running, carrying heavy equipment and shooting accurately under hectic conditions. If you think a vagina hampers that, you're just stupid. And yes, MoH features the JTF2. On the other hand, calling it "realistic" in any way is a stretch. In most modern combat, you can't see your enemy well, if at all. In MoH, "long range combat" is probably around the 50 meter mark.
How is what i said sexist?
In the dutch 'Korps Kommando Troepen' There are no woman because no woman has ever passed training, That's what i meant.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Roelof Wesselius said:
How is what i said sexist?
In the dutch 'Korps Kommando Troepen' There are no woman because no woman has ever passed training, That's what i meant.
You assumed that because your country may not have any female spec ops soldiers (to your knowledge), that the same goes for every other nation represented in the game. Also the part where you said "for good reasons" further supported the notion that women are inferior to men and cannot hold their own in a combat role simply because they are women.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
TheRussian said:
That's not strictly true, to their credit they've apparently got a new multiplayer thing going where you are teamed up with a squadmate that you can see and interact with at all times, to give the multiplayer a bit more teamplay and tactics. It could actually be really good if it works out.
On the other hand everything else is pretty much been there done that. Same scenery, same guns, same beardy men.
You know what? I think it's time we went back to Normandy.

Or y'know, one of the other wars humanity has been in. It's not like there aren't many to choose from.