Mojang Making Official Minecraft Legos

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Mojang Making Official Minecraft Legos

Mojang wants to give Minecraft builders the tools to take their creations into the real world.

Mojang is currently working with Lego to bring Minecraft into the physical world with an entire set of blocks fashioned after the ones in the game. The announcement came from Mojang spokesman Daniel Kaplan in the form of a Tweet. "We are working directly with Lego to make this happen," it read.

The collaboration stems from community support on Lego's Cuusoo website [http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/4038], which encourages fans to suggest ideas for new block sets or show their support for ones currently being considered. Needless to say, the Minecraft set found massive support as soon as it was posted. So much in fact, the site has been intermittently crashing from traffic since the announcement that Mojang is officially on the case.

"Seeing LEGO Minecraft sets is also our dream," wrote a representative of Mojang on the Cuusoo website, "so we linked to one of the projects. It's clear to us that there are many creative people with good ideas for this and we want to throw our own hat into the ring and start this project to bring the best LEGO Minecraft builders together."

Mojang has also promised any royalties it makes from the project to charity.

Minecraft and Lego are like peas and ... well, other peas. In fact, it seems such an obvious combination that I wonder how much fun this toy will actually be. Basically, builders will be building the island, so, grass, trees, and water. I seem to recall doing that with green, brown, and blue blocks with my regular Legos, and only as somewhere to park the mega robot death laser tank mech I just finished. Still, a lot of the fun in Legos comes from the aesthetics of different sets, so I'm sure there will be more than a couple of Minecrafters ready to line up at the toy shop.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-05-mojang-making-minecraft-lego-sets]

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Will creepers blow up my lego buildings? ):
If so, i'll have to play on peaceful again....

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
rekabdarb said:
Isn't...
isn't minecraft just legos... on the computer
Exactly my thoughts. Well said.
And to fill the necessary word requirement for a post so that it wouldn't be too short, A... Nevermind.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
At first I was excited but then I thought; How could minecraft lego be in any way different to normal lego?

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
So Virtual Lego - Lego

Paradox incoming!

Though this is probably a killer marketing move on both sides all the minecraft fans will buy it all and it will also introduce younger kids who are at a Lego age into buying Minecraft.

So its win win from a company point of view

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009

Who'd thunk it.

OT: Um...ok..better be cheap then for bunch of them. So people can build LOTR replicas with those aswell. ;)

Carlioo

Oct 19, 2011
Can't wait for my Lego Minecraft builds to be destroyed by Lego creepers....

I suppose this is cool though. Good job Mojang on working together with Lego. Seems like it was only yesterday when they released the first alpha of Minecraft...

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
4x4 minecraft block

?6999.99

Comes with insurance plan and technical specifications for your investment portfolio.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
Next up on the to-do list - Lego Minecraft - The Videogame
Now that leads us to Lego-Mine-Ception!

Meh ... certainly a decent marketing move, but yet again part of this whole Minecraft hype ... Nothing to get all jizzed about, or to even remotely consider 'important', imho.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
LEGO REDSTONE MECHANISMS HERE I COME

wait......this cannot work, it really is already virtual lego.
considering this, it will probably make lego more popular than ever, when it gets released in a year.

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
More Lego into the world? Well that's a good thing regardless, even with the baffling minecraft link.

Incidentally, and out of interest, is it only here in the UK where 'Lego' is used as both the singular and the plural? Reading (or even worse, hearing) 'Legos' is something I can never get used to.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
My only question is how it will be marketed, minecraft is famous online but in the real world not a lot of people even know it exists

Also:
LegoDudeGuy said:
My reaction:

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Wait I minute. This would all fall under the premise that Minecraft isn't essentially virtual Lego. Hm. Well than.
Cgull said:
More Lego into the world? Well that's a good thing regardless, even with the baffling minecraft link.

Incidentally, and out of interest, is it only here in the UK where 'Lego' is used as both the singular and the plural? Reading (or even worse, hearing) 'Legos' is something I can never get used to.
I am known to use Lego as plural.