Mojang, Square Enix, EA and Others Sued For Patent Infringement

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Mojang, Square Enix, EA and Others Sued For Patent Infringement

A small Texas-based company alleges that "Mindcraft" infringes on one of its many patents.

A company named Uniloc, which describes itself as "in the business of finding big ideas," has filed a suit against Minecraft developer, Mojang, claiming the Android edition of Mindcraft [sic] infringes on one of its patents. Similar suits have been leveled against EA, Square Enix and Gameloft.

The patent in question was filed in 2005, and is for "a system and method ... for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data stored on an electronic device." The vague patent, along with Uniloc's long history of patent litigation and its base in Texas (where state laws favor patent owners) have led many to label the company a "patent troll."

Mojang founder, Markus "Notch" Persson, is certainly unimpressed. He announced the lawsuit via an irreverent tweet [https://twitter.com/notch/status/226603785504579584] and went on to state that Mojang would be facing down Uniloc on principle.

"Unfortunately for them, they're suing us over a software patent," he tweeted. [https://twitter.com/notch/status/226604081932812288] "If needed, I will throw piles of money at making sure they don't get a cent."

Uniloc belongs to one, Ric "The Man in the Van" Richardson, an Australian inventor who, and I quote, "does much of his thinking in his van, which he dubs the 'DickMobile,' near his leafy property in Byron Bay." [http://www.smh.com.au/technology/biz-tech/one-man-v-microsoft-a-day-in-the-dickmobile-another-day-in-court-for-aussie-inventor-20110106-19h25.html#ixzz21JMvwKq6] If his name sounds familiar, it's because Mr. Richardson was involved in a landmark legal battle against Microsoft which eventually lead to a major change in how courts calculate reasonable damages in patent cases.

Source: Notch.net [http://notch.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mojang.pdf] via Tech and Trend [http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/365540/20120721/minecraft-notch-mojang-lawsuit-patent-troll-software.htm]

Photo: Steve Holland

Knoopdog

Aug 2, 2011
"In the business of finding big ideas"...and then suing the hell out of them, apparently.

That Notch tweet is priceless, by the way.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
I am starting to think that this kind of thing should be illegal and they should be persecuted. Obviously you should be able to defend a patent, but when people are obviously just buying patents to try to sue. That should not be allowed.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
They've patented internet security programs?

What the fuck?
That shit should be illegal. You shouldn't be allowed to make a living of off suing on stupid claims, especially ones that are so vague.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Judging by this website, Australia's two main exports seem to be <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Yahtzee+Croshaw>jokes about dicks and Dicks that are jokes.

And patenting a concept is ridiculous.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Patent law is utter bullshit.

It basically assumes that some shithead that no one cares about invented something by writing an idea down on paper, and then a giant company, who has MILLIONS of dollars in R&D just somehow found his idea and stole it.

This guy was personally awarded $15 million of the total $388 million from the microsoft suit.

With 7 billion people on the planet, chances are 2 people might be working on the same thing at roughly the same time.

The guy doesn't even create working prototypes of any of his "inventions".

I should create a patent for "button that when pressed, does everything for you" and wait for some actual company to do the work, then swoop in and take a claim.

Fuck this guy.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
ITT ignorance about patent law. You can't patent vague concepts. This article is leaving out material information.

Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: he WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.

Coolpilot

Shadow
Mar 1, 2011
"...including, but not limited to, Mindcraft."
Wow... and they can't even spell Minecraft right.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
90sgamer said:
ITT ignorance about patent law. You can't patent vague concepts. This article is leaving out material information.

Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: we WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.
I don't think you realize just how much money he made.

There's also the concern that Mojang is NOT a US based company. And US patent law is currently taking a drubbing for it's attempts to enforce it's will on a global level. See also, New Zealand. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sweden laugh this right out of court.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Its quite obvious that this guy is trying to just money from these company just settling out of court.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
Its quite obvious that this guy is trying to just money from these company just settling out of court.
That's how the system works, more or less. Even Microsoft did it, because financially, it wasn't worth it to fight him.

Mojang isn't a US company though. So i'm curious how that'll affect things.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
If anyone can beat a patent troll incredibly hard into the dust, it's Notch.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
90sgamer said:

Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: we WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.
Correction: You *SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED* to patent vague concepts.

You most certainly CAN obtain a patent for vague concepts - otherwise, IP patents would not exist. Amazon holds the "One-Click" patent, which is just "Not requiring that the user enter all of their data again when buying something." In order for that to not be a concept, it would need to patent very specific code in a specific language.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
elilupe said:
Because he's demonstrated a knack for swinging around the legal system before? If that were the case I think his tiff with Bethesda would've gone differently.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

I don't know how relevant it is, but this is the first thing that came to mind, lol.

Kick his ass, Notch.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Shjade said:
elilupe said:
Because he's demonstrated a knack for swinging around the legal system before? If that were the case I think his tiff with Bethesda would've gone differently.
With Bethesda, it wasn't actually certain he would win, and he didn't seem to care much either way.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Golden tweet Notch. Give'em hell! While i have no idea of Notches legal prowess or standing on the case(probably good) i know he may very well stay in this fight until one side dies of old age.

I should return to Minecraft more often, each time i do some news article comes up that makes me laugh.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Would this be 'The Man in the Unmarked White Van' and would the Dick in Dickmobile have anything to do with him sitting and staring at playgrounds? Because God almighty, that man is creepy looking.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008

OBJEC-

Wait a second... This seems very deja vü...

... Something about some guy... and patenting a word... Then attacking game companies...

OH

Edge

That was the word. He tried to sue MirrorsEdge for copy-right-infringing.

And he lost big.

Yeah, I hope history repeats itself.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Shjade said:
elilupe said:
Yeah, but the Bethesda case was muddy. I could see some poor blind grandma picking up Skyrim instead of Scrolls, like her grandson wanted. Poor kid...

This is purely some bastard trying to steal money from people who earned it. Even EA is preferable to this cancerous blob. I would literally buy a round-trip plane ticket to Texas just to dance on his grave when he dies. Which will hopefully be soon, and of starvation.

evilneko

Jun 16, 2011
I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

So I'll just call him an asshole instead.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Wait, he's suing on a Concept but not actual technology that "he" created? How the hell is THAT possible!?

Given what he's suing that mean ALL electronic company's should get sued if this idiot wins, tell me folks what is a password OR data encryption? wouldn't THAT fall under that so-called "patent" without getting off his ass to actually MAKE something to get infringed on?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Shjade said:
elilupe said:
To be fair, Notch was (accidentally) totally in the wrong for that one.

I don't see him being in the wrong on this one.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
evilneko said:
I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

It's against the rules to call someone with a valid viewpoint other than your own a "troll" on the forums. Because people seem to have forgotten what a "troll" actually is.

Seeing how this guy's entire method is to evoke reaction, and has been called a "patent troll" in the OP, you're safe on this one.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
evilneko said:

Actually the term patent troll comes from different origins than internet troll. A net troll trys to draw attention or evoke a response. A patent troll does no such thing. Patent trolls are specific in that they hold on to patents and sue companies over patents to make money. Many times such companies called patent trolls do nothing more but sue people over patents.

What this company is doing is classic. They are using a software patent, which to even engineers those patents make little sense, and they are doing it in texas, where patent cases are easy to win in.

So yeah, go ahead can call this guy a patent troll, because this is exactly what they are. Trolls.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Is it wrong to notice that a guy called Dick has a Mr. Bumgardener for an attorney?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Oh, this is going to be fun... At least twice, I see getting that guy stomped into the ground. Once by Notch and once by EA.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
90sgamer said:
Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: he WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.
This isn't two multibillion dollar tech companies going to the mat to protect their market share. Patent trolls have different incentives, they want to make a profit directly off the lawsuit. Notch only has to put up enough resistance, relative to the worth of Minecraft for Android, to prove this isn't worth their time.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
I can't believe that you're actually allowed to patient a concept. Esp. extremely vague, poorly defined concepts.

Incidentally, "Dickmobile", that's hilarious considering the guy makes a living being a dick.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I can't believe that you're actually allowed to patient a concept. Esp. extremely vague, poorly defined concepts.

Incidentally, "Dickmobile", that's hilarious considering the guy makes a living being a dick.
Indeed, see the first half of my post.
Which is the part I thought people would be quoting.

Captcha: hobby-horse
This guy should get a better hobby.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh dear. He might have had a case until he went and sued EA. Those lawyers will eat him up.

What's also very amusing is the fact you don't actually need a product any more to secure a patent. You just need to fill out a form and get fat off suing other people and making everyone waste money.

Yal said:
90sgamer said:
This isn't two multibillion dollar tech companies going to the mat to protect their market share. Patent trolls have different incentives, they want to make a profit directly off the lawsuit. Notch only has to put up enough resistance, relative to the worth of Minecraft for Android, to prove this isn't worth their time.
Notch is a Multimillionair.

Minecraft has been the fastest selling game on 360, PC and Android for several months consecutively. He literally sells 10'000 PC copies per DAY! That's 269'500 dollars earned in a day. That is excluding 360 sales and Android sales.

At the worst case he's earning 400'000 a day not counting merchandising. Notch is literally Swimming in cash. I think he can handle the patent troll battle.

Not to mention he could Counter sue for damages done by this lawsuit seeing as he had to privately fund lawyers. In fact trolling the troll.

(Current minecraft price 26.95 dollars)

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
NuclearShadow said:
I believe what should be done is a patent must show results within a reasonable amount of time say, 8 years. This way if you failed to get a product out and don't even have a semi-functional prototype what should happen is the patent should become public domain. I think that is the solution to this problem.
I think more than 6 years is too long to hold human progress to ransom; especially if you're not even trying to make an honest business out of your creation.

It's not apparent that this guy has been defrauded by his competition; and his making a multi-million dollar fortune from a career of suing successful entities only helps to bring US IP law into disrepute.

Also, I can't contribute to this thread without saying how retarded it is to grant patents to moderate programming solutions.

It's an extension of logic and problem solving. Being the first person to get a (BS) patent on a solution, does not mean some poor bastard on the other side of the world who came up with a similar solution 'stole' from you.

Reserve protection for solutions that are unusually brilliant or creative. And at least ensure that the holder is trying to actively apply the solution in a useful way before letting them claim the royalties of someone else who is.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
US Patent law and Texas may be irrelivant in this case since Mojang is based entirely in Sweden anyway.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
US Patent law and Texas may be irrelivant in this case since Mojang is based entirely in Sweden anyway.
The product is sold in the US and thus, no matter how you want to interpret it, falls under various US laws. Additionally, thanks to various treaties with governments around the world, various US laws hold internationally as well.

So, if you're looking for an easy way out of this situation, won't find one in arbitrary jurisdiction limits.

Sphinx86

Apr 15, 2009
All through the various Patent stories I've heard about the Tech world in general I've always held comfort that it's the American's doing it, and I can sit here as an Aussie with the moral high-ground.

Now the guy behind this is an Aussie........

Hey America, wanna buy this guy from us so I can have my moral high ground back?

Please?

I swear he's a benefit to society. Look at him defending his rights like that, you're all into that right?

We can make it a package deal - we'll throw in Mel Gibson too, never again claim that he's an Aussie anymore.

Pretty Please?

Edit: Typo

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
some people will just sue for anything, if you can't write the speciffics you're probably grasping at straws.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Byron Bay huh?

That's a 30 minute drive from my house...I'm gonna find his hippie van (which will be hard because there are so many hippie vans) and sabotage his 'DickMobile'. Who's with me?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I fuckin' hate patents. Ideas should be free for everyone as long as people are not blatantly ripping other peoples ideas off.

These guys are obvious patent trolls. And as such they should be shot.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
What's going through that man's head as he wakes up every morning?

"Good morning, world! Hm, I'm bored. Uhh...oh, I know! I'll try and big gaming for whatever reason! I mean, it never works but, hey, the 27th time is the charm, right?! :D"

The mere fact that he's suing a bunch of important companies at the same time just told me this was bullshit. I mean, when that other guy sued Ubisoft because they apparently stole his ideas from his unknown book, I at least gave him the benefit of doubt. For like 2 seconds, but still.

But this guy? Mr. Man in the Van? Riding his Dickmobile? Potential pedophile? No, no. Please, Notch. Destroy this guy with your giant robots made out of piles of money.

EA can join too. They're pretty good at being pricks and they don't even need a valid reason!

[sub]I'd encourage Square to join them but they seem to be allergic to money as of lately.[/sub]

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
90sgamer said:

He gave his employees 300,000$ bonuses...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well he's an equal opportunity patent troll if nothing else, given how he seems to be suing companies of every size,type and level of lovability.

ezaviel

Mar 26, 2011
Geez, kind of makes you want to drive up to Byron Bay and kick this guy in his smug face.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008

goddamn! where are all Norwegians when we are in dire need of their expertise.

DVS BSTrD said:
Judging by this website, Australia's two main exports seem to be <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Yahtzee+Croshaw>jokes about dicks and Dicks that are jokes.

just ask sony and their advertisement during gameplay patent
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-25-sony-patents-method-to-interrupt-your-gaming-with-an-ad
Antitonic said:
Is it wrong to notice that a guy called Dick has a Mr. Bumgardener for an attorney?
no.

but is it wrong if i think he sometimes screams "out to the dick mobile!" and runs to his van in a giant penis costume?

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I fuckin' hate patents. Ideas should be free for everyone as long as people are not blatantly ripping other peoples ideas off.
And how would you regulate what is and what isn't blatantly ripping off? There would have to be a legal document detailing what you must change for something to be considered different to the original product, I think I'll call it a patent.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Adam Jensen said:

that...doesnt make any sense.

patents are there so people dont blatantly rip other peoples ideas off.
just ask china with their Ipud tablets, rulex watch.....

http://kotaku.com/5904240/marvel-at-chinas-ballsy-rip+offs/

http://www.11points.com/Food-Drink/11_Ridiculous_Fast_Food_Chain_Ripoffs_In_China

http://offbeatchina.com/when-copycat-becomes-cultural-norm-in-china-foreign-movie-posters-ripped-off

http://www.hemmy.net/2007/04/29/chinese-fake-brands/

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2322463/posts

Full-scale replicas of the U.S. Capitol building have been constructed in the cities of Wuxi and Fuyang.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-chinese-knock-offs-2011-1?op=1

http://powerwall.msnbc.msn.com/business/from-ikea-to-harry-potter-a-look-at-chinese-knockoffs-10553.gallery

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
GeneralTwinkle said:
They've patented internet security programs?

What the fuck?
That shit should be illegal. You shouldn't be allowed to make a living of off suing on stupid claims, especially ones that are so vague.
Especially since...
A) He's claiming Minecraft is a security program... anyone even remotely familiar with it KNOWS that's exactly what it ISN'T.

And...
B) He can't even spell "Minecraft" properly. Yeah... if you're going to make an obviously fraudulent patent violation claim, the least you can do is have the decency to do enough research to know how to spell the program you're supposedly suing over.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
evilneko said:

Don't worry! It's an actual, real industry-specific term.

Oh, and to everyone who thinks Uniloc is actually hoping to win - they're not. They're probably hoping for Mojang to just settle out of court instead of wasting money on laywers.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
90sgamer said:
RvLeshrac said:

You most certainly CAN obtain a patent for vague concepts - otherwise, IP patents would not exist. Amazon holds the "One-Click" patent, which is just "Not requiring that the user enter all of their data again when buying something." In order for that to not be a concept, it would need to patent very specific code in a specific language.
[citation needed]
Someone has the patent for games on loading screens.
Not a specific game; any game.
And force feedback in joysticks.
That's why we don't get those any more.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
rhizhim said:
STAR FUCKS.
YESSSSSSSSS I'd rather go there than to Star Bucks, really : D
anthony87 said:
Is that Notch's thing?

"Get sued -> Go to Twitter"?
No, it's like with every twitter user:
"experience anything while being awake enough to type -> Go to Twitter"
Makes you wonder why people don't tweet about how they just breathed in/out all the time.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Dear United States, when are you going to change your laws to prevent this kind of legal bullying by fat copyright mobsters?

It's probably also impossible to get a verdict holding Uniloc accountable for all legal fees made by the people they went after...

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
"Unfortunately for them, they're suing us over a software patent," he tweeted. "If needed, I will throw piles of money at making sure they don't get a cent."

I think I just found my all time hero.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Here's the way you approach settlement negotiations with such a dick.

1) find some worthy charity said dick supports, or perhaps said dick has a family member or relative suffering from some as-yet incurable disease
2) setup an account of, say $200,000
3) during the initial settlement meeting, explain to said dick that this $200,000 will be going to the selected charity, after he signs the patent in question over to the Open Invention Network, or some other suitable venue, or just releases it completely, and forswears ever suing anybody over it ever again
4) explain that if he continues this present course of litigation, all of the legal fees incurred will be paid from that account, leaving whatever is left over for the charity
5) if necessary, dump even more money into the account until it starts to penetrate the bell's end

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
I fucking LOVE notch.
"I will throw piles of money to make sure they don't get a cent"
That's brilliant, paying out the amount the other guy wanted into legal stuff so the other guy gets none of your monies through spite.
I Fucking LOVE notch.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
these people need to die in a hole, and the patent system needs to be reviewed. writing up patents and sitting on them for years just to sue someone who makes use of the idea unknowingly is outright wrong.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Rainforce said:
anthony87 said:
Is that Notch's thing?

"Get sued -> Go to Twitter"?
No, it's like with every twitter user:
"experience anything while being awake enough to type -> Go to Twitter"
Makes you wonder why people don't tweet about how they just breathed in/out all the time.
Unfortunately I know people who are like that with regards to Facebook.

"Just woke up!"
"Getting dressed!"
"Lovely breakfast!
"Here's a photo of what I had for breakfast!"

I WISH I WAS FUCKING JOKING WITH THAT LAST ONE! It's....it's just....maddening. It's so maddening that I can't think of a decent way to politely tell them that nobody gives a shit o_O.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Kuth said:
evilneko said:

Actually the term patent troll comes from different origins than internet troll. A net troll trys to draw attention or evoke a response. A patent troll does no such thing. Patent trolls are specific in that they hold on to patents and sue companies over patents to make money. Many times such companies called patent trolls do nothing more but sue people over patents.

What this company is doing is classic. They are using a software patent, which to even engineers those patents make little sense, and they are doing it in texas, where patent cases are easy to win in.

So yeah, go ahead can call this guy a patent troll, because this is exactly what they are. Trolls.
To elaborate, the origin of, "Patent troll" came along when a guy being sued by one said that the person suing was committing extortion. Well, he got slapped with a slander lawsuit. So he tried to come up with a good legal term, and his daughter happened to like Troll dolls. So he thought about ugly trolls lying in wait, trying to extort a toll out of people crossing their bridge when they didn't do anything to create that bridge. And the term was born, slander suit risk-free.

Also, I think this is the right page (It's not loading for me, but with the connection I have right now Google doesn't load half the time)

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack/

Its a very interesting look into the world of patent law, and why tech patents are the biggest joke in the world.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'm sick of all these patent disputes, all they seem to do is hold back industry innovation and block competition. I really think there has to be some changes to the way patents are done.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
rhizhim said:
That's trademark infringement, and is all about the outwards appearance of a product.

Patents are about functionality. What would you say about a patent for an "entertainment computer device that displays visual output on a television"?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Well, how about we patent "the inhalation of air and internal processing thereof's oxygen into carbon dioxide by various living material, including but not exclusively transport via iron-rich blood cells, cellular respiration and the re-expelling for purposes such as extinguishing wax candles on baked goods for special occasions". Let's see how he likes that!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Mouse_Crouse said:
I am starting to think that this kind of thing should be illegal and they should be persecuted. Obviously you should be able to defend a patent, but when people are obviously just buying patents to try to sue. That should not be allowed.
Indeed. There needs to be some changes to the patent system. And by some changes I probably mean a complete overhaul. Hell, I would rather see patents on software outright denied. Feel free to still protect actual code under copyright, but the software industry moves too quickly for a software patent to be particularly useful to anyone except the guy who owns it and just sued everyone else who independently came up with their own implementation. It also avoids the issue of people suing because they hold incredibly vague patents which shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
a system and method ... for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data stored on an electronic device
Isn't that basically every anti-virus/security program ever invented? Personally I think if your going to sue someone for patent infringement you should at least have (by law) a device/software which proves they've copied you because the quote above is just to vague.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
anthony87 said:
Unfortunately I know people who are like that with regards to Facebook.

"Just woke up!"
"Getting dressed!"
"Lovely breakfast!
"Here's a photo of what I had for breakfast!"

I WISH I WAS FUCKING JOKING WITH THAT LAST ONE! It's....it's just....maddening. It's so maddening that I can't think of a decent way to politely tell them that nobody gives a shit o_O.
Maybe we're just too mad to understand their totally sane and reasonable behavior
(actually, my current theory is that all people are in denial about reality, as we're able to calculate it properly to a certain degree, but cannot accept our insignificance emotionally, so our mind takes the most colorful shapes to compensate : D! )

captcha: "go berserk"
AS YOU WISH, ESCAPIST.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
The Dickmobile? There has never been a more fitting name to a vehicle. Hopefully he gets landed with an astronomical amount of debt.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
That guy certainly does look like someone who rides around in the DickMobile ("dick" as in jerk). I really hope that Notch destroys this loser to the point where he becomes like the douche PR guy in the scandle over the 3rd party controller customer service back in December. He thought he was all tough with his BS list of contacts that had no idea who the hell he was. Now he's essentially been black-balled by the entire internet and can't find any work because no one will hire him for their PR. Well no shit.

Anyways, I'm hoping this patent leech gets absolutely destroyed like that as well. He reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church, going to funerals and other events just to hold horrifically offensive protests in the hopes that someone gets angry at them and throws a punch or something, at which point they IMMEDIATELY sue for as much as they possibly can. And since the majority of the higher-ups in that church are actually lawyers, they normally win. It's just a scam, a dispicable scam the same as the one this loser is trying to pull.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
newdarkcloud said:
What a jerkwad. I'm getting real tired of these constant patent disputes.
I also am getting tired of them.

He won't get a cent anyway they'll either crush him or drag it out so he goes bankrupt from legal fees.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
This is ridiculous. I hope these patent trolls don't get a penny, not from any of those companies. They ought to pool their legal resources for this and countersue.

Notch posted a copy of the litigation papers:

http://notch.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mojang.pdf

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
rhizhim said:
Adam Jensen said:

Wow, I want to go to star fucks now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dickmobile...Seriously? Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Captcha: Lame Duck.

More like "Lame Dick," am I right?

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
This is really the patent office's fault at the end of the day, but people like this make me sick.

Let me clarify though: Patents aren't a bad thing, but they need to be more specific, and instances of patent infringement should be obvious. When people see these Chineese knockoffs, they actually aren't usually even infringing on much of the technology, what they're trying to do is borrow the brand. They're attempting to use a name your recognize to con you into buying a product. But what we have right now, is legions of small companies patenting all sorts of vague, general ideas for hardware and software (EG: A button wherein is placed on the side of the device, the antenna is on the INSIDE of the device) and suing anyone that they can with them.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Sounds like one of those utility patent lawsuits.

Utility patents are bad news, as it allows someone to create something like, I don't know, keys, and then gives them the ability to sue everyone who does not buy the rig to use keys on there product from them.

One story like this happened a while ago, where a man sued all the software companies in the world for using a loading screen, claiming it was his idea to represent it as such.

You see how these things can be a problem to creativity and innovative start-up businesses?

Also: Gabe Newell's evil twin? Here at 11.

Dafttechno

May 19, 2010
Considering the Xbox 360 version of Minecraft alone has made over $60 million just since its May 9th release, even after Microsoft's share, taxes, and paying 27 Mojang employees, Notch can easily afford to bury this guy in litigation.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
This country (the U.S.) really really needs to revamp the lawsuit area of the justice system. Well a lot of areas need revamping, but frivolous lawsuits that end up costing taxpayers money (paying judges, bailiffs, stenographers and all the other people involved that work for the gov't) are ridiculous. Not to mention the mountains of money that litigators get paid whether they win or not...
To be honest, lawsuits should have some form of deterrence on them, perhaps putting a limit on how much a lawyer/law office can make from a lawsuit, penalties for lawsuits that are proven to be a waste of everyone's time... I don't have answers on how it should work but I think that its ridiculous what people can sue for.

Great example: That dumbass lady who dropped hot coffee in her lap and got burned and sued McDonalds because "there was no warning label". That is fucking ridiculous, and even more ridiculous that she won.

Anyone else know of some stupid ass suits that should never have been considered?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Like everyone else has said, it sucks. Exploiting the hell out of that loophole in the current patent and copyright laws is a shamefully efficient way to make a living, actually. You just have to have enough evidence, enough clout to stand up against a corp with an army of lawyers, and time to waste.

Sue enough people frequently enough and someone's bound to agree to a settlement just to shut you up. Not everyone's Sony, Microsoft or Mojang. Ka-ching! Free cash, usually at the tune of a few million bucks!

Not that it has any chance of happening now, though. Like others have said, Notch can afford to bury this guy in court appeals and other attempts at litigation until the end of time.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
amaranth_dru said:
This country (the U.S.) really really needs to revamp the lawsuit area of the justice system. Well a lot of areas need revamping, but frivolous lawsuits that end up costing taxpayers money (paying judges, bailiffs, stenographers and all the other people involved that work for the gov't) are ridiculous. Not to mention the mountains of money that litigators get paid whether they win or not...
To be honest, lawsuits should have some form of deterrence on them, perhaps putting a limit on how much a lawyer/law office can make from a lawsuit, penalties for lawsuits that are proven to be a waste of everyone's time... I don't have answers on how it should work but I think that its ridiculous what people can sue for.

Great example: That dumbass lady who dropped hot coffee in her lap and got burned and sued McDonalds because "there was no warning label". That is fucking ridiculous, and even more ridiculous that she won.

Anyone else know of some stupid ass suits that should never have been considered?
Woman received third degree burns from the coffee. Please actually study that case.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
MammothBlade said:
rhizhim said:
Adam Jensen said:

As do I. Remember their motto:
"We'll get you up in the morning."

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Give that fat ass a weeks worth of KFC thatl solve this case pretty quickly.

Can you say diabetic coma? Lol

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
RvLeshrac said:
Shjade said:
elilupe said:
With Bethesda, it wasn't actually certain he would win, and he didn't seem to care much either way.
uncanny474 said:
Yeah, but the Bethesda case was muddy. I could see some poor blind grandma picking up Skyrim instead of Scrolls, like her grandson wanted. Poor kid...

This is purely some bastard trying to steal money from people who earned it. Even EA is preferable to this cancerous blob. I would literally buy a round-trip plane ticket to Texas just to dance on his grave when he dies. Which will hopefully be soon, and of starvation.
lacktheknack said:
To be fair, Notch was (accidentally) totally in the wrong for that one.

I don't see him being in the wrong on this one.
All true statements.

None of which support the notion that Notch has the knowledge or ability to beat someone who specializes in this kind of lawsuit, much less that he is someone who can be depended upon for it ("If anyone can do it, it's Notch.")

I think my statement of skepticism stands.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
It would be kinda fun to see all those companies and corporations join forces and *****-slap that bugger to his place in a court.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
awesome tweet from notch, but this guy is fucking mental. i think this is proof that there is SOMETHING wrong with current patent laws, although i have no understanding of them so i can't really say what

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
That description isn't of a patent, its of a type of patient. That's like trying to patent 'A device with an engine and enclosed space that is designed to move people form place to place' and suing every company to ever make a car. Patent need to be actual things. I know they make them vague to avoid similar but not he same devices but this is ridiculous. Never mind the balls he has to file the suits, who the hell is the patent clerk that didn't immediately trash that idea?

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Not sure who the biggest pricks are.

1: Lawyers helping these patent trolls and charging like $500 per hour. Also $500 per hour? WHY do they think they are worth so much?

2: The patent troll itself.

3: The judge who agrees with patent trolls.

This has been going on for years as well and it still hasn't changed. Make some demands on when you can issue an suing order.

I remember watching a Youtube video about this and one way to win was to go like "I'm gonna drag this out as much as possible!" and it usually got them to stop. The other way was to demand they show proof of the infringement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_lb3D7Ay-M

Good video to watch.

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
We get all pissed of when things like this happen to smaller businesses, but this guy really is just a tiny part of the problem.

Look up "Rockstar Consortium". Apple, Microsoft, and Sony, and some others, have set up this group to patent troll the tech industry.

edit:
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/05/rockstar/

"?Pretty much anybody out there is infringing,? says John Veschi, Rockstar?s CEO. ?It would be hard for me to envision that there are high-tech companies out there that don?t use some of the patents in our portfolio.?"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Oh hey; the guy who managed to get money from microsoft for the product key system used in their products (Apparently MS was unable to prove that they were working on a similar system before the guy showed his idea to them!) is going to lose all the money he got and then some for being a greedy patent troll! It's guys like this and their dickmobiles which make me embarrassed to say I am australian

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Shjade said:
All true statements.

None of which support the notion that Notch has the knowledge or ability to beat someone who specializes in this kind of lawsuit, much less that he is someone who can be depended upon for it ("If anyone can do it, it's Notch.")

Notch's knowledge and ability don't amount to a hill of clams. What matters is his LAWYER'S knowledge and ability. I mean, unless he represents himself, which would make me headdesk through my computer.

Mar 30, 2010
In the business of finding big ideas
base in Texas

Ok, ok, that was needless. It's two in the morning and I needed to make a flippant comment. I apologise to all progressive and forward thinking Texans.

[sub]Shouldn't take long...[/sub]

:)

OT: This guy obviously makes his 'living' by trying to cash in on the successful ideas of other people. With any luck the legal system will see him coming a mile off and drop-kick him into next week.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
90sgamer said:
RvLeshrac said:

[citation needed]

(ed: You know what, nah, here's the citation: GOOGLE)

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
MammothBlade said:
rhizhim said:
Adam Jensen said:

As do I. Remember their motto:
"We'll get you up in the morning."
Except not a single one of those things is patented. Those are all trademarks, which are protected under completely different legislation.

Patents work like this:

If you invent the telephone and I invent the telephone, independently, on other sides of a continent, the first one of us that gets the letter to the patent office is the only one allowed to make the product.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
Here's the patent: http://www.google.com/patents/US6857067.

Uniloc isn't shy about these lawsuits. Half of their Q&A page is about their lawsuit with Microsoft (granted there are only six topics, but they also mention it again on their IP page).

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Patent trolling should be punishable by death. These people are just looking for a payday off of other people's hard work, at the expense of the real creative groups. Shameful. Utterly shameful.

I look forward to this idiot getting his ass kicked in court.

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
Sqrt(-1) said:
So this guy patented server based DRM checks?!

He's obviously just targeting Mojang because he's a dick. I'm pretty sure he can bring this thing against 90%+ of software sold. Not Just games.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
uncanny474 said:
Shjade said:
All true statements.

Notch's knowledge and ability don't amount to a hill of clams. What matters is his LAWYER'S knowledge and ability. I mean, unless he represents himself, which would make me headdesk through my computer.
Here's someone who's picking up what I'm putting down. Though I don't know why Notch's legal team would be expected to have any supremacy over these guys that their previous opponents lacked, either, it's at least a more sensible thought process than any kind of suggestion that Notch himself would be responsible for overturning some lawsuit.

Kefo

May 19, 2010
Best part of all this. He filed the patent against the software "Mindcraft". Notch can walk in, say I dont know what the fuck you are talking about I make a game called Minecraft, judge dismisses the case and hopefully in the process calls the guy out on being a huge dick and charges him for wasting the courts time

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
newdarkcloud said:
What a jerkwad. I'm getting real tired of these constant patent disputes.
It's a bad system that needs overhauling. I always hope that one of these court cases will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Kefo said:
Best part of all this. He filed the patent against the software "Mindcraft". Notch can walk in, say I dont know what the fuck you are talking about I make a game called Minecraft, judge dismisses the case and hopefully in the process calls the guy out on being a huge dick and charges him for wasting the courts time
I was hoping for that; sadly, the document uses the phrase "including, but not limited to Mindcraft", so the name being wrong doesnt help.

Stabinbac

Nov 25, 2010
theblindedhunter said:
So if you sue for damages on a patent you don't use and were making no effort to use...
Shouldn't you get $0?
If you go to the Uniloc website you'll discover they very vague descriptions of some sort of security solutions they can offer. It's likely the only service is taking your money to license their patents, but they are actively marketing it. Wikipedia seems to say that Sega was listed on a customers page their website used to have.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
gyroscopeboy said:
Patent law is utter bullshit.

It basically assumes that some shithead that no one cares about invented something by writing an idea down on paper, and then a giant company, who has MILLIONS of dollars in R&D just somehow found his idea and stole it.

This guy was personally awarded $15 million of the total $388 million from the microsoft suit.

With 7 billion people on the planet, chances are 2 people might be working on the same thing at roughly the same time.

The guy doesn't even create working prototypes of any of his "inventions".

I should create a patent for "button that when pressed, does everything for you" and wait for some actual company to do the work, then swoop in and take a claim.

Fuck this guy.
While it's abused like hell for the wrong reason, the patent law is actually meant to work the other way, ie, if I come up with a new idea, I can patent it to guarantee that I'll make money of it. It's meant to encourage invention and innovation. And yeah, it's possible for me to come up with an idea, on my own, better than the ones being spent millions on in RnD by corporates, and lose it to them. Because if I want to sell my idea, I'm going to have to share it with them and try to sell them on it. By patenting it, I ensure that they can't just listen to my idea, send me on my way, and then make it, sans me, and pay no royalties.

Unfortunately, like copyright, it's now being used by litigious assholes to try to bolt down anything that they can as theirs so they can sue someone, and ends up working against invention and innovation. So their not useless, per se, they're just broken, and at the moment, misused.

Thanks Edge Games, Tim Landell, Apple, and Dick Richardson. You guys are inventive legends *Sarcasm*.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Stabinbac said:
Sqrt(-1) said:

He's obviously just targeting Mojang because he's a dick. I'm pretty sure he can bring this thing against 90%+ of software sold. Not Just games.
It's really Markus whos the dick here, he who thinks that money can cure bad manners. Ric just seems to be protecting in what he owns and created from being used and abused just like any other inventor and even if he's trying to earn money from it, piracy isn't justifiable.

This isn't even the first case, they tried MS and MS cracked by arranging a private deal.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
It just clicked.

This guy looks eerily similar to Elby Jessie Hars, a pedophile arrested while trying to flee the country in 2000.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Ric Richardson doesn't own Unlioc. He is a minor shareholder. Allegedly he doesn't even own the patent that's up for dispute. He is pretty much irrelevant to this case.

LRed01

Apr 3, 2010
mad825 said:
Stabinbac said:
Sqrt(-1) said:

It's really Markus whos the dick here, he who thinks that money can cure bad manners. Ric just seems to be protecting in what he owns and created from being used and abused just like any other inventor and even if he's trying to earn money from it, piracy isn't justifiable.

This isn't even the first case, they tried MS and MS cracked by arranging a private deal.
Hmm I smell a troll but just in case you actually believe that in what way is he protecting what he created? did you read the patent? that is the reason this suit is being filed that they use something that prevents access to data on electronic devices.
Wouldn't a password be filled under this?
Hmm maybe it's sarcasm I smell it is a possibility...

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
Bindal said:
Oh, this is going to be fun... At least twice, I see getting that guy stomped into the ground. Once by Notch and once by EA.
Actually, EA might make this suit a profitable one for the troll. EA is already running in the red and doesn't have the time or patience to deal with him. They'll probably fall into the "give him a million and make him go away" camp.

bliebblob said:
Step 1: patent copyright trolling
step 2: become counter-trolling legend
Give this man a no prize!

On topic, Notch might be able to shut this doorknob up once and for all. Texas law doesn't allow for a suit to be dismissed until after discovery happens unless there is a settlement. That means that all evidence, pretrial hearings, the depositions of witnesses, and so on have to happen before either side can ask a judge for a "can we go home now?" motion.

Notch is in Sweden. I wonder how long it'll take all the evidence to make its way across the Atlantic?

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Shjade said:
Here's someone who's picking up what I'm putting down. Though I don't know why Notch's legal team would be expected to have any supremacy over these guys that their previous opponents lacked, either, it's at least a more sensible thought process than any kind of suggestion that Notch himself would be responsible for overturning some lawsuit.
Having money = Good legal team. Case-in-point; Bill Gates is the richest high-profile person in the world (note the HIGH PROFILE part) with possibly the most profitable corporation in the world, one that puts the M in Monopoly, and his (read: Microsoft's) legal team performs miracles on a daily basis. Miracles from hell, that screw people over, but miracles nonetheless. Notch isn't quite as rich, but he makes up for it with his fiscal irresponsibility, and his hatred of anything that goes against what the internet wants.

The man spends tens of thousands of dollars on the INDIE BUNDLES. I don't even WANT to know what he'll do with the rest of Mojang backing him on a legal issue.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Sweet! I think we found ourselves this year's Tim Langdell!

Let the hatred flow through you, Escapist.

Melnordan

Mar 18, 2010
Ok so here is a quote from the linked article:

"You can really live well on $10-15 million in assets," he said.

"You should set your lifestyle around something that's reasonable and then treat the rest of it for what it really is, which is a business success score."

Now if that is true then this prick should just shut the doors on his company, Retire, and forget all about anything ever "made". He has all the money he needs now go take a long walk off a short cliff and get lost. The only reason he continues to do this crap is PURE GREED!! Gluttony is a sin there Van boy.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
So, this guy sues a videogame (with the wrong name) for being a security device. I'm pretty sure these things existed before the guy was even born.

This might possibly be one of those big lawsuits for the history books that might actually make something change. Or, it might be another miniscule case like when the Zorro company sued Mars for having the red M&M wear merely a simple black mask.

Oddly enough, this totally reminds me of a situation where someone was sneaking Minecraft into my old high school, and the teacher kept calling it "Mindcraft".

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
uncanny474 said:
The man spends tens of thousands of dollars on the INDIE BUNDLES. I don't even WANT to know what he'll do with the rest of Mojang backing him on a legal issue.
Go bankrupt, from the sound of your description re: how he spends money?

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Hmm, I see the fanboys are out in force. People: calling for someone's death is not an appropriate response to an intellectual property law suit.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
(Facepalm) *SIGH* Some people just don't learn, do they? I'm getting so sick and tired of copyright debates...

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Is there a way that Notch can just castrate him judicially? Like a counter-suit for being an epic douche-tard?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Brett Bowling said:
There is going to be one heck of a Quake match to settle this
oicu812

This fat bastard needs to be put in his place. Go on, Notch, drain this bloated parasite of all his money and make him bankrupt.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I for one welcome patent lawyer trolls. Maybe this is how we get patent and copyright laws reformed or abolished for software and methods.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Patent trolls wouldn't be such a problem if they fixed patent law to stop protecting things unrealised by their supposed owners.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
That guy may be rich as hell, but he's still an asshole and a drain on society. The most annoying part is how he is on a high horse and acts like he has the ethical high ground.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, if there is one thing we know EA has some talent for, it's throwing IP trolls in front of a bus. Ask Tim "Edgy McEdgerson" Langdell.