Mojang, Square Enix, EA and Others Sued For Patent Infringement

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Shjade said:
elilupe said:
If anyone can beat a patent troll incredibly hard into the dust, it's Notch.
Because he's demonstrated a knack for swinging around the legal system before? If that were the case I think his tiff with Bethesda would've gone differently.
With Bethesda, it wasn't actually certain he would win, and he didn't seem to care much either way.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Would this be 'The Man in the Unmarked White Van' and would the Dick in Dickmobile have anything to do with him sitting and staring at playgrounds? Because God almighty, that man is creepy looking.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008

OBJEC-

Wait a second... This seems very deja vü...

... Something about some guy... and patenting a word... Then attacking game companies...

OH

Edge

That was the word. He tried to sue MirrorsEdge for copy-right-infringing.

And he lost big.

Yeah, I hope history repeats itself.

uncanny474

Jan 20, 2011
Shjade said:
elilupe said:
Because he's demonstrated a knack for swinging around the legal system before? If that were the case I think his tiff with Bethesda would've gone differently.
Yeah, but the Bethesda case was muddy. I could see some poor blind grandma picking up Skyrim instead of Scrolls, like her grandson wanted. Poor kid...

This is purely some bastard trying to steal money from people who earned it. Even EA is preferable to this cancerous blob. I would literally buy a round-trip plane ticket to Texas just to dance on his grave when he dies. Which will hopefully be soon, and of starvation.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

So I'll just call him an asshole instead.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Wait, he's suing on a Concept but not actual technology that "he" created? How the hell is THAT possible!?

Given what he's suing that mean ALL electronic company's should get sued if this idiot wins, tell me folks what is a password OR data encryption? wouldn't THAT fall under that so-called "patent" without getting off his ass to actually MAKE something to get infringed on?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Shjade said:
elilupe said:
To be fair, Notch was (accidentally) totally in the wrong for that one.

I don't see him being in the wrong on this one.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
evilneko said:
I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

It's against the rules to call someone with a valid viewpoint other than your own a "troll" on the forums. Because people seem to have forgotten what a "troll" actually is.

Seeing how this guy's entire method is to evoke reaction, and has been called a "patent troll" in the OP, you're safe on this one.

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
evilneko said:

Actually the term patent troll comes from different origins than internet troll. A net troll trys to draw attention or evoke a response. A patent troll does no such thing. Patent trolls are specific in that they hold on to patents and sue companies over patents to make money. Many times such companies called patent trolls do nothing more but sue people over patents.

What this company is doing is classic. They are using a software patent, which to even engineers those patents make little sense, and they are doing it in texas, where patent cases are easy to win in.

So yeah, go ahead can call this guy a patent troll, because this is exactly what they are. Trolls.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Is it wrong to notice that a guy called Dick has a Mr. Bumgardener for an attorney?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Oh, this is going to be fun... At least twice, I see getting that guy stomped into the ground. Once by Notch and once by EA.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
90sgamer said:
Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: he WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.
This isn't two multibillion dollar tech companies going to the mat to protect their market share. Patent trolls have different incentives, they want to make a profit directly off the lawsuit. Notch only has to put up enough resistance, relative to the worth of Minecraft for Android, to prove this isn't worth their time.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
And patenting a concept is ridiculous.
I can't believe that you're actually allowed to patient a concept. Esp. extremely vague, poorly defined concepts.

Incidentally, "Dickmobile", that's hilarious considering the guy makes a living being a dick.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh dear. He might have had a case until he went and sued EA. Those lawyers will eat him up.

What's also very amusing is the fact you don't actually need a product any more to secure a patent. You just need to fill out a form and get fat off suing other people and making everyone waste money.

Yal said:
90sgamer said:
Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: he WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.
This isn't two multibillion dollar tech companies going to the mat to protect their market share. Patent trolls have different incentives, they want to make a profit directly off the lawsuit. Notch only has to put up enough resistance, relative to the worth of Minecraft for Android, to prove this isn't worth their time.
Notch is a Multimillionair.

Minecraft has been the fastest selling game on 360, PC and Android for several months consecutively. He literally sells 10'000 PC copies per DAY! That's 269'500 dollars earned in a day. That is excluding 360 sales and Android sales.

At the worst case he's earning 400'000 a day not counting merchandising. Notch is literally Swimming in cash. I think he can handle the patent troll battle.

Not to mention he could Counter sue for damages done by this lawsuit seeing as he had to privately fund lawyers. In fact trolling the troll.

(Current minecraft price 26.95 dollars)

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
NuclearShadow said:
I believe what should be done is a patent must show results within a reasonable amount of time say, 8 years. This way if you failed to get a product out and don't even have a semi-functional prototype what should happen is the patent should become public domain. I think that is the solution to this problem.
I think more than 6 years is too long to hold human progress to ransom; especially if you're not even trying to make an honest business out of your creation.

It's not apparent that this guy has been defrauded by his competition; and his making a multi-million dollar fortune from a career of suing successful entities only helps to bring US IP law into disrepute.

Also, I can't contribute to this thread without saying how retarded it is to grant patents to moderate programming solutions.

It's an extension of logic and problem solving. Being the first person to get a (BS) patent on a solution, does not mean some poor bastard on the other side of the world who came up with a similar solution 'stole' from you.

Reserve protection for solutions that are unusually brilliant or creative. And at least ensure that the holder is trying to actively apply the solution in a useful way before letting them claim the royalties of someone else who is.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
US Patent law and Texas may be irrelivant in this case since Mojang is based entirely in Sweden anyway.