Mojang, Square Enix, EA and Others Sued For Patent Infringement

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
US Patent law and Texas may be irrelivant in this case since Mojang is based entirely in Sweden anyway.
The product is sold in the US and thus, no matter how you want to interpret it, falls under various US laws. Additionally, thanks to various treaties with governments around the world, various US laws hold internationally as well.

So, if you're looking for an easy way out of this situation, won't find one in arbitrary jurisdiction limits.

Sphinx86

Apr 15, 2009
All through the various Patent stories I've heard about the Tech world in general I've always held comfort that it's the American's doing it, and I can sit here as an Aussie with the moral high-ground.

Now the guy behind this is an Aussie........

Hey America, wanna buy this guy from us so I can have my moral high ground back?

Please?

I swear he's a benefit to society. Look at him defending his rights like that, you're all into that right?

We can make it a package deal - we'll throw in Mel Gibson too, never again claim that he's an Aussie anymore.

Pretty Please?

Edit: Typo

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
some people will just sue for anything, if you can't write the speciffics you're probably grasping at straws.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Byron Bay huh?

That's a 30 minute drive from my house...I'm gonna find his hippie van (which will be hard because there are so many hippie vans) and sabotage his 'DickMobile'. Who's with me?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I fuckin' hate patents. Ideas should be free for everyone as long as people are not blatantly ripping other peoples ideas off.

These guys are obvious patent trolls. And as such they should be shot.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
What's going through that man's head as he wakes up every morning?

"Good morning, world! Hm, I'm bored. Uhh...oh, I know! I'll try and big gaming for whatever reason! I mean, it never works but, hey, the 27th time is the charm, right?! :D"

The mere fact that he's suing a bunch of important companies at the same time just told me this was bullshit. I mean, when that other guy sued Ubisoft because they apparently stole his ideas from his unknown book, I at least gave him the benefit of doubt. For like 2 seconds, but still.

But this guy? Mr. Man in the Van? Riding his Dickmobile? Potential pedophile? No, no. Please, Notch. Destroy this guy with your giant robots made out of piles of money.

EA can join too. They're pretty good at being pricks and they don't even need a valid reason!

[sub]I'd encourage Square to join them but they seem to be allergic to money as of lately.[/sub]

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
90sgamer said:
ITT ignorance about patent law. You can't patent vague concepts. This article is leaving out material information.

Anyway, Notch is certainly correct: he WILL throw piles of money at this. IP law is the most lucrative law. IP attorneys charge, at the bottom-medium end, around $500/hour. Patent cases go on forever. Notch could very well go Bankrupt just to win his patent. He's not worth *that* much.
He gave his employees 300,000$ bonuses...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well he's an equal opportunity patent troll if nothing else, given how he seems to be suing companies of every size,type and level of lovability.

ezaviel

Mar 26, 2011
Geez, kind of makes you want to drive up to Byron Bay and kick this guy in his smug face.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I fuckin' hate patents. Ideas should be free for everyone as long as people are not blatantly ripping other peoples ideas off.
And how would you regulate what is and what isn't blatantly ripping off? There would have to be a legal document detailing what you must change for something to be considered different to the original product, I think I'll call it a patent.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
GeneralTwinkle said:
They've patented internet security programs?

What the fuck?
That shit should be illegal. You shouldn't be allowed to make a living of off suing on stupid claims, especially ones that are so vague.
Especially since...
A) He's claiming Minecraft is a security program... anyone even remotely familiar with it KNOWS that's exactly what it ISN'T.

And...
B) He can't even spell "Minecraft" properly. Yeah... if you're going to make an obviously fraudulent patent violation claim, the least you can do is have the decency to do enough research to know how to spell the program you're supposedly suing over.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
evilneko said:
I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

So I'll just call him an asshole instead.
Don't worry! It's an actual, real industry-specific term.

Oh, and to everyone who thinks Uniloc is actually hoping to win - they're not. They're probably hoping for Mojang to just settle out of court instead of wasting money on laywers.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
90sgamer said:
RvLeshrac said:
Correction: You *SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED* to patent vague concepts.

You most certainly CAN obtain a patent for vague concepts - otherwise, IP patents would not exist. Amazon holds the "One-Click" patent, which is just "Not requiring that the user enter all of their data again when buying something." In order for that to not be a concept, it would need to patent very specific code in a specific language.
[citation needed]
Someone has the patent for games on loading screens.
Not a specific game; any game.
And force feedback in joysticks.
That's why we don't get those any more.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
rhizhim said:
STAR FUCKS.
YESSSSSSSSS I'd rather go there than to Star Bucks, really : D
anthony87 said:
Is that Notch's thing?

"Get sued -> Go to Twitter"?
No, it's like with every twitter user:
"experience anything while being awake enough to type -> Go to Twitter"
Makes you wonder why people don't tweet about how they just breathed in/out all the time.