Mojang, Square Enix, EA and Others Sued For Patent Infringement

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
"Unfortunately for them, they're suing us over a software patent," he tweeted. "If needed, I will throw piles of money at making sure they don't get a cent."

I think I just found my all time hero.

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
Here's the way you approach settlement negotiations with such a dick.

1) find some worthy charity said dick supports, or perhaps said dick has a family member or relative suffering from some as-yet incurable disease
2) setup an account of, say $200,000
3) during the initial settlement meeting, explain to said dick that this $200,000 will be going to the selected charity, after he signs the patent in question over to the Open Invention Network, or some other suitable venue, or just releases it completely, and forswears ever suing anybody over it ever again
4) explain that if he continues this present course of litigation, all of the legal fees incurred will be paid from that account, leaving whatever is left over for the charity
5) if necessary, dump even more money into the account until it starts to penetrate the bell's end

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
I fucking LOVE notch.
"I will throw piles of money to make sure they don't get a cent"
That's brilliant, paying out the amount the other guy wanted into legal stuff so the other guy gets none of your monies through spite.
I Fucking LOVE notch.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
these people need to die in a hole, and the patent system needs to be reviewed. writing up patents and sitting on them for years just to sue someone who makes use of the idea unknowingly is outright wrong.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Rainforce said:
anthony87 said:
Is that Notch's thing?

"Get sued -> Go to Twitter"?
No, it's like with every twitter user:
"experience anything while being awake enough to type -> Go to Twitter"
Makes you wonder why people don't tweet about how they just breathed in/out all the time.
Unfortunately I know people who are like that with regards to Facebook.

"Just woke up!"
"Getting dressed!"
"Lovely breakfast!
"Here's a photo of what I had for breakfast!"

I WISH I WAS FUCKING JOKING WITH THAT LAST ONE! It's....it's just....maddening. It's so maddening that I can't think of a decent way to politely tell them that nobody gives a shit o_O.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Kuth said:
evilneko said:
I'd call this guy a patent troll too, but apparently it's against the rules to call someone a troll.

So I'll just call him an asshole instead.
Actually the term patent troll comes from different origins than internet troll. A net troll trys to draw attention or evoke a response. A patent troll does no such thing. Patent trolls are specific in that they hold on to patents and sue companies over patents to make money. Many times such companies called patent trolls do nothing more but sue people over patents.

What this company is doing is classic. They are using a software patent, which to even engineers those patents make little sense, and they are doing it in texas, where patent cases are easy to win in.

So yeah, go ahead can call this guy a patent troll, because this is exactly what they are. Trolls.
To elaborate, the origin of, "Patent troll" came along when a guy being sued by one said that the person suing was committing extortion. Well, he got slapped with a slander lawsuit. So he tried to come up with a good legal term, and his daughter happened to like Troll dolls. So he thought about ugly trolls lying in wait, trying to extort a toll out of people crossing their bridge when they didn't do anything to create that bridge. And the term was born, slander suit risk-free.

Also, I think this is the right page (It's not loading for me, but with the connection I have right now Google doesn't load half the time)

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/441/when-patents-attack/

Its a very interesting look into the world of patent law, and why tech patents are the biggest joke in the world.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'm sick of all these patent disputes, all they seem to do is hold back industry innovation and block competition. I really think there has to be some changes to the way patents are done.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
rhizhim said:
patents are there so people dont blatantly rip other peoples ideas off.
just ask china with their Ipud tablets, rulex watch.....
That's trademark infringement, and is all about the outwards appearance of a product.

Patents are about functionality. What would you say about a patent for an "entertainment computer device that displays visual output on a television"?

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Well, how about we patent "the inhalation of air and internal processing thereof's oxygen into carbon dioxide by various living material, including but not exclusively transport via iron-rich blood cells, cellular respiration and the re-expelling for purposes such as extinguishing wax candles on baked goods for special occasions". Let's see how he likes that!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Mouse_Crouse said:
I am starting to think that this kind of thing should be illegal and they should be persecuted. Obviously you should be able to defend a patent, but when people are obviously just buying patents to try to sue. That should not be allowed.
Indeed. There needs to be some changes to the patent system. And by some changes I probably mean a complete overhaul. Hell, I would rather see patents on software outright denied. Feel free to still protect actual code under copyright, but the software industry moves too quickly for a software patent to be particularly useful to anyone except the guy who owns it and just sued everyone else who independently came up with their own implementation. It also avoids the issue of people suing because they hold incredibly vague patents which shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
a system and method ... for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data stored on an electronic device
Isn't that basically every anti-virus/security program ever invented? Personally I think if your going to sue someone for patent infringement you should at least have (by law) a device/software which proves they've copied you because the quote above is just to vague.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
anthony87 said:
Unfortunately I know people who are like that with regards to Facebook.

"Just woke up!"
"Getting dressed!"
"Lovely breakfast!
"Here's a photo of what I had for breakfast!"

I WISH I WAS FUCKING JOKING WITH THAT LAST ONE! It's....it's just....maddening. It's so maddening that I can't think of a decent way to politely tell them that nobody gives a shit o_O.
Maybe we're just too mad to understand their totally sane and reasonable behavior
(actually, my current theory is that all people are in denial about reality, as we're able to calculate it properly to a certain degree, but cannot accept our insignificance emotionally, so our mind takes the most colorful shapes to compensate : D! )

captcha: "go berserk"
AS YOU WISH, ESCAPIST.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
The Dickmobile? There has never been a more fitting name to a vehicle. Hopefully he gets landed with an astronomical amount of debt.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
That guy certainly does look like someone who rides around in the DickMobile ("dick" as in jerk). I really hope that Notch destroys this loser to the point where he becomes like the douche PR guy in the scandle over the 3rd party controller customer service back in December. He thought he was all tough with his BS list of contacts that had no idea who the hell he was. Now he's essentially been black-balled by the entire internet and can't find any work because no one will hire him for their PR. Well no shit.

Anyways, I'm hoping this patent leech gets absolutely destroyed like that as well. He reminds me of the Westboro Baptist Church, going to funerals and other events just to hold horrifically offensive protests in the hopes that someone gets angry at them and throws a punch or something, at which point they IMMEDIATELY sue for as much as they possibly can. And since the majority of the higher-ups in that church are actually lawyers, they normally win. It's just a scam, a dispicable scam the same as the one this loser is trying to pull.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
newdarkcloud said:
What a jerkwad. I'm getting real tired of these constant patent disputes.
I also am getting tired of them.

He won't get a cent anyway they'll either crush him or drag it out so he goes bankrupt from legal fees.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
This is ridiculous. I hope these patent trolls don't get a penny, not from any of those companies. They ought to pool their legal resources for this and countersue.

Notch posted a copy of the litigation papers:

http://notch.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/mojang.pdf

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
rhizhim said:
Adam Jensen said:
I fuckin' hate patents. Ideas should be free for everyone as long as people are not blatantly ripping other peoples ideas off.

These guys are obvious patent trolls. And as such they should be shot.
that...doesnt make any sense.

patents are there so people dont blatantly rip other peoples ideas off.
just ask china with their Ipud tablets, rulex watch.....
Wow, I want to go to star fucks now.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dickmobile...Seriously? Is this a late April Fool's joke?

Captcha: Lame Duck.

More like "Lame Dick," am I right?

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
This is really the patent office's fault at the end of the day, but people like this make me sick.

Let me clarify though: Patents aren't a bad thing, but they need to be more specific, and instances of patent infringement should be obvious. When people see these Chineese knockoffs, they actually aren't usually even infringing on much of the technology, what they're trying to do is borrow the brand. They're attempting to use a name your recognize to con you into buying a product. But what we have right now, is legions of small companies patenting all sorts of vague, general ideas for hardware and software (EG: A button wherein is placed on the side of the device, the antenna is on the INSIDE of the device) and suing anyone that they can with them.