Molyneux Calls Fable 2 Messy and Rushed

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Molyneux Calls Fable 2 Messy and Rushed

Got a list of things you didn't like about Fable 2? Well, so does Peter Molyneux.

Fable 2 has come under fire today from the strangest of sources: the guy in charge of making it. Speaking at the Develop conference, Peter Molyneux said that the game had plenty of problems, and said that Fable 3 wouldn't repeat them.

Molyneux said that Lionhead had rushed in the latter stages of Fable 2's development, which meant that some things were inevitably messy and others had to be cut. At one point, Molyneux said, the game had a staggering 67,000 bugs, more than any game that Microsoft had ever seen. He thought that Lionhead had failed to focus on the Fable 2's unique selling points, and that research had revealed that gamers had used only 60% of the game's features.

"We had this terrible phase where, the world looks this beautiful with this many game features, and then slowly transitioned into being less beautiful," he said. "That's why we had to reduce down what we had. But, to be honest with you, there were also huge design flaws in Fable 2."

Not everything on his list was quite so serious though; one of his complaints was that he wasn't happy with the game's female characters, saying they looked like "Russian shot putters," and that Fable 3's women would have "curves and soft bits."

Lionhead hasn't been able to address all of his concerns however, and he said that he was sure that Fable 3 would be criticized for its loading times: "I hate loading. I really hate it," he said. "We tried to minimize it. But we've got a big problem. Because a lot of our world is persistent, we can't afford the memory. We tried and experimented with trying to stream load it, but we didn't actually get it working."

Fable 3 is due to be released on 26th October for Xbox 360 and PC.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/molyneux-fable-2-was-rushed]

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I see Molyneux is off his meds again. Or on them. I'm never entirely sure. It just seems that the man will spout just about anything, at any point, and actually believes that Milo is a real boy.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
That's good news for me, because I absolutely loved Fable 2, so hopefully, Fable 3 will improve on many of the points.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Isn't the same with Fable 1?

I never liked Fable, the games always felt messy and rushed. But at least he agrees with this. Maybe Fable 3 will be different, but I do not have my hopes too high, somewhere in the center of the earth like every one of my hopes.

Jul 22, 2009
I'm glad he acknowledges them... he just sets the bar too high.

Give him the most powerful computer to date and he'll probably create a new earth.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Peter Molyneux, admiting that his game is short of perfection?!?

REPENT!!! THE END IS NIGH!!!

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Oh wow. I respect his honesty. Good for you, Peter Molyneux. Hope you would be able to admit that you are an overhyping game designer.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Radeonx said:
That's good news for me, because I absolutely loved Fable 2, so hopefully, Fable 3 will improve on many of the points.
Same here, Fable 2 was REALLY fun.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I get the sense that Fable 3 will be more rushed than 2.

I do like Molyneux though, you get the feeling that he really enjoys what he does.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Er... Okay. Better late then never I suppose. Honestly I think he's only doing this to get more sales for the third installment. Peter Molyneux should switch his career from game developing to developing a high priced sales pitch of some kind... or write speaches for politicians... or become a lobbyist. Pretty much anything that makes vague promises sound great.

Having said that, I enjoyed both the Fable games. They weren't what we were promised, but good enough to keep me interested to the end a few times.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Everyone complained about Fable 2 women on their official forums, so I'm sure we'll actually get some good looking ones this time around.

Haha, I really wanna see this list actually, at least some of the more light hearted ones.

Neither the less, I'm sure Fable 3 is shaping up to be just grand. Very happy Stephen Fry is back, also.