Molyneux Calls Himself A "Talentless Bastard"

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
John Funk said:
Fable III was inspired by things like UK soap opera Coronation Street...
So instead of being followed by a dog you will be followed by hotpot and have to take out whole mobs of angry Manchester United fans?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting inspirations to say the least. Think I shall take a read of this!

And as for talent...don't think he lacks that, just needs to tone down hype a little lol

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
I feel less and less inclined to get Fable III whenever Molyneux announces ANYTHING, even if it doesn't regard the game itself. I'm still wondering how the hell something like fable was inspired by coronation street, how!?

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
"Talentless Bastard?" No no no no no Peter, you ain't talentless, you're just overeager.

Calm down a bit and your games will be friggin' masterpeices!

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
Maybe people don't use the mechanics because they are pointless. Honestly, I went into Fable expecting a much deeper experience than the one I saw, and if anything, it was overly simple and just attempted to look complex. It was fun, but yeah, not complicated.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Well I do know that Fable 2 was a bitter disappointment compared to number one.

The arena in Fable 2 was appalling compared to the awesome one in the first game.

I also thought as said in the article that the emotes were either for fart emotes/insult emotes or for grinding up with.

Normalgamer

Dec 21, 2009
Rect Pola said:
Funny thing about Molyneux is that when he promises the Moon and Stars, I get the feeling that he genuinely wanted to deliver and gets as disappointed as we do when he doesn't.
I agree, he may dissapoint us(Sometimes, I don't know I still quite liked Black and White 2), but he probably dissapointed himself alot more when his games didn't do well critic-wise.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
robinkom said:
At least he admits it.

Maybe he finally gets it... I'm sure someone told him all that along the way before but he was too caught up in his "visions" to listen. Sounds a little like Jack Emmert. :p

Maybe now he can go back and do a HD re-release of "The Movies" with all the proper content inserted back in. Or not... wishful thinking.
Or release Bc. Seriously, Dinosaurs, Cavemen come on.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
I wonder what game features he's referring to...
well... other than that bullshit emote system.
Yeah... Peter... emotes don't fit into a single-player game AT ALL. They only work for MMOs.
I would be worried that Fable 3 is going to be an MMO... but seeing as PC gamers like myself didn't get to play Fable II (so I have no valid opinion of it)... I don't really see why I should care... I'm not even sure why I'm bothering to post this...
It's going to be an RTS/City building sim. I'm officially callng it right now.

Nov 28, 2007
Outlaw Torn said:
John Funk said:
Fable III was inspired by things like UK soap opera Coronation Street...
So instead of being followed by a dog you will be followed by hotpot and have to take out whole mobs of angry Manchester United fans?
I'm sold. When is this game coming out?

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
A bit off topic, but does he remind anyone else of <link=http://bioshock.wikia.com/wiki/Sander_Cohen>Sander Cohen?

I mean, he doesn't plaster over gamer's corpses, but every time I read a quote of his I can just hear Sander Cohen saying it in my head. Quick, has he been shouting at people for being doubters?

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
What? What does he mean "overcomplicated"? Fable 2 wasn't complicated at all! you held A to run very fast and you tapped it to jump over things and you tapped X to attack and you tapped it quickly to string your attacks and you held it to block and held it while pointing at someone to charge up an attack and you pressed Y to used ranged attacks and used that and LT to target people's body parts and held it down to zoom in and used RT to cycle magic and collect experience and you held down B to use magic and you used LB to display your karma something-or-another and then you bought the houses and refurbished them and sold them or rented them out and then you...

Oh. I see what he means.

Well, best of luck, Peter. You're doing good work.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
The full interview with Peter Molyneux is a very fascinating read [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235704] in which he divulges that Fable III was inspired by things like UK soap opera Coronation Street and US President Barack Obama.
OK, that juxtaposition almost forces me to read it.

And interesting it was. Made me think at least.

But really Peter, if you KNOW people are going to Twitter everything you say, keep your mouth shtum. And that's coming from one of the most prolific posters here ;)

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
Why won't he just give my character some goddamn dialogue lines? While a picture may say more than a thousand words, I rather like words.

And farting in morse and poking people really has somewhat limited communication applications.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
Thank god for his sudden epiphany, however, I still want him to make games as we need someone to come out with WRPGs these days. Can't leave it all to Bethesda and Bioware.
Yes, yes we can. I'd have more time for Peter Molyneux and his false modesty if it didn't seem like all his games were created by eight year olds, for eight year olds. From what I've heard of Fable III, we have more farting and preening to look forward to, and even less character development/fun game mechanics.

Yah, I'll happily hand all my WRPG credits over to Bioware and Bethesda. At least they can create a set of characters I would actually like to impress with my talent in farting. Oh, and their games are fun to play. Yeah, that too.